Men's LP Ice Network broadcast Sat. Nov. 7, 1:55 a.m EST | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Ice Network broadcast Sat. Nov. 7, 1:55 a.m EST

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I believe you are correct:

Brian is 9+15=24
Johnny is 11+13=24

So most likely goes to both. Not sure of tie breakers.
Here are the current GP standings. Johnny is 9+13=22. He can be passed by Lysacek and Verner at SA (and likely will be). At Skate Canada, he can be passed by Brezina, Takahashi and Contesti. Both Contesti and Takahashi would need to win SC in order to move ahead of Johnny, and if either finishes second, it goes to the point tiebreakers. These will likely favor Dai and Samuel, as their 4th place finish was with a better score than Weir's. Brezina needs a silver at SC, because another bronze means Johnny would win the tiebreaker (highest placement). Abbott needs to win to get in; if everyone is at 22 points, he'd have the highest placement in that situation. So while each of them could pass Johnny, there is no way mathematically that all four of them will.

Oda and Joubert are already in. Verner and Lysacek should make it easily. SC is a pretty deep field, and my guess is that only Takahashi will qualify outright, unless Jeremy has an amazing skate. I don't see Brezina or Contesti finishing high enough to make it. This leaves us with Johnny either as the last qualifier or as the first alternate.

Last edited:
Thanks Schiele for the correction. Yes Johnny was 4th and Kozuka and Borodulin had very poor skates in NHK where Johnny didn't. Mea culpa

I'm not sure how it goes with tie breakers. If we give Evan and Verner 13 and 15, Verner is definitely in. Evan still has to go against a more difficult group of Men all of whom are wanting to get into the Final except for Chan who will more than likely make it difficult for someone who does. Think: Kevin; The Tens; Michal, Daisuke and Abbott. Evan has his work cut out.

Should be an all out drive here.

Do you still believe that 22 is not the magic number? or lots of Ties?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Either way, it's pretty odd that a 2nd + 4th place finish in your Grand Prix events qualifies for the GPF. I don't think I've ever seen less than a 2nd + 3rd place finish qualify for the GPF.

Although, during the 2006-2007 season when Johnny placed 2nd + 3rd at his events, he performances overall were worse.

Wow! Isn't that a scary statement? It'll take a huge step up to be in the class with them. I don't feel that way at all.
Re: Michal in a class like Curry and Browning.

for me, it is not so scary. He dances on ice. No one else does that, but others do compete better, if that's what you mean. Michal faces the Gold in Socci. Will he get it. I dunno, but he is the only Skate Dancer in this era.

jennylovskt

Medalist
^^ I can see why you compare Michal with Curry (whom I am not familiar with except watched a couple of his skating videos) and Browning. If you say that he is on his way to be in the class with them, I will have no objection. But to put him in the same class with two of the greatest figure skaters in the history, it seems more than a little too over rated him at present time. We don't know how he's going to skate in the up coming events in the senior level yet.

Besides, the music he chose required to dance like he did. (Michal is very good, I agree. And I like him very much too.) I bet if you give this music to Patrick Chan, he can skate like this too.