hrmsk8ingnut - 13
heyang - 7
Piel - 9
Serenity - 4
RealtorGal - 1
Show 42 - 1
KwanFan1212 - 1
windspirit - 1

51. Which star of "Gilligan's Island" and "The Many Loves of Debbie Gillis" once taught math and history in elementary school?

52. What "Star Trek" actor played Robin on "Mission: Impossible"?

53. Which star of "Starsky and Hutch" made headlines during the '80s for beating his wife?

54. Which Monkee originally intended to be a jockey?

55. Which two actors on "Taxi" appeared in the film One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
1. Bob Denver

2. Leonard Nimoy

3. David Soul (?)

4. Davey Jones

5.Danny Divito and Christopher Lloyd

heyang

Record Breaker
51. Which star of "Gilligan's Island" and "The Many Loves of Debbie Gillis" once taught math and history in elementary school?
Bob Denver

Leonard Nimoy

53. Which star of "Starsky and Hutch" made headlines during the '80s for beating his wife?
David Soul

Davy Jones

55. Which two actors on "Taxi" appeared in the film One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest?
Danny DeVito & Christopher Lloyld

4dogknight

Final Flight
A: Bob Denver

A: There was no character – Robin.
Leonard Nimoy played Paris from 1969 to 1971 – Nimoy was in Star Trek, the original series.
Martin Landau played Rollin from 1966 to 1969 - Landau was in the sci fi series “Space 1999”
Additional trivia: “Martin Landau was Gene Roddenberry’s first choice to play Mr. Spock on the 1966 Star Trek series. Ironically, when Landau left “Mission: Impossible” his replacement was Leonard Nimoy.”

A: Still working on this one. Checked the net but couldn’t come up with a definitive answer. However common sense would lead me to answer David Soul because during the 80's Paul Michael Glaser was involved with his wife Elizabeth and her battle with HIV and AIDS and would probably not have been involved in wife beating.

A: Davy Jones

A: Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd

4dk

Last edited:
Bob Denver

I don't remember a Robin and since I loved "Mission: Impossible" and my name is Robin, you'd think I would. Got me on this one.

I'll provide an "MI" question just for fun: Who wrote the "Mission: Impossible" theme and in what 2002 movie did he play a small role as a conductor? Hint: The movie is the third in a series of films in which the first won the Oscar for best picture, though technically the story itself for the third film is not a sequel to the first.

David Soul

Davy Jones

Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd

I just noticed this and it's probably just a typo, but it's "Dobie Gillis" not "Debbie";) Can I get a half point extra credit? Just kidding.
Rgirl

Pookie

Final Flight

Bob Denver

David Soul

Davy Jones

55. Which two actors on "Taxi" appeared in the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?

Danny Devito and Judd Hirsch?

4dogknight

Final Flight
Hey Rgirl, and a gracious good morning to you!

Lalo Schifrin wrote the theme for "Mission: Impossible", as well as many other themes for TV and films. (In fact the only thing I'm sure he hasn't written is Nola!)
Additional MI trivia: According to Robert Justman in his book "Inside Star Trek," the famous "Mission: Impossible" theme was not the first theme written. Lalo Schifrin had written a main theme, but creator and executive producer Bruce Geller decided that it was inappropriate. Instead, Geller used some chase music Schifrin had written for the end of the first episode. That throwaway musical cue became one of the most famous and recognizable television show themes in history.

Schifrin played the conductor in the 2002 film "Red Dragon".

Additional RD trivia: Concert music played during the opening scenes; the music, "Scherzo" from "A Midsummer Night's Dream, Op.61" written by Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy.

4dk - whose better half is moving the PC and printer to another room in the house and is hoping for a speedy set up and no problems.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Answer: Bob Denver

<no answer>

Answer: Antonio Fargas (this is a guess)

Answer: Davy Jones

Answer: Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

4DK,
Yup, you got it, though I never doubted you would. Actually, I almost left out the hint but I wondered if it might help some movie fan get it. I love much of Schifrin's music. As a dancer, I choreographed a dance to a piece he had written for solo harp that is so beautiful and interesting. It's part of my vinyl collection, which is packed away until I can get a turntable otherwise I'd give you the specifics.

Also, when I was a kid our family had a player piano. Back in the '60s they still made the music rolls for player pianos and indeed we had the theme from "Mission: Impossible" on player piano roll. It was really a blast to hear it like that. Try to imagine a four-handed piano version of the "MI" theme on piano and you'll get the idea. Always wished I had choreographed to that and some of the other piano rolls. The closest I ever got was doing a short piece to a piece by Conlan Nancarrow, but his music is very different from "Poor Butterfly" lol.

Thanks for the info on the music in "Red Dragon." I recognized it, but couldn't place it.
Rgirl

4dogknight

Final Flight
My aunt had a wind-up victrola and a whole box full of cylinders at her summer cottage. Each year we'd spend two weeks there and when it rained, we'd be stuck in that cottage with only the victrola for entertainment.
The sad thing is that the only cylinder I remember is "Dardenella" recorded circa WWI. I'd waltz all around the cottage until my parents would stongly suggest I retire to my room so 'dog' forbid I break something in my aunt's house.

The only player piano I remember, outside of a museum, was the one at Hooker's resort at Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. A group of us would go up at least once a year for skiing and Hooker's was the most reasonable place to stay. But the only entertainment was the pool table and the player piano and of course the bar.
But then I was much younger then and it didn't take much to entertain me.

Now that I'm older and more sophisticated.......I still like Jerry Lee Lewis and still have fond memories of "Dardenella".

4dk who is still amazed at the body of Schifrin's work. I really mean that the only thing he didn't write is "Nola". So many of his themes for film and TV shows are so familiar and we take them for granted without realizing who wrote them.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
My great grand parents had a victrola and a beautiful player piano upright that had all of this elaborate carving. Very Victorian looking. After my granny got up in years (88) she hired a repair guy to come in and do some work for her. He admired the piano and she gave it to him in addition to paying him for the work. Later she said that she didn't think any of us would want "the old thing..it was always such a chore to dust". My mother got rid of the old victrola but kept all of the records for it:confused: .

Piel

4dogknight said:
4dk who is still amazed at the body of Schifrin's work. I really mean that the only thing he didn't write is "Nola". So many of his themes for film and TV shows are so familiar and we take them for granted without realizing who wrote them.
You're so right. The guy is amazingly prolific for film and TV, plus he wrote some really beautiful concert music. One of my favorite film scores that Schifrin did is "Cool Hand Luke" ca 1963-64. LS makes such great use of southern folk and gospel music in it, plus just the way he scores the film in general. The music he uses for the "Bull Game" section of the film was used for YEARS as the quintessential theme for every local news affiliate for their "Action News!" team. Schifrin must have made a bundle in royalties off of the 30 seconds the news stations used of that music. Funny that the music was originally written for a bunch of guys on a chain gang making a spontaneous competition out of shoveling dirt onto a road. I guess that kind of is a metaphor for TV news, lol.
Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
sorry everyone... mom tidied up the computer station and now I can't find the book... hopefully I'll find it today :eek: