Countdown to Sasha's Return | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Countdown to Sasha's Return

Wicked

Final Flight
While I think Mirai Nagasu is very talented, I don't think she has the drive like Yuna.

I had thought this too about Mirai. But when I heard her say, "I just want to go home and practice" when she didn't skate well in the long at CoC, I felt better about her. I really think Mirai is the only one out of the US ladies who has star power. I think she could be something special if she works hard enough.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I really think Mirai is the only one out of the US ladies who has star power. I think she could be something special if she works hard enough.

I will agree that Mirai has star power, but I don't think she is the only one.

Wow prettykeys. You have the distinction of being the first one I've ever put on "ignore."

Even I'm not up for a Sasha countdown right now. :boohoo:

I'm sure I'll get my wind back soon. ;)

prettykeys

Medalist
How is Spun Silver's statement any worse than this one that you made?:
It's meant to be satirical based on the vein of stereotypes Spun Silver wished to base "Just Their Opinion" on.

Don't you think it is telling that Spun Silver would rather ignore me rather than explain what is meant by "single-minded Asian athletes and parents" who, unlike their American counterparts, do not supposedly want their children to be "happy" as well as "successful"?

Like I said, the hallmark of bigots.

If you would like to explain what you think Spun Silver means, "i love to skate", I welcome you to.

All stereotypes are wrong. I know this because I once had an Asian student who wasn't good at math.

prettykeys

Medalist
All stereotypes are wrong. I know this because I once had an Asian student who wasn't good at math.
And not all Asians know how to play the piano, although I expected Spun Silver to make some comment about how all Asian parents make their children learn the piano, so YuNa is actually still "singlemindedly" focused on Figure Skating or some such thing.

Thanks to her parents who would push for her success rather than her happiness, and which also implies YuNa's own ambitions take a backseat...

:rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

i love to skate

Medalist
It's meant to be satirical based on the vein of stereotypes Spun Silver wished to base "Just Their Opinion" on.

Thanks for the explanation. Even if it is meant to be satirical though it could still offend some people.

If you would like to explain what you think Spun Silver means, "i love to skate", I welcome you to.

Well, I don't know exactly what the poster was trying to say but maybe it was just a way to describe the difference between the cultures - that could have been worded better? Many Asian cultures place a lot of emphasis on success, drive, and hard work.

From my work experience, many children are stressed when they immigrate to Canada (for example) and the parents are adamant that the children are not receiving enough schooling and have too much "free time". Obviously, this does not mean that the parents do not want the child to be happy and it also does not mean that the parents love them any less. These are just two different parenting styles and different cultures.

This is of course not to say that this statement represents all people of all cultures. It is based on my own personal experience and knowledge.

prettykeys

Medalist
Thanks for the explanation. Even if it is meant to be satirical though it could still offend some people.
It should be offensive. Thank you for agreeing with me, because it's stupid and ignorant.

Well, I don't know exactly what the poster was trying to say but maybe it was just a way to describe the difference between the cultures - that could have been worded better? Many Asian cultures place a lot of emphasis on success, drive, and hard work.

From my work experience, many children are stressed when they immigrate to Canada (for example) and the parents are adamant that the children are not receiving enough schooling and have too much "free time". Obviously, this does not mean that the parents do not want the child to be happy and it also does not mean that the parents love them any less. These are just two different parenting styles and different cultures.

This is of course not to say that this statement represents all people of all cultures. It is based on my own personal experience and knowledge.
This is fair. I am such a child of Asian parents, born in Canada and (still) struggling to consolidate both heritages. However, I can assure you that I have a very diverse profile of interests and talents which my parents did not stifle, while admitting I do wish my experiences and career options would have been acceptably broader. ;) And yet, I know that what I have is more than many "multi-generational Canadians".

But it's clear that Spun Silver contrasted YuNa with Asian-Americans such as Mirai and was arguing for explanation based on geography/culture/society. She then proceeded to (JMO!!!) insult YuNa's achievements with the term of "singlemindedness" and extrapolated that the American girls would succeed, too, if only they were more "singleminded" -- and that one of the things stopping that from occurring is that American parents (unlike YuNa's) want their children to be happy.

I should remind myself that long ago, I resigned to the fact that some people are just not very bright.

janetfan

Match Penalty

My next door neighbors are Asian and have a 12 year old daughter, and she plays piano rather poorly. I lent her an old guitar and to my surprise she picked it up very quickly. I suggested to her parents that they consider switching her to guitar because she is better at it and hates the piano.

They gave me a look like I was out of my mind :p
It will be piano for her for the next four years whether she likes it or not.

I disagree with that but she is not my daughter.

My parents, who are not Asian, did the exact same thing to me and forced years of piano lessons on me, even when it was apparent I had more interest and talent for playing woodwind instruments.

So what is the moral of my tedious little story?
I think we should Free Yuna and take her to Burger King, an hour before she is scheduled to perform at SA. :biggrin:

I would like to see how well she can skate after polishing off a double whopper and large fries washed down by a large vanilla shake :laugh:

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
I forgot to put this in my last post but I just wanted to say that by placing such an emphasis on having a happy child in the Western culture has created many parents that are more friends than they are parents.

I see it everyday and I am just in shock at what parents allow their children to do, how the child speaks to them, and what the child can get away with. IMO, it really is turning into an epidemic. Parents need to learn how to parent and not be concerned over whether their child likes them or not. It's my opinion that parenting classes sould be mandatory!

prettykeys

Medalist
So what is the moral of my tedious little story?
I think we should Free Yuna and take her to Burger King, an hour before she is scheduled to perform at SA. :biggrin:

I would like to see how well she can skate after polishing off a double whopper, large fries washed down by a large vanilla shake :laugh:
haha.

:agree:

I think that's the wittiest thing I've seen you post, homeboy.

prettykeys

Medalist
I forgot to put this in my last post but I just wanted to say that by placing such an emphasis on having a happy child in the Western culture has created many parents that are more friends than they are parents.

I see it everyday and I am just in shock at what parents allow their children to do, how the child speaks to them, and what the child can get away with. IMO, it really is turning into an epidemic. Parents need to learn how to parent and not be concerned over whether their child likes them or not. It's my opinion that parenting classes sould be mandatory!
I don't think the problem is that parents want too much for their children to be happy (to me, that is never a problem), but how they go about it--in this case, they are afraid of instilling some discipline (because as you say, they are more concerned about being "cool" and "best buddies" rather than a "parent".)

There is value in discipline, folks. Natural talents, intelligence, etc., if not properly nurtured and focused, aren't valuable. No one is going to go into court and accept a lawyer who says "You know, I didn't really prepare a good case or practice going over all the important points, but I'm pretty smart, so we should be OK! :agree: " It's a rough diamond vs. a cut and polished gem.

btw janetfan, I completely disagree with the parents of the girl who loves the guitar and think that is regretful. My own instrumental calling was actually the violin, but in grade 6, my parents' persuasion was more along the lines of "but all those lessons in piano would be going to waste... :(" and then I felt kinda bad. Maybe one day I will pick up the piano again with the same gusto as my 6-year old self. I'm still not over how sick I am of it, though. :biggrin:

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I am just going to ignore the previosu comments and get this thread back on track.

I take it that with Sasha's withdrawal from both of her grand prix assignments that this will effectively stick a pin in the bubble that was her comeback to compete in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. With only two spots for the American Ladies I cannot see Sasha being given one of the two spots with you have Flatt, Zhang, Wagner, etc, competing for one of those two spots.

Maybe now my dream will come true and she will skate pairs with Johnny Weir. Hey a girl can dream.

Now that I see the schedule for Skate America, it becomes clear how much USFS was counting on Sasha. With no short programs on Thursday, and the ladies skating in prime time Saturday and on Siunday afternoon, it is clear that NBC television is running the show, arranging the event so as to maximize viewership.

This is also what was behind the decision to hold Skate America later in the year this season, instead of first.

They could have had three top U.S. ladies. (Alissa, Rachael and Caroline seemed liike the best bets at the time the selections were made.) By reserving a spot for Sasha and a TBA just in case Michelle came back, they are now left with a dud as far as attracting U.S. viewers.

prettykeys

Medalist
Now that I see the schedule for Skate America, it becomes clear how much USFS was counting on Sasha. With no short programs on Thursday, and the ladies skating in prime time Saturday and on Siunday afternoon, it is clear that NBC television is running the show, arranging the event so as to maximize viewership.

This is also what was behind the decision to hold Skate America later in the year this season, instead of first.

They could have had three top U.S. ladies. (Alissa, Rachael and Caroline seemed like the best bets at the time the selections were made.) By reserving a spot for Sasha and a TBA just in case Michelle came back, they are now left with a dud as far as attracting U.S. viewers.
Keen observations! It's too bad this post is buried in this thread. :laugh: