CD - 12:30 am Friday Nov. 6, Eastern Time | Golden Skate

CD - 12:30 am Friday Nov. 6, Eastern Time

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The CD here at NHK is again the Tango Romantica (description below).

The time locally in Japan is 14:25:00 on November 6th. The local time according to the ISU is GMT + 9.

Here's the starting order:

WARMU UP GROUP 1

1 Jane SUMMERSETT / Todd GILLES USA
Jane and Todd 28.81 (4th) in the Golden Waltz at Finlandia. Their top CD score on the ISU web site is 27.50 at 2008 Skate America.

2 Allie HANN-MCCURDY / Michael CORENO CAN
This is the first competition outside Canada this year for Allie and Michael that I am aware of. Their all time high score in the CD from the ISU website is 34.39 at Budapest Junior Grand Prix 2004.

3 Cathy REED / Chris REED JPN
There best ever CD per the ISU was 28.16 at the 2008 World Championships.

4 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS
This is the first appearance outside Russia this year for the 2007 Jr World Champions that I am aware of. Their best ever ISU CD score was 35.52 at the 2007 World Junior Championships

5 Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG CHN
They scored 27.87 (8th) at Cup of China in the Golden Waltz. Their best ever ISU scored CD was 34.13 at Pokal der Blauen Schwerter 2004

Warm-Up Group 2
6 Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Matej NOVAK CZE
Scored 28.08 at Rostelecom Cup in the Tango Romantica (6th). Their best ever ISU score was 30.79 at JGP Czech Skate 2008

7 Anna ZADOROZHNIUK / Sergei VERBILLO UKR
Scored 29.43 at Cup of China in the Golden Waltz. They have not skated the TR this year on the GP or at Nebelhorn. Their best ever ISU scored Cd was 31.28 at the 2008 European Championships.

8 Vanessa CRONE / Paul POIRIER CAN
They scored 29.94 at Rostelecom Cup in the Tango Romantica (4th). Their best ever ISU Cd score was 33.71 at the 2008 Junior World Championships.

9 Sinead KERR / John KERR GBR
The CD at TEB was the Golden Waltz. The Kerrs were second in the CD with a score of 36.13. That was their best ever ISU CD score. We haven't seen Sinead and John skate the TR this year on the GP or at Nebelhorn.

10 Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE USA
Charlie and Meryl scored their best ever CD score in the Tango Romantica at Rostelecom Cup: 37.87 (1st) and 37.65 (1st) at Nebelhorn in theTango Romantica

A quick review of the Tango Romantica:

Ice-dance.com has the correct descriptions and layout of the dance:

http://www.ice-dance.com/reference/compulsories/
[Step Chart One]
http://www.ice-dance.com/reference/compulsories/tangorom-chart1.gif
[Step Chart Two]
http://www.ice-dance.com/reference/compulsories/tangorom-chart2.gif
[Pattern Lady]
http://www.ice-dance.com/reference/compulsories/tangoromlady.gif
[Pattern Man]
http://www.ice-dance.com/reference/compulsories/tangorom-man.gif

Music - Tango 4/4
Temp - 28 measures of 4 beats per minute; 112 beats per minute
Pattern - Optional
Duration - The time required to skate 2 sequences is 1:43 min

"This is a romantic sinuous dance which expresses the soft, lyrical interpretive characteristics of the Tango. It must be skated with deep edges. Foot and body movements must be deliberate and convey a sense of dignity approaching arrogance. Very erect carriage, precise timing, and continuous flow must be maintained. The difficulty of the steps should not be revealed in awkward or stressed upper body positions. Finally, coordination of free leg movements is essential to avoid a tangled, confused effect."

The dance was invented by Ludmilla Pakhomova, Alexander Gorshkov and Elena Tchaikovskaya.

First Performance - Moscow, 1974

To see good performances of this dance:

Linichuk & Karponosov, Olympics 1980
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3JtWL61fco

Klimova & Ponomarenko, Worlds 1992
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FVOmpEaZEw

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Doris, thanks for taking the time to list everything - though I miss last season's previews, when there were still Youtube links to so many lovely performances...

I do have a nitpicky question: why have recent event thread titles included the competition time in EST/EDT? I'm guessing that the majority of GS posters are not living on the US East Coast. Wouldn't it make more sense to either use the local time, or note the time in the US in the first post instead? Personally, I think the best title here would be NHK CD - it would make more sense when you see it on the main forum page, and competition threads would be easier to find once they go in the archives, though that won't be any time soon.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have listed the times as Eastern Standard/Eastern Daylight because that is the time that IN, which is broadcasting the CD, uses in its announcement of streaming times. If you all like, I could list what the isu says the time and date are in Japan, too, at the top of the thread.

In fact, I'll do that.

KKonas

Medalist
Description of CD Makes No Sense

The CD here at NHK is again the Tango Romantica (description below).

I have to laugh at whoever wrote the description of this dance. "It must be sinuous and express the softer aspects of the tango, but at the same time must have erect carriage and an expression of arrogance." This description makes no sense. The dance is titled Tango Romantica so it should be (sinuous) but NOT (arrogant) like Argentine Tango or a flamenco. It cannot be both.

According to the ISU Regulations For Ice Dancing, a book I have, the description reads, "This is a romantic dance which is skated in a soft, lyrical and sinuous manner. However deep edges are necessary to convey its mood."

Now that I think about it, that "arrogance" is what I find missing in Virtue and Moir's flamenco OD. Their interpretation is very "tame" unlike Anissina & Peizerat who really captured the attitude and arrogance of a flamenco..

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Now that I think about it, that "arrogance" is what I find missing in Virtue and Moir's flamenco OD. Their interpretation is very "tame" unlike Anissina & Peizerat who really captured the attitude and arrogance of a flamenco..
I would agree, but also add that I think one needs certain life experience to dance the true flamenco. One thing that struck me at the flamenco bars in Seville was that the best female flamenco dancers were often not too young, not were they necessarily pretty. I think V&M are just too young for the true flamenco spirit. Anissina, OTOH, comes quite close in temperament to the true flamenco, though I think she brings a bit too much Russian Gypsy into it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
." This description makes no sense. The dance is titled Tango Romantica so it should be (sinuous) but NOT (arrogant) like Argentine Tango or a flamenco. It cannot be both.

The description is from ice-dance.com, and was quoted from a previous version of the ISU rules. However:

If the TR should be danced like amorous cobras, both sinuous, and arrogant; it is easy to see one does not preclude the other.

According to the ISU Regulations For Ice Dancing, a book I have, the description reads, "This is a romantic dance which is skated in a soft, lyrical and sinuous manner. However deep edges are necessary to convey its mood."

Yes, I think you are right about this both ways: A&P's flamenco was spot on. I felt something missing from V&M's but hadn't yet identified that something, but you're right, it was arrogance that was missing. However, perhaps they will find the arrogance by Worlds.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Watching NHK Trophy on the internet for free?

Anyone know where I can watch NHK Trophy? TVU Networks? :frown:

I don't to wake up at 6.30 AM (compulsory dance) or 7.45 AM (pairs) on a non-work day to find no channel streaming it :cry::banging:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
there's no link popping up for me on IceNetwork, what am I doing wrong?

Nadine

Record Breaker
It's 9:30PM PST here in Seattle & I see nothing on icenetwork! Anybody else having the same problem?

EDITED TO ADD: I only tuned in to watch Gilles & Summersett, as they are another fav team of mine, and I'm freaking out because they are the first ones up & I can't see anything!

Nadine

Record Breaker
HELP!!!!!!!! Did it start? Anybody know? Btw, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. :(

Darn, this would happen to me, lol, I wasn't thinking about watching at all after last week's fiasco, but then I decided at the last minute that I wanted to because I love watching Gilles & Summersett, and now this happens.... :(

jcoates

Medalist
At least there are no scores up on the ISU site. Maybe they are behind schedule.

Nevermind 1st 2 teams have been scored.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
this is depressing...

and here I thought the Ice Network issues were all worked out from last season... go figure...

herios

Medalist
good to know I'm not alone, I guess.

Just opened my canadian live stream site, skate buzz and it says the broadcasting starts at 1:40am, which is one our from now...kinda sucks, because I was willing to stay up one more hour for the CD's but not that much more...