Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Is Mao back in the mix?

Is Mao back in the mix?

Peaking at the right time.

Well, Yu-na Kim has shown that she has vulnerabilities after all. (Although, to keep things in perspective, no one has beaten her yet.)

Joannie Rochette, Carolina Kostner, Aliona Leonova, the Finns, the Americans -- no one has taken the bull by the horns so far.

Mao Asada was disappointed with her performances in the early Grand Prix events. But that is ancient history now. I, for one, can't wait for Japanese Nationals!

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I, for one was shocked at how none of the commentators mentioned missing Mao during the GPF this weekend, even when they discussed Yu-na defeat last year. It was like they were trying to make to public forget about her. I still see no way that Mao can win the olympics, or anyone other than yu-na...she just proved that she will win, but just might not break a world record to skate either program clean in doing so.

Down With It
    I'd ask that question again AFTER Japan Nats.

I suspect after watching the GPF that Mao was given a major pyschological lift.

She had to see how poor some of the skating was and also had to see there was not a performance at the GPF she is not capable of beating.

Sometimes a boost in spirit can go a long way. Earlier I thought like many that Yuna would be untouchable in Vancouver. It may still turn out that way but I think Mao missing the silly competition this weekend was the best thing for her.

I guess we will see at Japanese Natls if she has gotten her mojo back. If she has - lookout Vancouver!

Custom Title
    I,for one, will be in Japan, soon. Can't wait to see the Nationals. We'll know more about how Mao is faring then. But I agree that Mao might have gotten psychological boost over watching the GPF. It's not a small thing especially in the Olympic year.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    meowmix

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I'd ask that question again AFTER Japan Nats.
    I agree.

I did miss Mao, though. This will come off as mean but the GPF ladies should have had 6 skating contenders, but it rather felt like only 3. Mao definitely should have been in on that...

Custom Title
    I hope Mao will do well at the Olympics. I don't think people have forgotten about her, it's just at this point Yuna is a lot better. Mao does not do 3-3s and her cominations often look UR, and her 3axel is hit or miss. Anyhow, I hope she does well this year because next year I expect Kanako Murakawi to take over as the best Japanese skater, she's 15 and just won the junior GPF. She's amazing and I think she could beat Mao, Miki, Akiko, the best of the Japanese ladies. Mao should try to reclaim her glory while she still can...

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I hope Mao will do well at the Olympics. I don't think people have forgotten about her, it's just at this point Yuna is a lot better. Mao does not do 3-3s and her cominations often look UR, and her 3axel is hit or miss. Anyhow, I hope she does well this year because next year I expect Kanako Murakawi to take over as the best Japanese skater, she's 15 and just won the junior GPF. She's amazing and I think she could beat Mao, Miki, Akiko, the best of the Japanese ladies. Mao should try to reclaim her glory while she still can...
    I am not sure if Miki or Akiko will continue skating competitively after this year, but I am admittedly a little skeptical about Kanako Murakami being better than Mao. At 15, Mao won the (Senior) GPF...

Custom Title
    Read somewhere that Mao skated at the GPF gala. Anyone know?

I wonder what Mao will be skating like at Natls. Will her two programs be the same

Will she still try the three 3A's?

I miss Mao but don't miss what I saw earlier this season from her.

Such a great and talented skater should be competitive - this of all seasons - and not lost somewhere between Russian Divadom and a splattering of missed 3A's.

Custom Title
    IMO, Mao was never out of the picture but if she continues to skate the way she has done this season, it may mean very well mean the end of her Olympic chances. Having no 3-3, flutzes and having hit very few of her triple axels this season have done little to bolster her confidence this season. That and choreography/music that doesn't suit the light nature of her beautiful skating... I feel sad for Mao. As if one triple axel wasn't risky enough... three!?!?!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    I am not sure if Miki or Akiko will continue skating competitively after this year, but I am admittedly a little skeptical about Kanako Murakami being better than Mao. At 15, Mao won the (Senior) GPF...
    Mao was probably better than Kanako at 15, but Kanako is probably better than Mao is now, or how Mao has been skating recently. Mao at 15 was better than Yuna and beat all three of the 2006 ladies OM at one point that season. She was also quite a bit better than Yuna...things change. Kanako is GREAT for sure though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFAC5fNFmlE . Compare that to Yuna at 15 and she might even be better

Medalist

Is Mao back in the mix?

Mao did not skate in the GP Final gala. She was not there.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Mao was probably better than Kanako at 15, but Kanako is probably better than Mao is now, or how Mao has been skating recently. Mao at 15 was better than Yuna and beat all three of the 2006 ladies OM at one point that season. She was also quite a bit better than Yuna...things change. Kanako is GREAT for sure though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFAC5fNFmlE . Compare that to Yuna at 15 and she might even be better
    Wow, you weren't kidding. Kanako has everything--including speed.

I'm not sure why you bring YuNa up, though. YuNa didn't peak when she was 15 years old. She steadily continued to improve.

Anyway, that's kind of depressing. I don't know why. Considering how truly amazing Mao was back then, one wonders why she didn't continue to get better and better. Without getting too deeply into it, I do feel like she may have been mismanaged, and you're right, the prospect of Kanako competing against her does sort of worry me a bit. Will Mao be passed on as Japan's darling to make way for Kanako? Just the thought of that kinda breaks my heart. I think I'd still cheer for Mao, though, and I hope to God (if only I were a theist) Mao comes back to her true form. Kanako is insanely good, but she's not quite as breathtaking as Mao was, and can be, when she shines.

I don't see any reason to feel sorry for Mao Asada just because there's a new kid on the block. That's the way it is. There's always competiton coming up behind you. To be Japan's darling for four years -- well, that's four years more than most people get.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast