Vancouver Podium (Men) | Golden Skate

Vancouver Podium (Men)

Which men will be on the olympic podium?

• Daisuke Takahashi

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

Votes: 65 69.9%
  • Evan Lysacek

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • Nobunari Oda

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Samuel Contesti

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Stephane Lambiel

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Patrick Chan

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Brian Joubert

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Tomas Verner

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Takahiko Kozuka

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

dannyascii

On the Ice
Pretty straight forward. Which three men are going to be on the olympic podium.

EDIT: I realize I probably should have made an "other" category. I made the choices based mainly off of 2009 Worlds placements.

Last edited:

dannyascii

On the Ice
So, I'm thinking 1) Takahashi 2) Plushenko and 3) Chan
This year is a really exciting year for men, and I think all 10 of the guys above could get on the podium if they skated to their full potential to be honest. It's going to come down to consistency, stamina and the individual performance. I think Takahashi is a brilliant showman. I don't love his programs this year, but if he can come back skating to the level he was in 2008, I really think he'll be hard to beat. Plushenko's jumps will get him high TES, even if his artistry and spins aren't to the level of others. Chan...it all depends on if he's gotten his 3A worked out yet. If his jumps can be moderately consistent and he really plays up his edges, spins and expression, he could be in the hunt.
Lambiel, Oda, and Joubert are all waiting in the wings if one of those three has an off day. I love Oda's programs this year and Joubert is looking surprisingly artistic. I mean...his artistry is still not great...but hey, it's a start...:p

mad6ame2

Rinkside
I voted for Takahashi, Oda, and Lambiel.

I love Takahashi's SP, and Oda has been so consistent this year (I just hope he doesn't burn out by the time Vancouver comes around...
For me, it was either Lambiel or Plushenko...and it came down to personal preference. Not necessarily skill. Plushenko's basic skating and spins are weak in comparison to the Takahashi, Oda, Lambiel, Lysacek, Chan, etc.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's so hard to know when we don't truly know who will be in the running next Feb. most federations haven't even started talking about picking a team yet

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It would be funny if it were none of those listed above.

lcd

Match Penalty
My thought too. Is there a "Paul Wylie" in this year's crop?

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
It's much too hard to predict this year's podium - there are so many possibilities. I juts went with whome I'd like to see!

jennylovskt

Medalist

You are joking!:) I wouldn't, in a million years, believe that could happen.

I voted Plushenko, Joubert, and Chan. It's hard to predict, I know. I think there are many could be possible end up on the podium, such as Takahashi, Oda, Lysacek, Lambiel ...

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Yes, for example Abbott, Brezina and Javier :laugh:

I predict Lysachek and Plushenko as first and second. Third is between Brian, Chan and Oda. I put my vote on Oda because he has consistent jumps and, though I am a bit tired of Chaplin, his program is a crowd pleaser. Brian will be too nervous to succeed and Chan will have too many jump falls.

Haha, that's what I think right now. My real predictions come February 16, 2010.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Oh, Please, Please, no, no, no!:bow::bow::bow: I couldn't even think about how dreadful that would be. You mean Plushenko and Lysacek as first and second, right?!:yes::biggrin:

I think Evan will be above Plushy because he has more difficulties and better skating between the jumps. Well, well, none of them are my dream guy standing on the top of the podium in Vancouver…just a prediction :biggrin:

jennylovskt

Medalist
I am just wondering what would make up more points, the jumps or the transitions?

Seriously, why is Plushenko better than Lysacek?

1. Plushenko has the real deal and real power. He can jump.

2. Plushenko has the ability to be the best artist. Everything Lysacek does, Plushenko could do better (except the flailing arms, of course).

3. Plushenko knows better than any one how to work CoP.:p

4. Plushenko didn't just sit there and rest after he has passed his first milestone on the come back trail at Rostel (except a few days when he was sick.)

5. There is just no way that the judges would place a clean Lysacek above a clean Plushenko.:yes:

Edited to add:

Just got the info that Plushenko is injured.:cry: He must recover soon and in time for the Olympics!

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
With the injuries we've been seeing :eek: , I'm going to wait until early February and see who's still left standing before making any predictions.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My dream wish is a podium of Stephane Lambiel, Jeremy Abbott, Takahiko Kozuka, Tomas Verner, Shawn Sawyer, and Yannick Ponsero. Yes, my podium has 6 platforms and all 6 win gold medals! A guy can dream! :love:

futureidol

On the Ice
No vote from me, Weir needs to be included

I've been lurking for a long time (I usually post on the IN boards), but I could not get past this Poll! It's utterly ridiculous not to include 2009 GPF Bronze medalist, NHK Trophy Silver medalist and master of grace and strength Johnny Weir in the Poll. Chan didn't even get a medal on the GP circuit (in his home country) and he's on there. :rofl:

Anyway from my lurking I've garnered there are a lot of Lysacek and Plushenko fans here. Well I've joined to even out the numbers a bit. I'm a hardcore Weir fan and I will be playing a ton of defense on these boards in the future I'm sure. I also was a :bow: Yagudin fanatic before Weir was in the picture, so Plushenko is pure evil to me. Here's hoping that artistry combined with power triumphs in Vancouver. MY PODIUM: WEIR, TAKAHASHI, LAMBIEL

plushyta

On the Ice
Anyway from my lurking I've garnered there are a lot of Lysacek and Plushenko fans here. Well I've joined to even out the numbers a bit. I'm a hardcore Weir fan and I will be playing a ton of defense on these boards in the future I'm sure. I also was a :bow: Yagudin fanatic before Weir was in the picture, so Plushenko is pure evil to me.
:eek: Why thus you think, about the poor, sweety Plushy? :cry: :laugh:

I love Plushenko :love:.... but love and Weir :love: - which, on the other hand, most loves and respects Plushy of the skaters ;) .... you should trust to your "idol" :p

futureidol

On the Ice
:eek: Why thus you think, about the poor, sweety Plushy? :cry: :laugh:

I love Plushenko :love:.... but love and Weir :love: - which, on the other hand, most loves and respects Plushy of the skaters ;) .... you should trust to your "idol" :p

I respect Plushenko's ability as a skater and jump technician, but I do not care for his ego. I do not share Johnny's taste when it comes to skaters he admires because that would mean becoming a Plushy and Yu-Na fan. Also I would like to see a non soviet skater win the gold in Vancouver (not because I have anything against Russia, it's just been a mighty long winning streak and I want to see someone break it), just as long as it's NOT Lysacek. :laugh: But I'm glad you can appreciate Weir and Plushenko. I just cannot relate to Plushenko's skating no matter how hard I try.

Also to the person who laughed at my dream podium: I don't see how mine is any more humorous than some of the others. I would like to see North America, Europe and Asia represented on the podium, what's wrong with that? Keep your judgment to yourself.