Bourne and Kraatz break up | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Bourne and Kraatz break up

April

Rinkside
Well, that's life

I am not surprised. Kraatz did not sound happy in the last goldenskate interview, which is why I am not taken back by the break up. Bourne was coaching and ready for a professional career. Kraatz just wasn't ready for a change. Anyhoot, I hope they will skate together in the near future.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Bourne and Kraatz..........

This doesn't come as a shock to me. I noticed a "strained" relationship between the two in the past. During times when the camera has caught them unaware, for instance, waiting to come out on the ice to perform, they barely looked at each other and I wondered then what was going on. When their eyes met, there was no connection or reassurance which you see with other partners. They had that look of a couple who had been fighting but didn't want the world to know.

The surprise is that they would step out on the ice and seemed to connect while performing. Interesting relationship!

Dizzy

Sweetie

Rinkside
It's kind of scary how basically no one saw this one coming. Now that I look back at it all, I can see little signs, but nothing that would make me think that either of them would actually go through with ending the best ever dance dynasty in Canada --- especially for good.

As devastated as I am, I know it's probably all for the best. Victor said in an article that they weren't spending enough time together, training and such, so that prompted him to move on... and the media kind of spotlights the support on Shae here, I have to say, that quote in particular means something.

After they won worlds, Shae started coaching with Nikolai, kind of putting her skating with Victor to the backburner, never actually talking about it with him. It left him to make choices, and one of those choices was to stop skating. When you're doing it solely for the other person's satisfaction --- and for the sake of doing it, it means nothing anymore. It's like a stale relationship that stays together even though there's no love left. It's better to split and be happy then stay together and not be.

I wish them both the best of luck. There's not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that Shae-Lynn will be a great skater on SOI on her own -- the transition might be a little difficult, but with her shining personality, she'll make it. Victor, whatever he choses to do, he will be successful. He's well mannered, respectable and intelligent and will make it anywhere, whether in skating or not in skating.

We will always have memories. We will always be able to say that we shared in watching them win the GPF in 1997 or 2001, and winning worlds in 2003, either by being there or feeling like we were there, as we watched so intently on our TV screens and screamed with them. We went through their ups and downs, their crowning glory and their defeats, through shrieks of happiness to tears of sadness, we watched.

Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz - two names that will forever match with a rhythm comparable to Gordeeva & Grinkov. Wherever they go, whatever they do, they should know that they will always have had fans out there, some eternal fans, some who just watched them once, some who watched them once and became enchanted.

Thanks for the memories together, and thanks in advance for the memories in the future-- on your own.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Andi... I was sooooooooooooooo worried about you when I read this news... I was like "OMG, what's Andi going to say!" LOL good to know you're taking it *well* ;) (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) sorry I'm never around to chat anymore... but feel free to email me anytime!

Sweetie

Rinkside
Tonichelle said:
Andi... I was sooooooooooooooo worried about you when I read this news... I was like "OMG, what's Andi going to say!" LOL good to know you're taking it *well* ;) (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) sorry I'm never around to chat anymore... but feel free to email me anytime!

I came online to a flood of worried people... and I didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Right now I think I'm in the stage that they call "casual denial"... it hasn't sunk in yet that the people I've watched and loved since 1994 won't be together anymore... and that at Celebration on Ice, I'll be witnessing one of their last ever performances together. Talk about closure... :(:cry:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
one thing about it, Andi... is you have countless hours of video footage... so technically you can always just pretend that they're still around LOL

lil lion 816

Rinkside
Mmm - unfortunately I can't say I'm surprised, because I've heard some rumors floating around for a while that Vic wanted to do one thing and Shae another.
Still - seeing it in black and white: I'm very disappointed, because I've followed this team through their ups and downs since 94, and they were one of my favorite ice-dancing teams of all time. I would have loved to see what they could do together as pros...
Well, what can you say, except best of luck to both of them...:(

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Bummer. He must want out very badly to pass up the opportunity to make the really big bucks he could have socked away over the next several years. Who knows what goes on in a relationship? She has always come across as very bossy to me... Just speculating. I think she will have a problem skating without him professionally. :\ :sheesh:

Smiley0884

Rinkside
*Hugs* Sweetie, I'm so sorry! You're like one of the biggest Shae & Vic fans out there, it must be so hard! I know how it feels I was :mad: :eek: :sheesh: :( :confused: :\ when I heard all the rumors about L&T, and I'm still hoping they will come back to competition, or at least stay together to do SOI, COI, Pro events ect. Who knows, maybe Shae and Vic will someday get togther to do an event or something i the future. This is truly sad news, but I hope they are both happy.

L

Layback Princess

Bourne and Kraatz Break Up

I know Victor is very upset with the decreasing number of people coming out to the shows and competitions, BUT maybe they need to rethink the pricing of the shows, I am from Canada, and I was going to go to Skate Canada (live 20mins from where its being held) with my mom and my sister, but we can not afford $192 a person to go for the weekend. I went to the Canadian Championships in 2002 when they where in Hamilton and paid with taxes $200 for the entire week and my friend and I where only 12 rows up from the ice. I know there are bigger names at an event like Skate Canada, but maybe if they would bring the pricing down they would find that they would get more people to come out. Even a family who jsut the parents went and the kids stayed home, that would also mean getting a sitter to take care of the kids, thats more $$ so to go out for the night it gets really costly. Maybe the skaters she start thinking about not charging so much $$ for appearance fees, and making the prize money so much $$$ and do it for the fans who love to watch but cant afford the prices.

Thats just my thought

:( :sheesh:

Last edited: