General Thoughts on Ice Dance 2009-2010 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

General Thoughts on Ice Dance 2009-2010

Sheena

Rinkside
. I think it's good for all of us, regardless of who our personal favorites are, to remember that the skaters themselves are responsible for their skating--and that's it. We can hate results, we can really be ticked off at the judges for generating those results, we can be disgusted with the politics behind a lot of it, but we should never hate the skaters themselves. They're doing their best, they're putting their heart, soul, money, trust, and who knows what else into this life-consuming process. And with the advent of the Internet and message boards like this, they're basically throwing themselves to the wolves sometimes. In short, they're human beings, and I think that sometimes we forget that.

Thank you for saying this - it is so true for many different skaters. For example, Domina & Shablin are far from being my favourite ice-dance team, but I don't think they deserve the hate directed at them.........same goes for so many others too!

Sometimes one just has to laugh, when a certain poster (or posters) write in a certain thread - you pretty well know in advance what they are going to say.....& they rarely let you down!

cornell08

Final Flight
It seems like B/A's FD is being pretty well received, but I am personally not really a fan of their program (though I like it more than their previous FDs). Their lifts, quality/speed of twizzles and overall complexity of choreography is still way below that of D/W and V/M imo. But I do think they've improved alot, execution wise and also difficulty wise (for them).

Audrey19

On the Ice
It seems like B/A's FD is being pretty well received, but I am personally not really a fan of their program (though I like it more than their previous FDs). Their lifts, quality/speed of twizzles and overall complexity of choreography is still way below that of D/W and V/M imo. But I do think they've improved alot, execution wise and also difficulty wise (for them).

B&A's FD is very complex and difficult. But D&W? seriously, I don't see much choregraphy or relation to the music... They could do so much better...

cornell08

Final Flight
I agree that D/W can do much better-- first, starting with their music choice for FD! But alas, I digress.....

My favorite freedance of this season is V/M by a wide margin, but I still have to give kudos to D/W for having the most technically difficult programs. True-- sometimes the complexity and difficulty level don't really make sense in terms of music interpretation and often aren't even aesthetically pleasing....but difficulty is difficulty, and they'll get rewarded for it in TES. V/M are better at keeping a balance between difficulty, ingenuity and artistry. And everything flows so well, their finesse is unmatched and yet everything looks so effortless!

Enthusiast

On the Ice
I agree that D/W can do much better-- first, starting with their music choice for FD! But alas, I digress.....

I still have to give kudos to D/W for having the most technically difficult programs.

IMO, I don't think D/W's choreography is more difficult. It seems that way during the ending when they are chasing each other after the MOTN section but the steps loook repetitive, it's busy, but not difficult. In fact, I heard people say after their Nebelhorn debut that they need to cut down the choreo from that last half-third of the program to make it skateable. I don't agree with this. IMO.

Audrey19

On the Ice

My favorite freedance of this season is V/M by a wide margin, but I still have to give kudos to D/W for having the most technically difficult programs. True-- sometimes the complexity and difficulty level don't really make sense in terms of music interpretation and often aren't even aesthetically pleasing....but difficulty is difficulty, and they'll get rewarded for it in TES. V/M are better at keeping a balance between difficulty, ingenuity and artistry. And everything flows so well, their finesse is unmatched and yet everything looks so effortless!

I see what you mean about the technical difficulty, but it's sooo important in ice dance to have a beautiful program, that's what it's all about after all.
But since the judges seem to like it, I don't see them changing it...