Men's Article: Jahnke says "Not intimidated by Plush"! | Golden Skate

Men's Article: Jahnke says "Not intimidated by Plush"!

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Here's an article that came out earlier today on the guys - looks like it's from the newspaper of the city hosting Skate America.

Happy to see that Scott Smith made it in - we may actually have a strong team. Interesting they mentioned Davydov - wonder if he'll be able to pull off another good skate like at Worlds...or if he was a "one-skate" wonder.

http://www.readingeagle.com/sports/index.asp

:D good luck to all the guys!

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Uh oh, where's the article?!?! Is it in your post and I missed it or did you forget to put the link there?!?! :confused:

Nevermind, its there now! LOL :laugh:

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Is Dinev really an international fan favorite? They are definitely not talking about me!

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Well, no one needs to be intimidated by Plush. It's fine not to be. Ryan has a gorgeous skating style when he isn't sliding on his behind across the ice, and if he could stay upright, I'm sure he would be rewarded.

I think it's fabulous that Sergei, Vakthang and Ivan were all mentioned in the mainstream press. That's just wonderful.

I can't wait to see them this weekend.

Laura :)

I got the Reading Eagle but no figure skating on it.

Anyway - Sergei Davydov showed more than promise at the DC Worlds. I hope they show him on ABC, but unless he's in the top three, I doubt.

Joe

alina

Rinkside
"but I don’t have to be flamboyant like him. We (the Americans) just need to show the judges we have comparable artistry, but in another style.”"(Jahnke)

flamboyant is another word for extravagant, is that right?

The last years showed that the skaters, who were "flamboyant", were the best of the world (Yagudin and Plushenko) and Ryan Jahnke has no comparable artistry - neither in the same nor in another style.

Alina

shine

Record Breaker
alina said:

and Ryan Jahnke has no comparable artistry - neither in the same nor in another style.

Alina
And it'd have been appreciated if you added IMO at the end of the sentence.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
An unusually cocky Weiss spoke of victory in every interview and even had a rented, champagne-stocked Humvee ready to whisk his entourage on a celebratory road trip to Atlantic City
Huh :confused: When has Weiss NOT been cocky???!!!
“I’m not intimidated to face Plushenko. I know I need to pump up my artistry, but I don’t have to be flamboyant like him. We (the Americans) just need to show the judges we have comparable artistry, but in another style.
I see nothing wrong with this statement. Noone shoul EVER imitate others, or it will look like a wannabe. Every skater has to find his or her own artistry. OTOH, I don't much like the "We the Americans" part. Traditionally, American and Canadian style are considered very similar, and I would be hard pressed to find a skater more flamboyant than Sandhu.
As at any figure skating competition, the majority of the audience is expected to be female, especially at the daily practice sessions that are open to the public.
What does this have to do with anything?

lil lion 816

Rinkside
It doesn't sound to me like Ryan is being cocky or arrogant at all. It sounds in fact as though he is pumping himself up to go into the season's competitions. I agree that no skater should allow him/herself to be "intimidated" by another...
As for the artistry - I believe that Ryan's is very "comparable" though in a different way. He needs to tame the jumps - he gets that job done and I feel he can compete with anyone in the world, IMO.
Good luck to him and the rest of the competitors! :)

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
I think Ryan's mindset toward Plush is pretty good. ::shrugs:: Plushy is amazing, but I think it's important for his competitiors that they view him as, well, a competitor, not a brick wall. If more skaters did that, maybe they'd deliver more confident performances against him. Tim, whether you like him or not, does not skate as if he is intimidated by Plushy. If anything, skating against Plushy and the other top skaters seems to bring out Tim's best performances.

I don't think it is a 'quality of skating' issue but a 'competitive mindset' issue. Ryan knows if he can skate like he did in the QR at Worlds he can pull some decent scores and place well. The judges have already shown him that. He shouldn't be a shrinking violet in the face of tough competition like some skaters we know. He should embrace the challenge. Whatever Ryan needs to do to mentally get himself in the mindset where he can feel comfortable skating against the top competitive skaters is fine with me as a spectator.

Are the Marlins as good as the Yankees? Not necessarily, but do they have to play like they believe they are? They do if they want to have a chance to win.

He also knows he doesn't have to imitate Plushy's style to place well. He can do his own thing, and if he does it well he'll get some nice scores.

BTW I've never felt Yagudin had an extravagant style. His style seems quite different from the other top former Soviet skaters (Petrenko, Urmanov, Plushy). It's isn't necessarily better, but I do think it is different.

lavender

Record Breaker
I was thinking why did he include Alexei Y. He’s expressive but not flamboyant. This why a lot of people in the U.S. like Alexei. I started liking Plushenko again because he calmed down last season. I hope that he continues that route.