Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Jenny's latest: Problems with Cop

Jenny's latest: Problems with Cop

Bravo Jenny, I couldn't agree more with your comments and insights.

http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/20...for-the-sport/

COP is not going away. There are constant adjustments and improvements being made to it each year. The system has only being used for the past five World Championships! Skating is in a lot better shape today than it was in 2006 and it will only get better as the years go on.
    Last edited by i love to skate; 11-03-2009 at 10:36 AM.

End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Bravo Jenny, I couldn't agree more with your comments and insights.

http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/20...for-the-sport/
    100% agree..
    This is what Sonia keeps saying as well, unfortunately she can't put it as clearly as Jenny does.. I actually felt exhausted after watching COC last weekend, because honestly I am now at a point where I try to make myself like some of the skating I'm seeing.
    There was also a great article about the artistic side, while some might not agree with it, I think it deserves a read..
    http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/curre...ent/Curtis.htm

Custom Title
    I agree with her assessment. Considering Korpi's rather poor performance and the silver medal awarded her it makes me wonder more and more about some judging decisions. It is sometimes a blatantly unfair and inconsistent sport.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    So Jenny's solution is that there should be a third judging system implemented. That will do wonders for the sport! :banging:
    Where does she say that?

COP is not going away. There are constant adjustments and improvements being made to it each year.
    There was one change made this year that slightly reduces the severity of penalties for underrotated jumps that look good.

Kirk's main complaint seems to be that the downgrade penalty is still too severe. That could be addressed with more adjustments and improvements to the existing system, rather than scrapping the system and starting from scratch inventing a new one, which I don't see mentioned anywhere besides your post.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Where does she say that?
    You are right I misread the last paragraph she wrote. Sorry...I'll go edit my original post!

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    So Jenny's solution is that there should be a third judging system implemented. That will do wonders for the sport! :banging: COP is not going away. There are constant adjustments and improvements being made to it each year. The system has only being used for the past five World Championships! Skating is in a lot better shape today than it was in 2006 and it will only get better as the years go on.
    I like your optimistic outlook - but just saying skating is in better shape doesn't make it true.

Of course my opinion's are no better or more true than yours.
    I agree with you that adjustments are being made but not so sure they have all been improvements. I think Jenny raises good points about some of the criteria for the way jumps are being scored.

Keeping in mind that skating can not and will not thrive when only a very small group of extremely knowledgeable skating experts are happy with the system is a point that seems worthy of consideration.

It seems obvious that if Jenny, as a former skater herself is puzzled by the outcome of COC, then how in the world are the more casual fans supposed to undertsand, agree and even enjoy what we are seeing?

I really respect your knowledge and opinions but it also feels like you defend CoP without much consideration for what less informed skating fans are seeing and feeling.

So far, we have seen much more sloppy skating than good skating this season. I believe that to be a factually true statement. I think the system is partially to blame as are so many question marks about the scoring of certain top skaters.

I believe more tweaking is necessary - much more before this system will be helping skating rather than hurting it.

Just my opinion - and even though I am still watching I am enjoying it less.
    Last edited by janetfan; 11-03-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    I have to disagree; Once again I have to say is figure skating a sport or not. Her complaints seem to be that things that would be look over in 6.0 era is now being penalized; Once again the battle over quality and risk has begun. I see as either you do it or you don't; you either rise to the occassion or you dont; I think with figure skating competitors being so young we feel the need to (baby them)
    And so you also fall into the line of if we downplay ur; is that fair to the skaters that rotate their jumps(Joannie ; Akiko; Yu-na etc) Some even believe Mirai jumps in the short were UR and that she got lucky; Of course i don't expect volunteer judges to be 100% accurate ;they are human; So this comes to line that maybe some skaters should simplfy there program or they should just take the risk. To be this is no different from have a touch down called back do to a penalty;in football
    Last edited by enlight78; 11-03-2009 at 10:43 AM.

I'm also curious what people thought of the interim system?

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I like your optimistic outlook - but just saying skating is in better shape doesn't make it true.

It seems obvious that if Jenny, as a former skater herself is puzzled by the outcome of COC, then how in the world are the more casual fans supposed to undertsand, agree and even enjoy what we are seeing?

I really respect your knowledge and opinions but it also feels like you defend CoP without much consideration for what less informed skating fans are seeing and feeling.
    I really do think skating is in better shape. In 2006, the skaters had just been introduced to COP and there were Beillman's galore, messy positions and low speed in spins, and horrible death spirals. Today the programs are much more smooth and the positions are better. It's true that the performances haven't been fantastic so far but the skaters are all wanting to build for the Olympics - we have to remember it is only the beginning of November. By the time Skate Canada comes around I think we will start seeing amazing improvement in the competitors.

Maybe I do defend COP without thinking of the casual fan. I just don't buy the arguement that COP is that much harder to understand that 6.0. Ordinals were a messy, messy system and I think that even fewer people would have been able to understand that if they had been shown what the complete list of ordinals looked like. Thank you for your kind words

Custom Title
    Well said, Jenny!

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Good post by Jenny. I wonder if she visits any of these skating forums.

Custom Title
    At this rate, we will just going to see 2A and 3T and 3S in any competition. The downgrade system just getting out of hand a little bit. It's already bad enough that you see skater with only 2-3 clean triple jumps getting on the podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatetomusic View Post
    I'm also curious what people thought of the interim system?
    Worst of both worlds.

Down With It
    Well, what can I say? She nailed it!

Other than the 6.0 sentiment that's EXACTLY how I feel. I've explained in another thread a suggestion I have to possibly improve the way jumps are scored.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast