Did MK Gain Weight or Strong? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Did MK Gain Weight or Strong?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
WE DID 28 to 7! :D Biggest win in school history. The mountain state is rockin' tonight!

Piel

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
As for breathing hard.......that could be due to her rapid skating, or my personal guess.........the excitement of the moment? 42

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Mathman,

Rgirl will do a better job with this, but I'll give it a shot. From my experience, it isn't realistic to maintain peak shape throughout the year. It'd be nice, but I am not aware of any athlete that does - although, I'm sure that doesn't mean much. Lance Armstrong could possibly be one of the most dilligent athletes out there, and, while he never completely stops riding his bike, he does cut back considerably on his workload during the off season. For me, a week during my most intense training takes about 22 hours and includes a 100+ mile bike ride on Saturday and 20+ mile run on Sunday. Not only does taking a break let my body recover from the damage incurred during that type of training - muscle and other soft tissue damage - but it allows me to mentally take a break. As much as I love it, it's nice to wake up on Saturday and not think about being on my bike for 5 or 6 hours. While fitness is lost during the time of lesser training, the body is stronger after a period of rest/rehab. and gets back to where it was before faster. So, it seems to me that Michelle's approach is smart. She knows where she needs to be and when. Her relative lack of injuries during her career (knocking on wood right now) indicates that she is being good to her body.

Disclaimer: I'm a finance chick by training and have no sports medicine background. All I can speak from is my experience and stuff I've read. Also, I have no idea if my experience can be related to figure skating at all:)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
nymkfan51:

I did not tune in until the very end. Did not know it was on.

Mistyeyed

Rinkside
television always add pounds even if you a stick. We here at the start of every season, someone always says MK is getting fat. Hah! Poor skaters. Heaven forbid should they actually eat.:D

Mistyeyed, :laugh: :laugh:

Tharrtel, thanks for that perspective. That was an interesting take.

WE DID 28 to 7! Biggest win in school history. The mountain state is rockin' tonight!
Here's the write-up from the Detroit morning paper

"Police used pepper spray on fans who tried to tear down the gols posts. Many in the crowd of 56,319 stormed the field, but state police and dozens of yellow-shirted security personnel surrounded the gols posts and kept fans at bay.

"It wasn't immediately known whether anyone was arrested or hurt. More than an hour after the game, fire officials reported four fires on nearby Grant Avenue, inclkuding two large bonfires."

Rock on, Mountaineers!

Mathman

Eeyora

Final Flight
I thought Michelle looked perhaps the prettiest she has ever looked. As far as whether or not she has gained weight. She was perhaps her thinnest at the 2002 Olympics and we know how she performed there. As I recall there was a rumor going around that all she ate on that day was some lettuce and Diet Coke. I thought she looked rather emmaciated then.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Eeyora said:
As I recall there was a rumor going around that all she ate on that day was some lettuce and Diet Coke. I thought she looked rather emmaciated then.

Missed the lettuce and DC rumor. I find it painful to watch her skate at Nats and the Olys that year because she is so thin. She wears muscle well.

Bynx

On the Ice
tharrtell said:
Missed the lettuce and DC rumor. I find it painful to watch her skate at Nats and the Olys that year because she is so thin. She wears muscle well.

Michelle seems like the type of person when in a stressful situation losses her appetite.

ITA.
She wear muscle quite well.
I have to say that in all the years I've watched her skate she has never looked more beautiful on the ice!:)

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Eeyora said:
She was perhaps her thinnest at the 2002 Olympics and we know how she performed there. As I recall there was a rumor going around that all she ate on that day was some lettuce and Diet Coke. I thought she looked rather emmaciated then.
How sad if that is true. She did look too skinny at that time. Probably a combination of hard training and her stressful situation.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I also wonder if she was think if a little is good, a lot is better. She had put on some weight in 2000/2001, but got down to her 'fighting weight' by Worlds 2001, and she won. She didn't seem to have gained weight between Worlds and the 2001/2002 season, but I wonder if in her Oly prep. she remembered the benefits of weight loss and tried again. Too much definitely is not a good thing. All random speculation, of course.

Tharrtell, you said exactly what I would have said only much more succinctly;) The concept of needing rest so the body can recover applies to every sport or activity, especially those involving competition, whether it's figure skating or chess.

Yes, a woman can be 10% body fat, although even the leanest female athletes tend to be in the 11-13% range. However you do find women athletes way out on the fourth and fifth standard deviation who are 2-3% body fat. When I was getting my master's, the Univeristy of Utah NCAA women's gymnastics team was a dynasty. The team's top gymnast measured less than 2% body fat. When it's that low, genetics is the main factor.

Getting weighed underwater is generally the most accurate way to assess percent body fat, but the administrators of the test have to know what they're doing. Ideally you should be weighed three times and take the average of the two scores with the least variability, but those traveling body fat shows won't do that. Yeah, doing one of those traveling deals would be of interest. I don't know what your schedule is like, but if you're really interested in getting some measurements, contact some of the colleges and universities in the area and see if they have an exercise physiology program, especially a graduate program, and see if they need volunteers for studies. They usually use students but if you tell them you're a triathlete, they might be interested. Probably best to contact a professor working in an area you're interested in rather than a secretary. You never know. Finally, measuring percent body fat is still an estimation at best. The equations used were developed on average caucasion males and females and the biggest variable is bone density. Especially in certain African American male athletes, like pro football players, you can get a negative percent body fat, which of course is impossible. That's because bone density in African Americans tends to be greater anyway and in AAs who compete professionally in high impact sports that also involve a lot of weight training, their bones are super dense, which makes the equations inaccurate. Percent body fat is best used to see trends in an athlete's body composition, that is, to see if the diet and training methods are maintaining or lowering the percent body fat over time. A one-time test can be off by as much as 5-7% either way, depending on the test used and the skill of the testers.

Mathman, yes we do need body fat. Without a certain amount of body fat we cannot synthesize certain hormones and vitamins necessary for life and reproductive health, plus certain tissues need fat, like nerve tissue. It is especially detrimental to women to have too little body fat, but it is not good for men either. Before food was overly abundant for most people in countries like the US, obviously we needed fat stores to survive times of famine. But just physiologically and metabolically, humans need body fat. Most of us just don't need so much of it:p
Rgirl

Hornblower

Rinkside
Michelle most definitely is one healthy, beautiful young lady. My initial impression was that she looked a bit bigger in the upper body and thighs, but comparison with pictures from last year were inconclusive when viewed side by side. Differences in the cut of the costumes can make it deceptive. There is no question that she was noticeably thinner for a while a couple of years ago. I would say that her work on overall strength with her personal trainer is paying off.

hlagirl25

Rinkside
Body fat percentages aside...I'm wondering if the perceived weight gain has something to do with the fact that her costume is minus the gold braiding that we've been used to seeing from some of her past numbers.

Is it body fat or is it muscle? I remember the beautiful (and still beautiful) Gabriela Sabatini who in one year turned her lovely slender body into a very athletic one. Rumors went flying that she was on steroids. Testing proved the rumors wrong.

Joe