Countdown to Sasha's Return | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Countdown to Sasha's Return

Ugh. For some bizarre reason when she was competing she brought out an obsessive nastiness in what seemed like a lot of posters. They couldn't just ignore her or comment that she had a fall like any other skater. It was always that she blew the gold medal, she was lazy, she lied, she had crappy skating skills - it went on and on. I've been on these boards since 2006 and never seen another skater treated like that. Anyway, it's quieted down a lot since she stopped competing. If she gets one of the USA's two Olympic spots I'm sure there will be a revival of Sasha-bashing. :disagree:

And then Dee and I will start up our patrol again. ;)

Tango_D_R

Rinkside
Ugh. For some bizarre reason when she was competing she brought out an obsessive nastiness in what seemed like a lot of posters. They couldn't just ignore her or comment that she had a fall like any other skater. It was always that she blew the gold medal, she was lazy, she lied, she had crappy skating skills - it went on and on. I've been on these boards since 2006 and never seen another skater treated like that. Anyway, it's quieted down a lot since she stopped competing. If she gets one of the USA's two Olympic spots I'm sure there will be a revival of Sasha-bashing. :disagree:

And then Dee and I will start up our patrol again. ;)

Really?.. :unsure:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Really?.. :unsure:

Seriously...I've been on the boards since 2002 and the Hughes sisters (particularly Sarah) have been trashed a LOT more than Cohen ever has. And Tara Lipinski I think has them all beat...with the rightful exception of Tonya Harding, she has had the most vitriol spewed at her it seems...

Not saying Cohen hasn't been trashed...there were some posters in the "old days" of GS that made it their mission to take her down a notch...but I really think the "Sasha-bashing" situation is being way over-dramatized. Posters are critical of her but critical does not equal bashing. Anyway, i think some of the harshest comments toward Cohen recently have actually come from her own fans (perhaps in frustration). Nonfans just don't think she will do it...most of them anyway.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Agreed with R.D...most elite skaters get picked apart and trashed on occasion but their fans come out in droves to defend. Sasha has a lot of fans who jump right in...from both ends. Look back at threads after Oly and Worlds 2006, you'd think Sasha purposely threw the Gold away to disappoint her fans.

I do think a lot of the anti-Sasha feelings came up because she was anointed the Next Best Thing Ever and a lot of things that came out of her mouth and her camp's mouth were not very PR savvy. I mean, you gotta have oodles of confidence in your abilities to be an elite skater, cocky even, but FS paints this "pweety little pwincess" theme and many of Sasha's antics coupled with Nicks PR campaign didn't fit the mold. Plus, she was constantly praised by the media for being this technically great skater, and those of us who have followed skating for years wonder why no one pointed out the blantant flutz (my FAVE huh?? moment is at 2005 Nats when Dick showed Sasha's 3lz/2t and said,"Technically just perfect!" or something like that, flutz and hand down), the habit of landing on the wrong edge, the not so deep edging and lack of speed/power and ice coverage the elite skaters have. Instead, we heard about a 4sal and the ability to touch her knee to her ear.

This is NOT to say Sasha is the weakest elite skater of her time-she had beautiful positions in everything she did from the ankles up, and few had better air positions in their jumps-super flat back, tight rotation and pointed toes.

That said, I hope Sasha comes back if she is capable of performing up to her own standards. If not, there are plenty other skaters to watch and I wish her best in her future endeavors.

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
As I recall, there was a period (probably through the 2001-02 season) where she came in for a lot of criticism for some of her behavior. Back in the newsgroups of the day, she'd acquired the nickname Li'l Miss Thang for some not very gracious or sportsmanlike comments and antics (notably bird dogging Kwan in the 2002 nats warm-ups).

As she matured and her behavior improved that nickname disappeared and I've never perceived that she's been criticised more than anyone else since.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
).

As she matured and her behavior improved that nickname disappeared and I've never perceived that she's been criticised more than anyone else since.

except maybe Caroline Zhang.

gsrossano

Final Flight
So now that Sasha is officially out of Skate America, what are the quesses that she will be ready for nationals, and actually compete there. Is Sasha's comeback over?

R.D.

Record Breaker
She's DONE. Just like a roasted turkey...stick a fork in her, shift the focus to promising American skaters (mainly talking to NBC here )

Last edited:

Ginask8s

On the Ice
It's going to kill you when she shows up at Nationals (and wins). :biggrin:

If Sasha were a gymnast I would agree with you . She is not tough enough to come back. I am a HUGE fan of hers, and bought my ticket to SA because of her return, so dont think I am bashing her, but I think she is done.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She who laughs last, laughs best. :yes:

That's exactly what I told those who tried to say I was wrong and rub it in when she announced her "comeback" in the first place. Now who's getting the last laugh? :laugh:

BTW, I'm actually a "he" (you may or may not know already)

That's exactly what I told those who tried to say I was wrong and rub it in when she announced her "comeback" in the first place. Now who's getting the last laugh? :laugh:

BTW, I'm actually a "he" (you may or may not know already)
Huh? I was referring to myself, or perhaps Sasha (or Dee!). The last laugh won't come until Nats. Just because you're calling it doesn't mean the game is over. I believe that as an umpire you're self-anointed. :)