Who has the best layback? | Golden Skate

Who has the best layback?

T

thermalundies

I prefer the arms circled over head, and the free foot definitely has to be turned out (the side of boot parallel to the ice).
The faster the better.

T

thermalundies

Re: Who has the best layback?

I think Lucinda Ruh has best layback (best spins all round!)
I've seen a video of her in a layback spin, dead centred, doing about 45 revs at a speed too fast for me to keep up with counting. Her position was very nice.

I

icenut84

Out of those, Lucinda Ruh. But Sarah Hughes and Irina Slutskaya also have beautiful ones.

S

Show 42

I chose Dorothy, of the ladies listed. Lucinda's is awesome, not traditional. I would put her in a category all by herself. 42

R

RealtorGal

I would have voted for ANGELA but she's not on your list.

E

eltamina

Angela, you can put her on top of a jewry box.

R

RealtorGal

"Angela, you can put her on top of a jewry box."

Yes, and you can put her on top of a JEWELRY box, too! :D

J

Joesitz

Depends on the layback variation. I've seen at least 4 different layback variations. If you are writing about the 'classic' one: Angela, Sasha, Sarah.

I don't need a best. I like all three. But there are other variations that are not 'classic'

Joe

K

Kindertotenlieder2

I find Sarah's to be the most pleasing. Angela's is also pretty spiffy, whether it be on a jewry box, jewelry box, cardboard box, or with a fox wearing flannel sox . . . :p

E

eltamina

Sorry about the Jewelry box typo.

D

danibellerika

yeah, I'd have to say Sasha's too. Especially after Campbell's. i've never seen it held for so long.

S

SkateDustin

Sasha, definately... she finally has it centered and I love the arm variations!

C

Callystarr

I can't believe Angela wasn't put on this list, even though Lucindah Ruh has more variations..that are absolutley flawless, no one can come close...

D

diamondqueen

Best Layback

I voted for the Great Dorothy Hamill. Dorothy your layback is better than any of the ladies out there today. You are still the best.

diamond:)

S

Skatelady

Best Layback

Callystar,

I think Angela was left off the list because we seldom see her skate. She is always sick, injured, heartbroken, etc.

When Angela finally shows up at a competition, perhaps her name will come to mind during such discussions.

Skatelady

A

Aria

Among today's eligibles-- Angela. I don't know why she was left off the list, beacuse her name always comes up in layback discussions. We've seen her in competition and her layback more recently than Dorothy and Kat! :lol:

Also, what about the much more famous Sarah-- Hughes? She has an excellent one as well. OTOH, most of us haven't seen or know enough about Sarah M. to have any opinion whatsoever about her layback!

Also, when it comes to pre-'90 amateur skaters, IMO, Peggy and Janet had better laybacks than Dorothy and Kat. At least, that's how I remember it.

So, this poll is definitely incompete. I suggest it be done over again with the great ladies who were left out added.