Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Countdown to Sasha's Return

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    who are we kidding? Mark my words, she won't be there.
    She who laughs last, laughs best.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    It's going to kill you when she shows up at Nationals (and wins).
    If Sasha were a gymnast I would agree with you . She is not tough enough to come back. I am a HUGE fan of hers, and bought my ticket to SA because of her return, so dont think I am bashing her, but I think she is done.

Down With It
    She who laughs last, laughs best.
    That's exactly what I told those who tried to say I was wrong and rub it in when she announced her "comeback" in the first place. Now who's getting the last laugh?

BTW, I'm actually a "he" (you may or may not know already)

Tripping on the Podium
    who are we kidding? Mark my words, she won't be there.
    Round 3

That's exactly what I told those who tried to say I was wrong and rub it in when she announced her "comeback" in the first place. Now who's getting the last laugh?

BTW, I'm actually a "he" (you may or may not know already)
    Huh? I was referring to myself, or perhaps Sasha (or Dee!). The last laugh won't come until Nats. Just because you're calling it doesn't mean the game is over. I believe that as an umpire you're self-anointed.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango_D_R View Post
    Round 3
    Precisely, but of course most of us can see it coming. Time to move on!

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Bummer.

Don't know what else to say.

Medalist
    She's Done. Great career, marevelous skater,just falls short.

Custom Title
    Precisely, but of course most of us can see it coming. Time to move on!
    No, not yet. First we all have to by our tickets to Nationals because Sasha MIGHT just be there.

Though truthfully, the men's event alone will be worth the price of the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Though truthfully, the men's event alone will be worth the price of the ticket.
    Ladies, too. Although the U.S. ladies will not be favorites to win a medal at the Olympics, winning the U.S. championship and/or making the Olympic team will be a huge achievement and honor for someone. This is the first time in years (ever?) that there is not one or two clear favorites. It's all up for grabs among five or six equally matched athletes. I think it will be a great competition -- even better in the unlikely event that Sasha shows.

Does anyone think the USFSA might now be pressuring Sasha NOT to compete at Nationals? If she wins, they might be afraid of another Olympic debacle like Michelle in 2006, in light of her injury.

I'm not given to conspiracy theories, but I could actually imagine this. They wouldn't have to force her or anything, just keep reminding her how much is riding on those two at the Olympics... and how much they would rather see one of the young 'uns there. (That's how it works in Bette Davis movies. All it takes is an unsubtle hint. She's no dummy. )

OTOH, they can always have an understudy warming up in the wings, like Emily last time.

Some people talk darkly of the USFSA but I've never heard such rumors confirmed from anyone who seemed knowledgeable. I wonder how much they really try to control who goes to Worlds or the Olympics.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Does anyone think the USFSA might now be pressuring Sasha NOT to compete at Nationals? If she wins, they might be afraid of another Olympic debacle like Michelle in 2006, in light of her injury.
    no way. If Sasha shows at Nationals ticket sales go up three fold and TV ratings also rise. They would rather have her take the gold anyday over one of these youngsters who have yet to prove themselves.
    And how was 2006 an "olympic debacle?" it is not like a big name got kicked off the team because of Michelle. Sasha was the favorite, she won nats and came in as the fav with Irina. Michelle was the sentimental can "can she finally do it" candidate (like sasha would be now), and when Emily got the chance to go, she had a good attitude about it and skated with no pressure.

Custom Title
    There is no need for pressure. The USFSA has stated they will use several international events, as well as Nationals, to pick the Olympic team. Even if Sasha wins Nationals, the USFSA could leave her off the team and be within the rules.

A few of us have been going over the mathamatics of the Grand Prix Final. If all our eigenvectors are correct, there will be exactly one American lady in the Final. Who that is has yet to be determined. That lady will have an advantage come time to pick the team.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    That lady will have an advantage come time to pick the team.
    ...if she does well at the Grand Prix finals. The rules do not say anything about just making the finals. Same with last years worlds. Rachael got 5th, but she did not show that she can skate with the top guns. Caroline's performance at last years's Four Continents and team trophy don't count, as I read the rules.

I think it will be a clean slate, come Nationals, unless Ashley Wagner does something remarkable. Right now I do not see any upside at all for the USFSA to jigger the Olympic team.

If Sasha gets first or second at Nationals, I cnanot think of any reason in the world not to put her on the Olympic team. If she doesn't, I do not see any reason to put her on. As TinyMavy said about Toriino, putting Michelle on the team, even though she later had to withdraw -- far from being a debacle, everything turned out for the best for all concerned.

I don't think the USFSA will start playing mind games this year.

Down With It
    But this is also the first time that there are no clear favorites. IMHO, the pick this year is not obvious at all, while it was in previous years...

I assume that Cohen won't bother with a petition- I don't think it would do her much good anyway, not having skated for 4 years AND being injured.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast