Ladies LP 2:00 AM Eastern Time Saturday | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP 2:00 AM Eastern Time Saturday

Medusa

Record Breaker
Sorry folks who used to say Rachael should be on the team because she can consistently be relied on to put out clean 7 triple programs--- but now she's got neither consistency nor interesting programs. Last one I really enjoyed was her 2008 silver winning free program at Nationals. She now doesn't even seem to have consistency and fully-rotated jumps to boast of, and I don't see much improvement in her speed. Definitely see Mirai, Ashley better than her this season.
Rachael didn't get one underrotation call here. It's much easier to sort out minor mistakes like step-outs, than underrotations. She also improves as the season goes along. My bet is on her.

cornell08

Final Flight
I actually think she's been given a free pass at quite a couple of triples that looked underrotated, now and in the past.

Even with consistency, her skating just does nothing for me I guess...especially those horrible spins, posture and spiral.

sorcerer

Final Flight
OMG! Akiko's dress is so adorable!
I just watched the broadcast of CoC on TV-Asahi (only selected skaters of their own criteria, d***)
Shizuka (doing the commentary) admitted that SHE designed the costume for Akiko's LP. She says she'll refine it for Akiko as the season passes.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I actually think she's been given a free pass at quite a couple of triples that looked underrotated, now and in the past.

Even with consistency, her skating just does nothing for me I guess...especially those horrible spins, posture and spiral.

What I see is that if Rachael misses a few jumps or gets a little sloppy - there is nothing else about her skating that stands out or racks up the points. Her spins, spirals, speed are all average or below average. She looked a little more juniorish to me this year than last year. But maybe she will skate better at SA.

Charlotte Elizabeth

On the Ice
I just watched the broadcast of CoC on TV-Asahi (only selected skaters of their own criteria, d***)
Shizuka (doing the commentary) admitted that SHE designed the costume for Akiko's LP. She says she'll refine it for Akiko as the season passes.
She's better to take off the cardi :cool:

fairly4

Medalist
i know i will get into trouble,but joannie ur her first two jumps--the combo and the 2nd one, halfway in the program she ur the jump the one right after the fall.
if they didn't catch it i am sorry-but she should have definitley got negative goes on those jumps. to me joannie was given that score i would have her about a 105.

kiira--a 102 with what she did, she should had a 98-99

mirai--changed her landing on her jumps after she landed them, in other words she landed on one edge and to HOLD the jump she switch to the wrong edge.
like rachel, alissa, ashley, carolina and sasha does on two jumps.be confident in your landings, don't change edges after you land on correct edge.

rachel --what can i say--be sure of yourself.

ks777

Record Breaker
I finally watched Mirai's LP.. I know her jumps suck but what can I say, I still love her skating and her personality.

fairly4

Medalist
i forgot Akiko great skate--outside of the first combo--you was rock solid on all your jumps, keep improving artistry--you will be a force to reckon with.

macemace1980

Rinkside
Could someone explain to me better how it was possible Akiko got level4 for the spins? Because I really don't understand the system to me, her spins were not beautiful at all.
Her steps were nice, but I do not like her spins and jumps.
I prefer Joannie's LP choreography, music and dress.

amateur

Final Flight
I think Joannie got a slight bit behind her music; i noticed it at the spiral sequence and at the last section, which is maybe why she ended up losing some levels. I thought she looked nervous at the start of this Free Skate too. She has quite an excellent record in the free skate though - 6-triples on an off-day! Compare that to what we've seen on an off-day from any other top skater not named YuNa... it's really the SP that continues to make it or break it for her, been that way throughout her career... She has fabulous programs this year, I'm really happy about them. Very much a contender.

Coming in JUST behind Kiira Korpi (overscored much?) in this competition seems a bit hard to swallow; Joannie's SP did not help matters, and I'm sure she'd be the last to complain, but still....

Last edited:

mad6ame2

Rinkside
Joannie obviously had a rough SP but she has such high quality skating and her programs look very special this season. I hope she qualifies for the GPF with a strong skate at Skate Canada.

ks777

Record Breaker
Could someone explain to me better how it was possible Akiko got level4 for the spins? Because I really don't understand the system to me, her spins were not beautiful at all.
Her steps were nice, but I do not like her spins and jumps.
I prefer Joannie's LP choreography, music and dress.

Akiko really needs to work on her spins. Her positions on the spins could be so much better.. but her steps and skating skills are great.

Trewyn

Medalist

Rachael's spins annoy me the most. It you can't handle a bielman position; don't try it. That thing she does that's in between a donut and a bielman; really unpleasant to watch imo! She also does nothing for me in general. I also feel she looks a bit heavy on the ice. But I thought she looked better with a ponytail than with a bun. Reminds me of Joannie's ponytail :). I feel sorry for Rachael; she gets criticized for her posture and her 'flatness'; I'm sure she's trying to work on it...

kalle

On the Ice
I like Mirai out there, jumps or not, she has great personality and really good programs :love:
I hope her LP score motivates her to go home and work and work..She has so much potential but is it too early this year to get it all "together"..
Was it not Ando that was penalized for a lot of her 3 jumps in the beginning of the last season but by Worlds they were really good?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
What site can I go to to get all the results of the Grand Prix events? Thanks.......42

lakeshore

Match Penalty
Joannie's program looks awesome. :clap: I didn't care much for her a few years ago, but she has improved so much.

Watching Rachael and Joannie back to back is simply not flattering. It's such a sad thing that American ladies' skating has declined to such a dismal status. I mean, Rachael as the top American skater? Bring back Sasha. I'd rather watch her fall three times than watch Flattttt.

I hate the UR calls. Mirai is simply the best American lady out there without the stupid calls.

I hope Akiko will punch a ticket for Vancouver. Don't care much about the wrapped-leg-queen.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Save Wagner at COR, the US ladies have been abysmal so far IMHO. Just when you think it couldn't get any worse...the field is so competitive here but the overall level of skating just isn't up to par with the world's best any more...

And even Wagner's score for her routine- that's probably about as good as it's gonna get unless she really fixes her jumps. She was fortunate but let's see how she does in Japan. She actually has a chance at the GPF if she medals but even if she does squeeze in, she won't have a chance against most of the field. Still, it may help her get on the Oly team in the event of a nailbiter at Nats.