Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Skate America: Predictions

Custom Title
    As I recall, Nastia and Shawn were lean, but they were muscular. If you look at the American and Canadian skaters, they are slim, but also muscular. Joannie and Ashley actually have biceps! Yu-Na is so thin it scares me.
    Last edited by PolymerBob; 11-10-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Isn't Andre Lutai using a N.American choreographer. That may be what he needs. I do like his skating in general. Is there a 2009 bio on him?

Quote Originally Posted by turtle
    I guess some people 'have to' believe that all the slim beautiful women are torturing themselves by not eating chocolates and burgers every day.
    That's simply insulting and patronising.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Isn't Andre Lutai using a N.American choreographer. That may be what he needs. I do like his skating in general. Is there a 2009 bio on him?
    He used Tom Dickson last year, and I think it showed in his programs. But what I saw from the Mishin summer training camp didn't look too promising. He really must have been out of form at the beginning of the season, since they reduced his GPs to one (he was Top Ten at Worlds!).

I can't find any information about his new programs, his ISU bio hasn't been updated yet. The Russian wiki also doesn't offer additional information.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    As I recall, Nastia and Shawn were lean, but they were muscular. If you look at the American and Canadian skaters, they are slim, but also muscular. Joannie and Ashley actually have biceps! Yu-Na is so thin it scares me.
    This is your idea of "muscular"? http://gymblog.files.wordpress.com/2...-hollywood.jpg

http://kthanxbye.files.wordpress.com...tia_liukin.jpg

While I agree that YuNa is thin, Joannie is the only one who has noticeably defined biceps.

Ashley Wagner, 2008 NHK: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Carmichael.jpg

YuNa
    http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/afpji/2009...5a46.2210b.jpg

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the eating habits of Koreans, so maybe Yu-Na's diet isn't as crazy as we are imagining. But when I see a skater like Caroline Zhang maintain a slender figure while eating anything and everything (including cakes, french toast, pizza, ice cream, etc), I wonder why any skater would torture themselves with such an extreme diet. Isn't it better just to eat healthy and sensibly? I'm not saying eat a bunch of sweets like Caroline seems to do-- that's not good for anyone-- but eating everything in moderation sounds a lot better than extreme dieting. If anything, an extreme diet probably zaps you of the energy and strength you would need for high-level training. And it wrecks your metabolism so that when you do start eating normally, your body can't handle it. When you are training 20-30 hours a week and burning off a ton of calories, an extreme diet doesn't seem necessary. Yu-Na won't even eat meat? That seems way too overboard.
    While I do believe YuNa could stand to gain some body fat (and has room to eat a little more), her diet isn't "extreme" (it's restricted.) Clearly, she isn't zapped for energy when she competes or otherwise.

On the other hand, why do you think people who regularly overeat are often more tired than not?

Caloric counting is outdated and overly simplistic (the converse is also true--caloric counting is one of the weakest methods to build a diet for the purpose of losing weight.)

Tripping on the Podium
    I do believe we're jumping on a conclusion here just based on one article which came out from her formal coach who she trained with when she was 10. Had it been Orser who spelled out these words, I would've been worried a little bit.

I never thought Kim was too skinny.. maybe because her body proportion seems too perfect for me.. I don't know. If today's Kim is rather unhealthy Kim, I wonder she'll be able to do quads when she's healthy .

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Wait. I didn't want to get into this discussion about Yuna's restrictive diet, but your post made my jaw drop. I haven't read every single post on this thread but I thought that people are making all these disapproving comments about her diet based on this little information that she has a calorie restrictive diet. Why are some of us jumping into conclusions or making unsupported claims as if we had been waiting for an opportunity to bash her?
    Agree. There are people who are ready to criticise her. Orser, as her coach, certainly manages her diet plan, I believe. He wouldn't let her do an EXTREME DIET. In fact, she has never been healthier than now. In 2007, she could barely finish her lp, but now it seems that stamina is not her issue any more. If she is on an extreme diet, how could it be possible.

I believe, every skater is on her/his diet plan. Don't you remeber Kirk's article? If you see a skater in person, I am sure you will find he/she is very slim.

Custom Title

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    This picture was taken in spring of 2007, almost 3 years ago. After that she gained at least 4 kg.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    He used Tom Dickson last year, and I think it showed in his programs.
    ITA! It certainly did!

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I can't find any information about his new programs, his ISU bio hasn't been updated yet. The Russian wiki also doesn't offer additional information.
    Lutai chose the dynamic Carmina Burana by Carl Orff for the short program and the more lyrical Peer Gynt Suite by Edvard Grieg in a modern arrangement for the free skating. "My girl friend Ina (Demireva, Bulgarian ice dancer) suggested the short program to me. I showed it to Alexei Nikolaevitch (Mishin) and he also liked it," revealed Lutai. "The only thing is that a part of the music contains lyrics. I have a friend who suggested a good musician and DJ to me and he will now arrange the music in a way that the lyrics are completely dubbed."

Lutai explained that it took him a long time to decide about the free skating music. "We had different ideas ranging from cheerful to serious music. In the end, Alexei Nikolaevitch (Mishin) suggested this alternative to me, and the choreographer Evgeni Kovtun traveled to us to Italy. As soon as he arrived, we switched on the music. I liked it and I'm all for it. I liked all parts. So we started to put the program together. It is not a completely classical version and I think there are different moods within this music. Some parts are more cheerful and others are more sad. I like it because it is easy to listen to." (c)
    Forever yours GS: http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2009/080909.shtml

Custom Title
    oh I thought this was a prediction threat............

Any predictions on Yuna's weight after the olympics

Medalist
    Still talking about Yuna's diet?

As long as we don't see her losing noticeable weight in a short period of time, she must be eating fine. If anything, I'd be more worried about overweight skaters whose weights are affecting jumping abilities than skinny skaters.

Even if Yuna's not a skater, she must be not so skinny in Korean standard. She probably has much more muscles than most of Korean girls do. Please don't even compare her with Joannie. I bet Asian women (except professional body builders) rarely get that muscular.

Let's just let her diet regime be whatever it is.

Tripping on the Podium
    Ooh I'm a sucker for Joannie's biceps..

Looking back.. I cannot believe this was actually a prediction thread..haha..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sjwh08 View Post
    Still talking about Yuna's diet?

Let's just let her diet regime be whatever it is.
    Exactly. Until we see sudden weight decreases and/or noticeable decreases in skating quality à-la-Akiko-circa-2003 (which obviously isn't the case), there's no need to scrutinize. I think we're getting a bit carried away in our need to undermine perceived perfection here. Do we really need to blemish Yu-na's AMAZING work ethic with this anorexia gossip?

Quote Originally Posted by yqs100 View Post
    ...Any predictions on Yuna's weight after the olympics...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast