2-6 will be among the following

Jubert - no more to skate = 24

Weir - no more to skate = 22

If the following win bronze at SA or SC they will have the following:

Contesti = 20

Brezina = 22

Lysacek = 22

Verner = 22

That makes 7 eligibles but we know that Lysacek and Verner are still to skate at SA and both are favorites. However, neither should fall below bronze. There are other skaters who may prevent 3rd place for either of them.

At SC it is likely that Chan will be a Spoiler for someone as well as Abbott who can not make GPF unless if he wins, and we go to the Scores. Brezina has a good shot to make the Finals but it should be more than 22 so he needs a silver. Abbott is the key here.

NOTE: All those who wind up at 22, we go to the Scores.

life684

Final Flight
1. Nobunari -
2-6 will be among the following

Jubert - no more to skate = 24

Weir - no more to skate = 22

If the following win bronze at SA or SC they will have the following:

Contesti = 20

Brezina = 22

Lysacek = 22

Verner = 22

That makes 7 eligibles but we know that Lysacek and Verner are still to skate at SA and both are favorites. However, neither should fall below bronze. There are other skaters who may prevent 3rd place for either of them.

At SC it is likely that Chan will be a Spoiler for someone as well as Abbott who can not make GPF unless if he wins, and we go to the Scores. Brezina has a good shot to make the Finals but it should be more than 22 so he needs a silver. Abbott is the key here.

NOTE: All those who wind up at 22, we go to the Scores.

Sorry Joe, by score i hope you also meant the best position obtained by the skater also. I think the first tie beaker is best position in any of the two gp and second breaker is combined total of the GPs.
English is not my 1st language and it just came to me that u meant total score as 1st tie breaker, so correct me if I am wrong.

And abbott if he wins, he will qualify as his 1st tie breaker is a 1st.

Last edited:
I have logged on several times but it seems each time I post I must fill out the Registry Sheet.

Life - I'll try to remember what I wrote. Firstly, thank you for your post. I have the rules for breaking a tie but too lazy to get them. I just thought that in case of ties, it would just go to the sum of the total scores for each skater in the tie. Thank you again for your enlightenment.

Joesitz

I have logged on several times but it seems each time I post I must fill out the Registry Sheet.

Joe, try deleting your Temporary Internet files (Internet cache). Tools -> Internet Options -> Delete All. Make sure your cookies are enabled (easiest way, just make sure your Security and Privacy settings in Tools -> Internet Options are set to "default.")

Then when you log on to Golden Skate, be sure to check "remember me."

enlight78

Medalist
i think contesti; stephen,denis ten, chan ,brandon mroz, jeremy could really shake things up even if they dont qualify they could block others from doing it to( I will be looking at Evan; Tomas,Michal, and Daisuke)

Joe, try deleting your Temporary Internet files (Internet cache). Tools -> Internet Options -> Delete All. Make sure your cookies are enabled (easiest way, just make sure your Security and Privacy settings in Tools -> Internet Options are set to "default.")

Then when you log on to Golden Skate, be sure to check "remember me."

Thank you MM. I will give it a whirle tomorrow. The Stenosis keeps me up most nights, and as dizzy as I am naturally, it makes me more dizzy.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Nobunari Oda and Brian Joubert for making the GPF! Hope it's a successful season for them!! :cool::bow::rock:

Last edited:

☆Genie

Rinkside
Congrats to Nobunari Oda and Brian Joubert for making the GPF! Hope it's a successful season for them!! :cool::bow::rock:

Nobunari!! He's peaking at the right time of his career. The olympics! Joubert is looking fine too. It's going to exciting to see who snatches the last spots.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
And Verner throws a monkey spanner into the works

1. If he medals, he's in the GPF. No arrangement of men from Skate Canada changes that - one may match him with 24 points, beating him via the first tiebreaker (Takahashi OR Contesti would have 1st and 4th, which beats Verner's 2nd and 3rd, but that's only one guy.).

2. If he comes in fourth, he needs one of Contesti or Takahashi to get lower than silver. If they do, he's in. His 2nd + 4th would beat their 4th+ (<3rd). If they are the top two, then it becomes a Lysacek, Oda, Joubert, Wier, Contesti and Takahashi GPF. And if anyone predicted that at the beginning of the season, I salute you.

3. If he comes fifth.... than things get REALLY complicated. Verner will have twenty points.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So, which line-ups allow Verner GPF Entry?

I was thinking about the complicated math that would allow Verner into the GPF, and it was a lot easier if he would've placed fourth.

Okay. So there are six men who could place in the GPF ahead of Verner at this point (I'm going for possible, not plausible), and they are: Takahashi, Abbott, Contesti, Brezina, van de Perren and Carriere. So, for Verner to make it, he needs the following.

1. Brezina to come in at fourth or lower (2+ 5 beats out 3 + 4)
2. Contesti and Takahashi to come in third or lower (ditto)
3. Abbott to come in third or lower OR place second with a score of less than 215.57; van de Perren with a score 234.90 in the same boat
4. Carriere and to lose gold.

So basically, he's thanking his lucky stars that Chan's in the event with no chance of disrupting his GPF plans. So, possible podiums that allow him entry....

1. Chan
2. Carriere OR van de Perren w/ <234.90 or Abbott with <215.57
3. Contesti OR Takahashi
4. Brezina

So, If one skater breaks the mold outlined and movies upwards, it's okay. Not so if two do so.

Now, given the bizarro universe that the Grand Prix has inhabited this season, I don't want to tempt fate.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Now, given the bizarro universe that the Grand Prix has inhabited this season, I don't want to tempt fate.

A truer statement has ne'er been said. Seriously, the entire Grand Prix series this season has been one curveball after another. I suspect that this will build up to an equally bizarre Olympic podium...which might not necessarily be a bad thing.

Couldn't have said it better!:laugh:cool:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I am dizzy, I copied but not pasted. I'll stay by to see if this works:

Gentlemen

Nobi - 30
Evan - 28
Brian - 24
Weir -22
Verna - 20 may not be enough

2 More gentlemen to be considered

Michal - 11
Daisuke - 9

(Of course, Patrick may override in placements for Michal and Daisuke.)

magicalwords

On the Ice
30 pts - Oda Nobunari (1st, 1st)
28 pts - Evan Lysacek (2nd, 1st)
24 pts - Brian Joubert (4th, 1st)
22 pts - Jeremy Abbott (5th, 1st)
22 pts - Takahashi Daisuke (4th, 2nd - 445.49)
22 pts - Johnny Weir (4th, 2nd - 416.25)

This is the final list.
3 US men!

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yep, pretty awesome.

I wish Kozuka would have made the GPF instead of Joubert, though, LOL.

It would have been a total American vs. Japanese battle!!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For those interested, here's the list, including the alternates:
http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2009/gpsmen.htm

1 Nobunari ODA JPN 15 15 30 1 482.11 2 319.56 163.33 162.55 24
2 Evan LYSACEK USA 13 15 28 1 469.89 2 309.92 158.55 159.97 24
3 Brian JOUBERT FRA 9 15 24 1 440.09 2 282.59 147.35 157.50 24
4 Jeremy ABBOTT USA 7 15 22 1 441.44 2 279.44 153.99 162.00 24
5 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN 9 13 22 2 445.60 2 291.12 155.01 154.48 24
6 Johnny WEIR USA 9 13 22 2 416.25 2 265.33 139.35 150.92 23

PLACE 7 - 9: SUBSTITUTE FOR THE ISU GRAND PRIX OF FIGURE SKATING FINAL
7 Tomas VERNER CZE 13 7 20 2 424.02 2 287.12 148.96 136.90 24
8 Michal BREZINA CZE 11 9 20 3 419.80 2 277.08 146.68 142.72 24
9 Takahiko KOZUKA JPN 13 4 17 2 401.13 2 251.58 139.63 149.55 23

Sheena

Rinkside
I have a query about the possible jump content permitted in a man's FS. As I cannot find what other thread to ask it in & it may be a possible happening at the GPF or another upcoming major competition I am asking it here, hoping that one of you knowledgeable posters may know the definative answer.

I seem to remember (though I can no longer locate the protocals) that when Daisuke set his record FS score at 4CCs in 2008 he landed two quad toes, two triple toes & two triple axels. The ISU guidelines (if I have understood them correctly) state that a quad & triple of the same type count as different jumps - does this mean that a skater can still repeat two different triples as well as a quad? Or have the rules changed since 2008 4CCs?

Thanking you in anticipation
Sheena