Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Countdown to Sasha's Return

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ...if she does well at the Grand Prix finals. The rules do not say anything about just making the finals. Same with last years worlds. Rachael got 5th, but she did not show that she can skate with the top guns. Caroline's performance at last years's Four Continents and team trophy don't count, as I read the rules.
    As I see it, Rachael's performance at Worlds earns some brownie points for Nationals - exactly how many, I can's say. Caroline's performances at Four Continents and Junior Worlds earn some points. Ashley's performance at JW earn points as well. I must conclude making it to the Final will earn points to whichever lady makes it. If that lady also makes the Final podium, that, ladies and gents, is a stamped ticket to Vancouver.

Edit : The point is that Sasha does not have any brownie points - zero, zip, nada, nichts, arc cosine of 1. Even if she wins Nats, she may, and may not, make the Olympic team.
    Last edited by PolymerBob; 11-10-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Actually I've been lurking around both GS and FSU forums for almost 3 or 4 years.
    I pretty much followed decent amount of threads and posts throughout the years.
    But that's not the point.
    Sometimes it's hard to stay objective when it comes to one's favorite skaters.
    I mean.. aren't we all?
    All I'm trying to say is, relax a bit.
    I'm not trying to offend you in any ways, hope you don't get it wrong.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    As I see it, Rachael's performance at Worlds earns some brownie points for Nationals - exactly how many, I can's say. Caroline's performances at Four Continents and Junior Worlds earn some points. Ashley's performance at JW earn points as well. I must conclude making it to the Final will earn points to whichever lady makes it. If that lady also makes the Final podium, that, ladies and gents, is a stamped ticket to Vancouver.

How about something like this, Rochette 3rd at SC so,
    Kim, Ando, Leonova, Wagner, Akiko, Zhang/Flatt/Czisny

and the scores came out like this at the Final.

1. Kim - 210
    2. Ando - 180
    3. Wagner - 155
    4. US - 154.7
    5. Akiko - 154.5
    6. Leonova - 154

Wagner off the podium at Natls.

This will be very very confusing.. will the scores matter into consideration?.. I dunno

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango_D_R View Post
    How about something like this, Rochette 3rd at SC so,
    Kim, Ando, Leonova, Wagner, Akiko, Zhang/Flatt/Czisny

and the scores came out like this at the Final.

1. Kim - 210
    2. Ando - 180
    3. Wagner - 155
    4. US - 154.7
    5. Akiko - 154.5
    6. Leonova - 154

Wagner off the podium at Natls.

This will be very very confusing.. will the scores matter into consideration?.. I dunno
    Well, it may not be that confusing. The math of the Grand Prix Final seems to indicate that if one more American makes the Final, Ashley gets bumped. So Alissa or Caroline ( not both ) can make the Final by winning Skate Canada over Joannie. And Rachael can make it by winning Skate America over Yu-Na. Accomplishments like that will certainly turn heads at the USFSA.

Tripping on the Podium
    Well, it may not be that confusing. The math of the Grand Prix Final seems to indicate that if one more American makes the Final, Ashley gets bumped. So Alissa or Caroline ( not both ) can make the Final by winning Skate Canada over Joannie. And Rachael can make it by winning Skate America over Yu-Na. Accomplishments like that will certainly turn heads at the USFSA.
    Oh I meant, scores comes out something like that, so Wagner will be in the podium at the Final.. in a rather depressing scores.
    and at Natls the scores are something like,

1. Zhang - 179
    2. Flatt - 178
    3. Nagasu - 157
    4. Czisny - 156
    5. Wagner - 155

Would Wagner will be likely to earn one of the Oly spots?

ETA : Joannie below 3rd place in SC, there can be two US ladies in the Finals.. right?
    Last edited by Tango_D_R; 11-10-2009 at 08:22 PM.

It is an interesting debate as to whether the USFSA might take into account other factors than placement at U.S. Nationals, or whether it will be business as usual.

Unfortunately for us, I think the probability is close to zero that we will find out this year what the intentions of the USFSA might have been. The chances seem remote that any U.S. lady will accomplish anything this year that will make anyone sit up and take notice, before Nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango_D_R View Post
    Oh I meant, scores comes out something like that, so Wagner will be in the podium at the Final.. in a rather depressing scores.
    and at Natls the scores are something like,

1. Zhang - 179
    2. Flatt - 178
    3. Nagasu - 157
    4. Czisny - 156
    5. Wagner - 155

Would Wagner will be likely to earn one of the Oly spots?

ETA : Joannie below 3rd place in SC, there can be two US ladies in the Finals.. right?
    My guess is that if Ashley had a fantastic skate and made the Final podium, then had a bad skate at Nationals, she just may make the Olympic team. If Alissa and Rachael made the Final podium, after beating Yu-Na and Joannie to get there, then they would likely be our team.

Realistically, I think there will be one U.S. lady at the Final. Either Ashley, Alissa or Caroline.

Custom Title
    Oh, Mathman, I very much fear that you're right. We're not shining very brightly this year.

And no rescuer waiting in the wings to leap in (on inflamed tendon) and save us.

Tripping on the Podium
    My guess is that if Ashley had a fantastic skate and made the Final podium, then had a bad skate at Nationals, she just may make the Olympic team. If Alissa and Rachael made the Final podium, after beating Yu-Na and Joannie to get there, then they would likely be our team.

Realistically, I think there will be one U.S. lady at the Final. Either Ashley, Alissa or Caroline.

Yes, I was just wondering what it would be like if Ashley made the Final podium with relatively poor skating(in order to do so, I had to hypothetically remove Joannie out of the Final) and then had bad skate at Natls.

Anyways it looks most likely that the entries to the GPF will be something like this,
    Kim, Ando, Rochette, Akiko, Leonova, Ashley

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I think that USFSA will just go with the top two at nationals unless there was a clear leader during the GP who made the GPF and then either was injured at nationals or otherwise did not skate up to par. As all the ladies are, more or less equal, they will pick the top two to avoid the HUGE outburst that will follow if they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Oh, Mathman, I very much fear that you're right. We're not shining very brightly this year.

And no rescuer waiting in the wings to leap in (on inflamed tendon) and save us.
    But you know what? I am looking forward to Nationals just as eagerly as ever, Maybe more so. We have a half dozen or so evenly match ladies going for the national championship. It will be a great competition with a berth on the Olympic team at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I think that USFSA will just go with the top two at nationals unless there was a clear leader during the GP who made the GPF and then either was injured at nationals or otherwise did not skate up to par. As all the ladies are, more or less equal, they will pick the top two to avoid the HUGE outburst that will follow if they don't.
    I have no idea what the USFSA will do but I find it unlikely that they would send Cohen when she will have had no international experience this year and hasn't skated competitively in four years. Don't know about the interest in the States but is Cohen really that big of a name? I wouldn't think so. Is she really bringing attention back to the ladies division? I find it hard to believe that people would turn in just to watch her skate...

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    I have no idea what the USFSA will do but I find it unlikely that they would send Cohen when she will have had no international experience this year and hasn't skated competitively in four years. Don't know about the interest in the States but is Cohen really that big of a name? I wouldn't think so. Is she really bringing attention back to the ladies division? I find it hard to believe that people would turn in just to watch her skate...
    I bet in US she does.. to certain amount

My girlfriend big-time Sasha fan -> Not watching a thing about skating after 2006 -> Heard the news Cohen's competing in this years TEB -> Bought ticket -> Heard the news Sasha WD -> Trying to sell the ticket back -> Got almost dragged by me -> Depressed through whole competition

At least you can add one up

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    I have no idea what the USFSA will do but I find it unlikely that they would send Cohen when she will have had no international experience this year and hasn't skated competitively in four years.
    If Sasha skates at nationals and gets gets first or second they will send her. If she doesn't, they won't.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    If Sasha skates at nationals and gets gets first or second they will send her. If she doesn't, they won't.
    you said it.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast