Music Mao matches better than Masquerade and Bells of Moscow | Golden Skate

Music Mao matches better than Masquerade and Bells of Moscow

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Hi!
i've thought that there are many music Mao fits better like Swan lake,William tell and such.So i'd like to ask you that question though she doesn't want to change both.

True, Mao probably won't change her music. But it's fun to imagine other pieces that would suit her better. Even if Tarasova wants to use only Russian music, there are a lot of choices better for Asada than that percussive version of the Rachmaninoff Prelude. Parts of Tchaikovsky's Suite Number 3 come to mind, or Borodin's Second String Quartet. A good orchestrator could even figure out a way to blend melodies from several movements of each of those pieces, to give variety of coloration without making them seem fragmented.

The thing about Mao is that she's so light and airy that her music should reflect that, and give a feeling of hopefulness. (In my opinion, at least.) That makes me think of Dvorak, Schubert, and Mendelssohn. One piece of Mendelssohn's that's especially lyrical though very rich and deep at the same time is his overture The Fair Melusina. It's a bit long, but someone with musical smarts could abridge it. It has the virtue of not being played very often. Here's a YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGCp...2963FA92E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

or type in Mendelssohn: "The Fair Melusina" op 32

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Thanks for posting,Olympia:)
I didn't know that music,but it certainly fits for her:love:
Yes,Tat just chose such a dark music but i also think she should use happy one.If Tat would like to make her skate Rossian music,Tchaikovsky's ballet music would be much much better.Swan Lake,Sleeping Beauty and Notcracker must be good for fer!I want to see her skate with ballet music again.She's not done since 2005.

In my opinion,Pachelbel's Cannon,Elgar's Love Greeting and conducting Pomp and Circumstance March no.1 and Bach's Air on the G-string are suitable,too.

Last edited:
Another possible choice is music from Alexander Glazunov's The Seasons. (Not to be confused with Vivaldi's The Four Seasons.) I think the Glazunov piece is actually a ballet, and there is a pleasing variation of mood and tempo. It's also got a lot of warmth to it. I think of Mao as a warm skater, whether she's skating to upbeat music or more dramatic stuff.

You can find all four sections of it on YouTube. If I get a chance later, I'll post a link. Kristi Yamaguchi once skated a pro competition program using an extract of this music, and you could probably find that program, too.

I think the Pachelbel piece you mentioned is wonderful to skate to, but probably as a short program or an exhibition piece, because it has just the one tempo. It is gorgeous, though, isn't it.

Evangeline, the Boccherini Minuet is a great idea for a short program. Can you just imagine the costume....

By the way, this is "Autumn" from Glazunov's The Seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ToYnL_DE8

As you see, there are a good many different textures and moods in it: merry, dreamy, impassioned, hopeful. My favorite parts come around the 8-minute mark. There's more than enough in just this section (one of four, obviously) to abridge into a great free skate. And it's Russian! Glazunov was a student of Rimsky-Korsakov, and this is perhaps his most famous composition.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Evangeline, the Boccherini Minuet is a great idea for a short program. Can you just imagine the costume....

Thank you! I was listening to it one day when I realized that I was actually idly choreographing an imaginary SP for Mao, 3A-2T and all.

Anyways, I know I've asked this before, but what happened to the flute arrangement for the Masquerade Waltz that Mao was supposedly using for her SP? I heard a lovely flute arrangement of the Waltz on Youtube that I thought would suit Mao very well, but then she showed up at TEB with the exact same music as last year...

mayamae_55

Rinkside
Masquerade- MAZURKA!

Khachaturian's Masquerade, but MAZURKA fits "a girl going to her first Ball Party" perfectly, doesn't it?
It's a Waltz so it should be easy to keep the same choreography, just need to fit the elements into the appropriate part in the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSHWqFV-EHk

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I think she one of the rare ladies (if not the only one) who'd ba able to skate to Vivaldi's four seasons. She has the necessary musicality.

daihard

Rinkside
I think she one of the rare ladies (if not the only one) who'd ba able to skate to Vivaldi's four seasons. She has the necessary musicality.

Speaking of the Four Seasons I believe someone skates to it this season. Can anyone refresh my memory on that?

I agree with those of you who believe Mao has a better piece of music to skate to than Masquerade. Even Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, which she used in her first senior season, would work better now IMO.

Even if Tarasova has her heart set on a waltz by Khachaturian, there's another choice. This is Ayeshe's Dance, from his ballet Gayane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kbMkoXdRc

I find this an extremely affecting piece, and I'm so happy to find it on YouTube. Though it's in minor key, it's very light and smooth, qualities that suit Mao.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Last edited:

I-witness

Rinkside
Anyways, I know I've asked this before, but what happened to the flute arrangement for the Masquerade Waltz that Mao was supposedly using for her SP? I heard a lovely flute arrangement of the Waltz on Youtube that I thought would suit Mao very well, but then she showed up at TEB with the exact same music as last year...[/QUOTE]

I have been wondering about it too.
I was first disappointed to hear their choice of music. Then after listening to the flute arrangement, I thought it is actually nice. It suited very well with Mao as you said. Then at TEB, what I was disappointed again.

I guess the one you heard on youtube was a version of the Mascquerade Waltz that was played by Theater Orchestra Tokyo. In Skating Music Concert held in July, they played two arragments of the Msscquerade Waltz(with and without flute). The flute arranagement is also the one included in Mao and Mai's Skating Music CD, toghether with The Bells of Moscow and Caprice.

According to what I have read, the conductor of the orchestra received meticulous intrusctions from Mao team. Mao asked him to change some part to make it easier for her to take timing of jump. He also said he had to conduct with stopwatch!

So they must have been seriously about using the flute arrangement for this season's SP up to some point. So why have they opted for the same music? That is the question. I am not a musically oriented but I heard complaints on the quality of orchestra's performance on Japnaese board. So, maybe someone in Mao team judged that it was not good enough. Or maybe they chose the arrangement Mao is used to skate to.

macemace1980

Rinkside

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
thanks everyone!
you know japan national chanpionship is coming.i really hope her great performance. she believes herself on this clip. ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtdkq4Ioqsw

she's kept skating same bell music.but i've been concedering what kind of music fits for her skating style. i gave an answer for myself. that is kind of warm ones are great for her.besides ghibli and disney ones are wonderful,too!
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtdkq4Ioqsw (this is from"mary poppins")
this fits for her!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think she should just go back to Clare de Lune for her SP for the Olympics. She can change the jumps if she wants to do her current jump layout (3a-2t, 3f, 2a) but I love that program of hers.

As for the long, which I have more problems with then her short, I would love to see her do a program to Pachelbel's Cannon in D, a nice instrumental version like the one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wpPk8qk3uQ

I also think if she could get a track of music from some of the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals without the lyrics that would be lovely too. "If I Loved You" from Carousel comes to mind, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuHAh-2xGxw , or "Some Enchated Evening" from South Pacific http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwWBj-lfizc

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I want Mao to use music that she feels the most comfortable with, especially in a pressure packed situation, that's when she can rely on instinct & muscle memory taking over. Whatever relaxes her, makes her feel good, confident, and ready to take on the world!:love:

:rock::thumbsup::cool::bow:GOOOO MAO!!!!:bow::cool::thumbsup::rock:

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
I want Mao to use music that she feels the most comfortable with, especially in a pressure packed situation, that's when she can rely on instinct & muscle memory taking over. Whatever relaxes her, makes her feel good, confident, and ready to take on the world!:love:

:rock::thumbsup::cool::bow:GOOOO MAO!!!!:bow::cool::thumbsup::rock:
i completely agree with you. i realize best music for her is the one keeps her cool;)