Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Kurt Still The Greatest!!

  1. #1
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,686

    Kurt Still The Greatest!!

    Wow just when I thought I had seen everything Kurt can do on the blade he comes up with another show stopping amazing performance. Last night on the CBC Battle of the Blades show Kurt did the impossible - quick, intricate moves on hockey skates. Kurt was brilliant as he dazzled the audience and I am sure the hockey players. He skated to a Frank Sinatra piece as this was the theme for the pair teams the night before. Wow! Way to go Kurt.


  2. #2
    Rink Rat i love to skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,477
    He was amazing!! I loved it as well....very impressive that he did a double sal! I think everyone was speechless after seeing that

  3. #3
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,659
    you make it sound like he's never done a routine on hockey skates before... Snowden on Ice 1, Stars On Ice, and I believe at least one of his tv specials all showcased his fast feet in hockey skates

    but I do agree he is simply the best.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    you make it sound like he's never done a routine on hockey skates before... Snowden on Ice 1, Stars On Ice, and I believe at least one of his tv specials all showcased his fast feet in hockey skates

    but I do agree he is simply the best.
    IIRC he did one of his Improv Ice numbers on hockey skates too. What a joy he is to watch!

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,493
    Yay, Kurt!

    I agree that he's the once and future king of the ice. I've never found anyone else who has the combination of sizzle and grace he possesses. I hope this performance is on YouTube soon.

    And he's turned out to be an object lesson in terms of career trajectory. He's never won an Olympic medal of any color, but he's still the top of the heap, with no asterisks or qualifications. He's inventive, artistic, powerful, charismatic, humorous--a superb embodiment of skating and of Canadian sports.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,151
    Couldn't agree more with everyone. Amazing how he simply gets better and better with age... like a fine wine.

  7. #7
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,659
    Quote Originally Posted by merrybari View Post
    IIRC he did one of his Improv Ice numbers on hockey skates too. What a joy he is to watch!
    yes, he did, but I didn't want to cause a potential spoiler

    and yes, while he didn't win an olympic medal, he did win four world titles, three consecutively...

  8. #8
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    you make it sound like he's never done a routine on hockey skates before... Snowden on Ice 1, Stars On Ice, and I believe at least one of his tv specials all showcased his fast feet in hockey skates

    but I do agree he is simply the best.
    No, Kurt is no stranger to hockey skates. He started off as a jr Hockey player and thank goodness changed to figure skating. I don't think Kurt has ever skated in front of hockey players though wearing their gear. It really impressed the guys. They have a lot of respect for Kurt and now for figure skaters in general like never before.

  9. #9
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,659
    Seems to me a lot of the Canadian players from Kurt's day knew figure skating was not for wimps... and IIRC he has skated with big name hockey players before in some charity event or something... *shrugs*

    not saying he doesn't deserve the praise, it's just not something that is *new* for him

  10. #10
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13
    As Ron MacLean has mentioned a couple of times, Kurt was the Honourary Captain of the Edmonton Oilers and even used their training facilities. He's performed before NHL hockey games in Vancouver, Edmonton & Toronto in both figure skates and hockey skates, appeared twice at the NHL's annual televised award ceremony & played in NHL softball tournaments, golf tournaments and other charitable events. Many of the hockey players on Battle of the Blades have known him for years, and I wouldn't be surprised if he talked some of them into signing up for the show ;-)

  11. #11
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Seems to me a lot of the Canadian players from Kurt's day knew figure skating was not for wimps... and IIRC he has skated with big name hockey players before in some charity event or something... *shrugs*

    not saying he doesn't deserve the praise, it's just not something that is *new* for him
    hmmm... this is turning into one of "those" discussions. My comments were merely to bring fans who may not be able to view the program via the CBC up to speed on the show and of course some bantter about Kurt. Of course, we Canadians know Hockey players in general look upon figure skating with some tongue in cheek as we always have to vie for ice time at our rinks with the hockey players. Many of the hockey players learn to skate from some of our greats - like Karen Magnussen - for example. Hockey is still the number # 1 sport in Canada especially with the male populace.

    Many of our top male skaters started out playing hockey - like Kurt - and discovered figure skating along the way. No Kurt, nor David nor Elvis are strangers to the hockey world and are pretty good players themselves.

    Sorry I mentioned any of this. Oh well.....

  12. #12
    Custom Title Kitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    451

    Ladskater

    I'm not sorry you mentioned this.....Kurt is great and thanks for reminding us!

    Once I saw him at Stars on Ice, he did a stop which sprayed a little ice on one of the lucky viewers in the first row. After the number, he went over to him and apologized!

    what a sweetie! And I honestly think he is my favorite male skater of all time. And he is a fun interviewer as well.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,493
    Ladskater, please mention Kurt anytime! We non-Canadian fans don't get to hear as much as you do about him, let alone see him on TV as often as you lucky ducks all do. I'm still feeling deprived that his first TV special (wasn't it called "Tall in the Saddle" or somesuch?) never made it here, and I treasure my battered videotape of "You Must Remember This," which was shown here on one of our public broadcasting stations. To me, as I said earlier in this thread, he's at the top of the ladder, technically and artistically. And from all reports, he's a great sport as well. He's one of those rare skaters who will leave the sport better than it was when he came into it.

    As far as the figure skating vs. hockey thing, I've noticed that Canada seems to have less of a chasm between the two than the U.S. does. I knew that Kurt started on hockey but had forgotten that Elvis and David had too. What with those three guys, and Orser making such a wonderful mark as YuNa's coach these days, Canada's got a lot to be proud of in terms of its male skaters. (And its female skaters, too, of course! Go, Joannie! Go, Tessa!)

  14. #14
    Rink Rat i love to skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    As far as the figure skating vs. hockey thing, I've noticed that Canada seems to have less of a chasm between the two than the U.S. does. I knew that Kurt started on hockey but had forgotten that Elvis and David had too. What with those three guys, and Orser making such a wonderful mark as YuNa's coach these days, Canada's got a lot to be proud of in terms of its male skaters. (And its female skaters, too, of course! Go, Joannie! Go, Tessa!)
    Oh the figure skating vs hockey debate has deep roots here - don't be fooled! Young boys who skate face extreme teasing and are berated by their peers. The fight over ice time also causes a deep rift among the two as well - especially in small towns. Battle of the Blades is doing a great job at bringing together the two sports and showing that male figure skaters aren't "sissy's" or "pussies" but there is still a lot of work to be done to completely break down the sterotype.

  15. #15
    Custom Title Tigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    100 Acre Wood
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Oh the figure skating vs hockey debate has deep roots here - don't be fooled! Young boys who skate face extreme teasing and are berated by their peers. The fight over ice time also causes a deep rift among the two as well - especially in small towns. Battle of the Blades is doing a great job at bringing together the two sports and showing that male figure skaters aren't "sissy's" or "pussies" but there is still a lot of work to be done to completely break down the sterotype.
    Well said i love to skate, and IMO, I think all of those little boys who have to go through Hell every single day at school just because their sport is Figure Skating, are the real winners of Battle of the Blades being created and shown. After all, if Bob Probert and Tie Domi can go out there and not only do this, but also comment on just how hard it is and that's it's a real sport, does more good than any PR campaign of Skate Canada's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •