Influence of Japanese sponsors on Judging | Golden Skate

Influence of Japanese sponsors on Judging

Basics

On the Ice
I'm sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I've gotta say "wtfffffffffffffffffffff"
Takahashi winning both sp and fs PCS? come on,,,u serious???W A joke!
he fell like, what? five times???
I seriously don't wanna see this again,,everrrrrrrrrrr.
glad that Jonny at least got a medal.
It's five right now,,, but I probably not gonna get a good sleep~soRRy guys~

Last edited:

daihard

Rinkside
Dakahashi winning both sp and fs PCS? come on,,,u serious???W A joke!
he fell like,,,what,,five times???

It is Takahashi. :)

I am sure he was penalized for his falls in his TES, if not PCS.

life684

Final Flight
I think rest of the countries should also find sponsors for ISU, they could do with bit more of $s.

daihard

Rinkside
I think rest of the countries should also find sponsors for ISU, they could do with bit more of $s.

Vicious cycle, isn't it? No sponsors lead to less interest in figure skating, which drives even more sponsors away...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m glad to hear that Takahashi´s PCS was high in spite of TES, because that is exactly the way it should be, if correctly judged.

chloepoco

Medalist
Dakahashi winning both sp and fs PCS? come on,,,u serious???W A joke!
he fell like,,,what,,five times???

I think Takahashi received the PCS that he did because he earned them, not, as you seem to be insinuating, because of the 'influence of Japanese sponsors on judging.'

daihard

Rinkside
I think Takahashi received the PCS that he did because he earned them, not, as you seem to be insinuating, because of the 'influence of Japanese sponsors on judging.'
Besides, could the presence of those Japanese sponsors really influence the judging when the scores are submitted anonymously?

life684

Final Flight
If that was the case somebody like Piseyev will surely find enough sponsors to ensure that his athletes bags at least 2 gold medals.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
lySAcek, a slight OT:
how did you come up with that funky user name? ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Besides, could the presence of those Japanese sponsors really influence the judging when the scores are submitted anonymously?

Because the scores are submitted anonymoulsy we will never know.

I did see what I thought were brand new Rolex watches on several of the judges ;)

Just kidding and everyone knows that is an old Juventus trick from the great Serie A

Forza Inter :cool:

daihard

Rinkside
Because the scores are submitted anonymoulsy we will never know.

The flip side of the coin is that we will never know who wouldn't budge, either. Besides, what's the point of sucking up to someone if he doesn't know who it is? :biggrin:

sjwh08

Rinkside
Sucking up so obviously but not not sucking up hard enough to guarantee the podium? Judges are SMART! JK;)

But seriously, don't be so paranoid and upset. It's all good.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The flip side of the coin is that we will never know who wouldn't budge, either. Besides, what's the point of sucking up to someone if he doesn't know who it is? :biggrin:

Why would they "be budging" at all - what are you suggesting? :)

I am just kidding - and was being very general - without a thought to Japanese, American, or any other sponsors.

I just don't believe in anonymous voting at a sporting event unless it is necessary to hide something from the fans. Like a fair, unbiased result for instance. ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
But does it exist at all?

I am sure that many in figure skating are honest and trying to be fair and unbiased.

But no matter how much you tweak a system, this is still a very subjective sport.

Going back it in time it seems that there were also controversies over school figures and how they were judged with hints and complaints about favoritism.

Some say figure skating is not a real sport like baseball.
IMO, baseball is one of the most subjective sports in the world. The game is based on subjective calls by an umpire who can make or break a hitter or pitcher by the way he inteprets the strike zone. Close calls about base runners being safe or out can be subjective and are frequently hotly disputed.

I can say the same about football/soccer which depends on subjective rulings by an official and linesmen which are often shown to be wrong on replay. Offsides calls, redcards, and of course the dreaded penalty shot often determine the outcome of a game and are not always correct.

It is interesting that football/soccer is still resisting the use of instant replay, even in a limited manner. It is always voted down by the biggest and richest clubs in Europe because of one key factor: favoritism and calls they get based on their big reputations.

Sorry if that got off-topic - but I think figure skating, even if everything and everybody involved at a specific event is as honest and unbiased as possible will still have some controversies over the marks and scores.

It is just so subjective that I can't imagine it being any other way.

Unfortunately, I belive there is still as much favoritism and judging by reputation as there ever was under 6.0.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
But no matter how much you tweak a system, this is still a very subjective sport.
It is just so subjective that I can't imagine it being any other way.

Yeah, exactly.

Unfortunately, I belive there is still as much favoritism and judging by reputation as there ever was under 6.0.

Becoming one of the favorites would help then?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Becoming one of the favorites would help then?

yes, that is what I am saying. Not just in skating but in many sports. Famous central defenders in football do not get called for as many penalties as a new player just breaking into the league.

Established pitchers in baseball are considered to have a bigger strike zone than a rookie pitcher.

Miki Ando (who I like) seems to get more favorable marks because of she is and what she has done than Alena who is still new. Jenny just mentioned Joubert and Kiira.

There is nothing new or unique about any sport protecting or propping up it's stars. People pay their hard earned money to see players like Kaka and Messi and it is natural for their league to make sure they are not knocked around and forced to miss many games caused by overly rough play.
Then there were the Jordan rules. American football protects the quarterbacks so tightly some have joked they should be wearing dresses :p

So if other sports can protect their stars is it so odd to think skating also gives preferential treatment to it's top attractions?

In a struggling sport like figure skating it feels like ISU officilas are very aware of this. Skating federations are aware of this too.

ETA: There could be "Mao rules" but when you mess up as badly as she did this season people would have to be blind to see her getting anything more than the best pcs.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Miki Ando (who I like) seems to get more favorable marks because of she is and what she has done than Alena who is still new..

I like both girls, and while Miki's had her moments of misery and has built up her reputation as a top skater, Alena is making her way up in the ratings fast. A medal in the upcoming Euros? Possible. In terms of reputation, will a recent Euro title count as much a World title, but 2 seasons ago? Who knows. Am saying, they should have made the guidelines for reputation-based judging clearer. Those are rather confusing, in their current state.

So if other sports can protect their stars is it so odd to think skating also gives preferential treatment to it's top attractions?

Depends on corporate vision and priorities, I guess. Can't find a section on isu mission on the official site.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Depends on corporate vision and priorities, I guess. Can't find a section on isu mission on the official site.

That reminds me of a scene from the film, "A Few Good Men."

A marine is being cross examined and is asked if he gets fed every day. Without hesitation he answers, "yes sir, we get three squares (meals) a day."
The lawyer then asks him to find this rule in his service handbook.
The marine gives him a blank look. He is asked "then how do you know when it is time to eat?" The marine answers, "that's easy, I just follow the line to the mess hall."

There are rules.....and there are unwritten rules.
As long as the perception seems legit manipulation is possible.

Sometimes a little common sense is needed for the good the sport.
ISU is not exactly awash in cash and in an Olympic year who is to say that there is not a degree of manipulation going on if the officials think it is good for the long term health of skating.

Olympic years and the year that follows them are important to an organiztion like ISU. They stand to make more money this year and next year than the two years that will follow.

So my motto is hope for the best and expect anything :)

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
That reminds me of a scene from the film, "A Few Good Men."

ISU is not exactly awash in cash and in an Olympic year who is to say that there is not a degree of manipulation going on if the officials think it is good for the long term health of skating.

I've seen the movie. A few times, I believe. Wasn't it about how people lose their humanity and morality, when they choose to blindly follow some unwritten rules.