Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Men's SP 3:10AM EST USA

OK, I just saw the Universal Sports broadcast. I was fine with Joubert placing ahead of Abbott and Weir in PCSs. Brian put on a show and demonstrated mastery of "the full vocabilary of skating" (as the CoP rules put it.

On Ashley Wagner's triple Lutz, Paul Wylie made the routine comment that, well, of course she will take off from an inside edge and take the e call, that's just the way she does this element. Shouldn't hurt her too much in the overall score.

He also said, when Kozuka was leaning so far over on his triple Axel and fell, "no one could have saved himself from that air position, except Todd Eldredge. (As Dick Button ofter commented about Todd, "you throw a cat out ugly, but it always lands on its feet.")

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Jeremy was amazing. I am SO happy for him and hope he builds momentum throughout the season and maintains this level of skating all year.

The nuance of his skating is amazing. These kinds of performances, you can watch multiple times a year. That is art.

Joubert is popcorn. He's good at it. Hurray for him. Sometimes we do need popcorn too.

Also - Yuka Sato was looking GORGEOUS. WOW.

I do think Jeremy needs a better costume, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    OK, I just saw the Universal Sports broadcast.
    Don't have Ice Network?

I'll buy it for you, MM. My favorite forum users deserve it.

Custom Title
    Yuka's coaching Jeremy Abbott? How cool is that? I've always loved her skating style, which is both artistic and meticulous. And she certainly has to know what it's like to be a good coach, after having watched and learned from her parents all these years.

She also seems to be one of the nicest people in the skating world, as Brian Orser is. See, you don't have to be a gorgon to be a successful coach. I hope both she and Orser get to see their skaters succeed magnificently in the Olympics and have many more talented skaters to train in the future.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    I dont know if it is the jumps or what ; I think it was the diva attitude but johnny program was a lot better than COR/ I really like his and Abbots footwork sequences it actually goes with the music ; oh yeah abbot did a great job and love the program; I really like Kozuka's program but he doesn't quite hit it' GO MEN

Custom Title
    I am so happy that Brian skated well and got the first place in SP. I have noticed the changes in several places compared with his last year's version. To be honest, I prefer the last year one, especially the pretend-running part. I don't think that he skated as freely as at last Worlds, but it was powerful and energetic. I so wanted him to shake off last a few competitions' disappointment. This was a good turnaround. I hope he could win tomorrow.

Jeremy was great. Though he was not as powerful and sexy as Brian, and was not as beautiful and delicate as Johnny. That's why he was in between of these two.

I love Johnny's SP. As I have already said in other threads, Johnny has kept his usual beautiful lines, in the meantime, added some power and strength in the choreography. A charming program! I am glad that he skated well this time.

Daisuki was a very artistic skater. I love his expressions but hated his hair. That disastrous fall! I wished he could be the second.

I haven't watched the complete Taka's SP yet, can't comment on that.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 11-07-2009 at 12:14 AM.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Joubert is popcorn. He's good at it. Hurray for him. Sometimes we do need too.
    That's got to be the best way to put it I've seen so far

Aww, thanks!

I believe that great art demands you to watch it multiple times and that you will see and/or feel something new each time (or at least feel the same amazing reaction every time). Nuance. Ambiguity. The unusual. These qualities allow the mind to go in different directions and eventually come to its own conclusion, which is very immersive.

When that level of cognitive depth combines with emotional involvement, the result is something that takes on a life of its own and allows us to revisit it again and again and again. True art beguiles the viewer into returning and continually appraising it.

Jeremy Abbott's skating has this kind of effect.

Joubert's skating lets you sit back and not think and be dazzled, but you will rarely find anything new to find interest in when you return to the performance again.

Lysacek is the most boring top skater out there for me because he is completely predictable and, on top of that, he doesn't really have a lot of "WOW" moments (such as the huge jumps of Joubert).

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10