Men's SP 3:10AM EST USA | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's SP 3:10AM EST USA

gourry

Final Flight
Ladies suck anyway. I will only watch because I don't need sleep at 10:51 a.m.

Ouch. That's a bit harsh...:laugh:
I want to see how Ashley and Laura do here but I guess I'll check it later... Too tired to stay. (But hey, nobody is even bothering to make a ladies SP thread?? Come on~~)

By the way, I'm so glad Brian got a new costume.:p
Jeremy's skating is just so seamless.... purely wonderful.
And Johnny... I mostly like his program but his costume is.... well.

Last edited:

Danale

On the Ice
Hey, it's early in the season. He rocked every long program early in the season last year. I fully expect him to lose all his mojo by the time the Olympics come around.

Plus, one extremely important thing about Abbott is his 3A - he either has it for a competition, or he doesn't. It's rare that he lands it in the SP, and then screws it up in the LP. And if his 3A is there, his artistic mojo, his confidence and most other jumps are too. He just can't make a mistake, it often makes him implode, not just on the jumps, but also on the artistry (he turns into deer-in-the-headlights) and choreography.

:rofl:
You know what? I'll bet on Brian performing finally a decent LP. I got no wise words on 4T or 4S and 3A combinations ... just cause I think I've waited long enough :p

schiele

Final Flight
Ouch. That's a bit harsh...:laugh:
I want to see how Ashley and Laura do here but I guess I'll check it later... Too tired to stay. (But hey, nobody is even bothering to make a ladies SP thread?? Come on~~)

By the way, I'm so glad Brian got a new costume.:p
Jeremy's skating is just so seamless.... purely wonderful.
And Johnny... I mostly like his program but his costume is.... well.

Yep it's harsh but I think it's what most of us are thinking on the inside! :laugh:
Unless ladies can step up from little ballerinas or totally mind numbingly boring programmes, I don't think we'll see much improvement. I guess this was harsher.. :laugh:
I am so happy for Brian, I hope he can land his jumps tomorrow.. He needs to take that pressure off him.
If Abbott could've had decent consistency, I think he could totally beat any American skater in all competitions. Too bad cos I think he's way above Lysacek, Weir or the others (yes, I'll probably get a mouthful for saying this). ;)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm loving these comments from Nadine. So much passion. And huge appreciation for Jeremy Abbott. :love:

I am mad that I did not watch the live coverage of this event. Silly me, doing other things.

The SP competition here sounded amazing. Joubert, Abbott, Weir, and Takahashi all doing brilliant things. Too bad that Kozuka had a big mistake. I can't wait to watch.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I didn't watch and only saw still photos of Brian Joubert, but the new costume is vastly preferable to the old one (not that it was so hard to accomplish that ;)). Surely the skate gods will wish to reward such a positive development! :laugh:

I just wish Brian and Evan Lysacek will someday figure out that it is possible to wear something other than black (or black and gold, in Brian's case).

schiele, I completely agree that Jeremy is better than Lysacek, just less consistent, and better than the current edition of Johnny Weir, too. Weir at the top of his game was better IMO than Abbott.

Was it really necessary to give Takahashi the highest PCS out of all the men?

schiele

Final Flight
I didn't watch and only saw still photos of Brian Joubert, but the new costume is vastly preferable to the old one (not that it was so hard to accomplish that ;)). Surely the skate gods will wish to reward such a positive development! :laugh:

I just wish Brian and Evan Lysacek will someday figure out that it is possible to wear something other than black (or black and gold, in Brian's case).

schiele, I completely agree that Jeremy is better than Lysacek, just less consistent, and better than the current edition of Johnny Weir, too. Weir at the top of his game was better IMO than Abbott.

Oh, it was Takahashi with highest PCS? Was it cos of the transitions or what? Interesting..
Ok I agree, Weir at his absolute best is better than all of the current US skaters. But it's been a while since I saw him at that level. Nevertheless I fully appreciate fighters (Weir, Rochette etc) or risk takers (Joubert, Verner etc).

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Omg, I'm shaking & crying, who is this American guy named Abbott? Seriously, his performance alone has made me fall in love with American Men's Skating again. I have no words ~ he's exquisite, reminisent of the 1976 American Men's Olympic Champion John Curry ~ he's that great!!!!!!!!!!!:bow::love::bow::love:

I'm definitely going to watch this Beatles routine over & over & over again, he was one with the music, everything was seamless, just flowed. Evgeni, you have competition for the Olympic Gold Medal if Abbott can land the quad. Seriously.

I have to quote this.

Abbott might be my favorite skater out there right now. We'll have to see what kind of shape Lambiel can get back into. I need to see Takahashi's new programs as well.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Just woke up from my nap to discover Johnny skated well and still didn't break 80. Great, that'll do wonders for his confidence. :disapp:

Danale

On the Ice
:rofl::rofl:
And if I may add to the fashion police: Why do Lysacek and Weir feel they have to have dangling thingies on their shoulder pads (reminiscent on Michael Jackson in the 80s)? :biggrin:

Like I wrote before, I thought it was VERY generous :unsure:

tilak

On the Ice
Just woke up from my nap to discover Johnny skated well and still didn't break 80. Great, that'll do wonders for his confidence. :disapp:
Well, Johnny skated okay and his jumps were there but seemed to leave out some content if you asked me. Hoping for more tomorrow.... ;)

schiele

Final Flight
And if I may add to the fashion police: Why do Lysacek and Weir feel they have to have dangling thingies on their shoulder pads (reminiscent on Michael Jackson in the 80s)? :biggrin:

Yes, I want an explanation on that one too.. Is it cool to pretend to be a "feathery" Jonny Cash? Well, my bf had a wonderful take on Weir's costume when he saw him for the first time this year in COR (yes I forced him into FS this year, hehe), but I think I cannot pronounce his comments here.. It was pretty much similar to what he said about Joubert's old SP costume (the black leathery thingy with the holes and everything..) :rofl:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Rewatched Brian. He looked especially French and delicious today.

This is an amazing field, because at the end of the day I don't really care who takes this home. I love all the guys who have a chance to win this, they are all awesome in their own way.

But I hope that Johnny goes clean and at least snatches a medal, that would mean a lot in this field - plus, his LP seems to have potential and I would love to see it clean.

poppy

Rinkside
Is Brian going to wear ALL Maxim Staviskis' costumes?
Seriously, I love Maxim, but his costumes are often just ...horrible.

Anyway, so glad Brian is back! (I hope he is really back this time and will skate great LP tomorrow). Still haven't seen Abott. It seems he was awsome...

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Missed it all this morning, so watched the top 5 on youtube.

Brian: an excellent 4+3, sold the program so well, the girls in the arena loved him and his skating. Still, no single pcs broke 8s. Very well deserved 1st place, congrats! :thumbsup: Another lesson to learn - never underestimate monsieur Joubert!

Jeremy: the pigs were flying today! I'm not a huge fan of that particular music selection/ grandpa's style of costume, but Jeremy demonstrated once again that he can skate. And he isn't far away from Brian points-wise, even though he only landed a 3+3, but that was a good solid triple-triple combo.

Johnny: I think he skated very well for an ill man, did his best, landed all his jumps, fought till the end. And it brought him a whole of 78.35. Well, Takahiko Kozuka got less for a clean intricate SP, in CoR. Although we aren't supposed to compare scores of different panels from different competitions.

Daisuke: not bad, although those sudden falls scare the hell out of me, every time. Says will try to quad tomorrow.

Takahiko: when was the last time he fell on his 3A, I mean, before today? C'mon, Takahiko! :bow: