Skate America: Predictions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skate America: Predictions

I can't even believe that 1200 calories would provide enough power for what elite skaters do. I just take it as a journalistic error, until I hear it from "the horse's mouth."

cosmos

On the Ice
I can't even believe that 1200 calories would provide enough power for what elite skaters do. I just take it as a journalistic error, until I hear it from "the horse's mouth."

In 2006, her official weight was 43kg. In 2008, it was 46 kg. Now, it is 47 kg.

http://www.yunakim.com/ click PROFILE

So, no matter how much calorie she takes everyday (in season), her weight increases continually, which indicates that she has no health problem coming from her diet plan.

Last edited:

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Yuna's weight is perfectly normal in any case and she is very strong, because she doesn't seem tired even after her LP. 1200 kcal? Defying the laws of physics? Why not, actually...

But we don't know her diet plan. There is only one article in Google about it available in English.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
In 2006, her official weight was 63kg. In 2008, it was 66 kg. Now, it is 67 kg.

http://www.yunakim.com/ click PROFILE

So, no matter how much calorie she takes everyday (in season), her weight increases continually, which indicates that she has no health problem coming from her diet plan.

Um ..... 67 kilograms is 147 1/2 pounds. There is no way on this earth Yu-Na weighs that much. I would be surprised if she weighs 100 pounds. Maybe .... just MAYBE she weighs 90.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
PolymerBob
Um ..... 67 kilograms is 147 1/2 pounds. There is no way on this earth Yu-Na weighs that much. I would be surprised if she weighs 100 pounds. Maybe .... just MAYBE she weighs 90.
By the way, you're right.
I just checked her CD book and it says that she weighted 47 kg (that CD came out at the end of the last year).

cosmos
I wondered if the site is wrong or you :)

evangeline

Record Breaker
Sorry to interrupt the 'Let's Debate Yu-Na's Weight' show, but this is the predictions thread after all. Here are my picks:

LADIES:
1) Yu-Na Kim
<30+ points, give or take>
2) Rachael Flatt
3) Fumie Suguri

MEN:
1) Yasuharu Nanri (a Japanese man has won Skate America since 2005, after all)
...ok, I kid.
1) Evan Lysacek
2) Tomas Verner
3) Brandon Mroz

PAIRS:
1) Shen/Zhao
2) Zhang/Zhang
3) Volosozhar/Morozov

DANCE:
1) Belbin/Agosto
2. Khokhlova/Novitski
3. Cappellini/Lanotte

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Mens
1. Evan Lysacek
2. Tomas Verner
3. Brandon Mroz
4. Andrei Lutai
5. Shawn Sawyer

No real thoughts here. Bronze is between four guys (Bradley and the latter three), and I'm predicting Mroz because... why not?

Womens
1. Yu Na Kim
2. Rachel Flatt
3. Elene Gedevanishivili
4. Fumie Suguri
5. Julie Sebestyn

I predict that this will be Kim's first competition since the GPF where she doesn't set a record.

Pairs
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Zhang/Zhang
3. Volosozhar/Morosov
4. Duhamel/Buntin
5. McLaughlin/Brubaker

Dance
1. Belbin/Agosto
2. Khoklova/Novitski
3. Capellini/Lanotte
4. Zaretski/Zaretski
5. Gorshkova/Butikov

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
OK, let me try.

MEN
Evan Lysacek
Brandon Mroz
Toman Verner

LADIES
Rachael Flatt
Yu-Na Kim
Fumie Suguri

PAIRS
Zhang/Zhang
Castile/Okolski
Shen/Zhao

DANCE
Belbin/Agosto
Gorshkova/Butikov
Navarro/Bommentre

OK, let me try.

MEN
Evan Lysacek
Brandon Mroz
Toman Verner

LADIES
Rachael Flatt
Yu-Na Kim
Fumie Suguri

PAIRS
Zhang/Zhang
Castile/Okolski
Shen/Zhao

DANCE
Belbin/Agosto
Gorshkova/Butikov
Navarro/Bommentre
You should put money on some of these picks. If they win, you're rich! :laugh:

(You are joking, aren't you? I know I was.... in part.)

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Well, first, 47 kg is 103.6 lb. That seem like a reasonable weight for someone her height, maybe a little on the light side but not starvation skinny.

My SA predicts:

Men:

1. Evan Lysacek
2. Tomas Verner
3. Ryan Bradley

Ladies:

1. Yuna
2. Flatt
3. Pokyio

Pairs:

1. Shen/Zhao
2. Zhang/Zhang
3. Volosozhar/Morozov

Ice Dancing (guessing totally):

1. Belbin/Agosto
2. Khokhlova/Novitski
3. Chock/Zuerlein

chansb

Spectator
Womens
1. Yu Na Kim
2. Rachel Flatt
3. Elene Gedevanishivili
4. Fumie Suguri
5. Julie Sebestyn

I predict that this will be Kim's first competition since the GPF where she doesn't set a record.

Considering her protocols and programs in TEB, You'd better bet she'll break her records both short program & free skating. But who actually cares? Just let her alone to.........to walk in a park for a while.
I also think Rachel Flatt will prove herself as right person who will go to Cananda next year. :)
Looking forward to having best performances both Rachel and Yuna.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
You should put money on some of these picks. If they win, you're rich! :laugh:

(You are joking, aren't you? I know I was.... in part.)

Yes, I'm joking. Brandon has a very small chance of beating Tomas.

And with 1,200 screaming calories under her hood, a silver would be very respectable for Yu-Na. :rofl:

gold12345

Medalist
Yu-Na's diet is more interesting than my predictions.

Men
1. Evan Lysacek
2. Tomas Verner
3. Brandon Mroz

Not sure if Mroz will really get bronze, but I didn't know who else to pick. It's not a great field.

Ladies
1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Rachael Flatt
3. Fumie Suguri

Again, who will get bronze? Fumie had a weak first outing on the GP, but the rest of the ladies in the field have been skating rather poorly lately, too.

Pairs
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Zhang/Zhang
3. Volosozhar/Morosov

Pairs has a strong field this week. I hope McLaughlin/Brubaker can skate well to challenge for bronze. They definitely have a chance if they minimize their errors, as the Ukrainians will almost certainly make several mistakes.

Dance
1. Belbin/Agosto
2. Khoklova/Novitski
3. Capellini/Lanotte

Dance on the Grand Prix this year has been so predictable.

Well, after reading the article, I am quite sure that she will retire after Vancouver - because, honestly, who wants to continue with such a miserable diet after having won the biggest prices this sport has to offer?

I'm not familiar with the eating habits of Koreans, so maybe Yu-Na's diet isn't as crazy as we are imagining. But when I see a skater like Caroline Zhang maintain a slender figure while eating anything and everything (including cakes, french toast, pizza, ice cream, etc), I wonder why any skater would torture themselves with such an extreme diet. Isn't it better just to eat healthy and sensibly? I'm not saying eat a bunch of sweets like Caroline seems to do-- that's not good for anyone-- but eating everything in moderation sounds a lot better than extreme dieting. If anything, an extreme diet probably zaps you of the energy and strength you would need for high-level training. And it wrecks your metabolism so that when you do start eating normally, your body can't handle it. When you are training 20-30 hours a week and burning off a ton of calories, an extreme diet doesn't seem necessary. Yu-Na won't even eat meat? That seems way too overboard.

I never thought that athletes have such extreme diets. Now it explains a lot - how Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson looked like normal girls in a matter of months after the Olympics.

They also went from training 30 hours a week to 0 hours a week and started eating unhealthy-- restaurant meals all the time and whatever food they could grab on the road. It wasn't a healthy lifestyle. If Shawn and Nastia had maintained a healthy, well-balanced diet and a consistent exercise plan after the Olympics, they could have stayed in better shape.

This is also the best way to keep puberty from happening. I don't know how long Kim has been on this diet, but if her former Korean coach is talking about it, I guess not just since last year. It explains a lot.

I could understand wanting to delay puberty, but eventually your body is going to do what it's going to do. Yu-Na is 19 now? She has almost certainly already reached her full adult height and she'll probably always be a rather petite woman. I don't see the point in torturing herself with an extreme diet, and hope this is just a misunderstanding and she actually has a healthy diet.

Last edited:

turtle

On the Ice
Yu-Na won't even eat meat? That seems way too overboard.

I could understand wanting to delay puberty, but eventually your body is going to do what it's going to do. Yu-Na is 19 now? She has almost certainly already reached her full adult height and she'll probably always be a rather petite woman. I don't see the point in torturing herself with an extreme diet, and hope this is just a misunderstanding and she actually has a healthy diet.

Wait. I didn't want to get into this discussion about Yuna's restrictive diet, but your post made my jaw drop. I haven't read every single post on this thread but I thought that people are making all these disapproving comments about her diet based on this little information that she has a calorie restrictive diet. Why are some of us jumping into conclusions or making unsupported claims as if we had been waiting for an opportunity to bash her?

I don't know if she eats meat or not, but not eating meat makes someone go overboard...with what? Many people go vegetarian because they want a healthier lifestyle.
Also, who said that she's on diet to delay puberty? Aren't many athletes on diet while maintaining a healthy body? Who is to say that she is torturing herself? Many people watch what they eat. I myself don't drink soda, don't eat snacks, don't eat fatty foods, and I've never felt that I am torturing myself. If I have occasional cravings for something sweet, I treat myself then but I don't crave for that all the time. I guess some people 'have to' believe that all the slim beautiful women are torturing themselves by not eating chocolates and burgers every day.:disapp:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
As I recall, Nastia and Shawn were lean, but they were muscular. If you look at the American and Canadian skaters, they are slim, but also muscular. Joannie and Ashley actually have biceps! Yu-Na is so thin it scares me.

Last edited:
Isn't Andre Lutai using a N.American choreographer. That may be what he needs. I do like his skating in general. Is there a 2009 bio on him?

Medusa

Record Breaker
turtle said:
I guess some people 'have to' believe that all the slim beautiful women are torturing themselves by not eating chocolates and burgers every day.
That's simply insulting and patronising.

Isn't Andre Lutai using a N.American choreographer. That may be what he needs. I do like his skating in general. Is there a 2009 bio on him?
He used Tom Dickson last year, and I think it showed in his programs. But what I saw from the Mishin summer training camp didn't look too promising. He really must have been out of form at the beginning of the season, since they reduced his GPs to one (he was Top Ten at Worlds!).

I can't find any information about his new programs, his ISU bio hasn't been updated yet. The Russian wiki also doesn't offer additional information.

prettykeys

Medalist
As I recall, Nastia and Shawn were lean, but they were muscular. If you look at the American and Canadian skaters, they are slim, but also muscular. Joannie and Ashley actually have biceps! Yu-Na is so thin it scares me.
This is your idea of "muscular"? http://gymblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/nastia-in-hollywood.jpg

http://kthanxbye.files.wordpress.co...6552226-getty-82474448mc001_nastia_liukin.jpg

While I agree that YuNa is thin, Joannie is the only one who has noticeably defined biceps.

Ashley Wagner, 2008 NHK: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Wagner_2008NHK_by_Carmichael.jpg

YuNa
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/afpji/20091016/newsmlmmd.a326e99c4198273dfe30e42b32895a46.2210b.jpg

prettykeys

Medalist
I'm not familiar with the eating habits of Koreans, so maybe Yu-Na's diet isn't as crazy as we are imagining. But when I see a skater like Caroline Zhang maintain a slender figure while eating anything and everything (including cakes, french toast, pizza, ice cream, etc), I wonder why any skater would torture themselves with such an extreme diet. Isn't it better just to eat healthy and sensibly? I'm not saying eat a bunch of sweets like Caroline seems to do-- that's not good for anyone-- but eating everything in moderation sounds a lot better than extreme dieting. If anything, an extreme diet probably zaps you of the energy and strength you would need for high-level training. And it wrecks your metabolism so that when you do start eating normally, your body can't handle it. When you are training 20-30 hours a week and burning off a ton of calories, an extreme diet doesn't seem necessary. Yu-Na won't even eat meat? That seems way too overboard.
While I do believe YuNa could stand to gain some body fat (and has room to eat a little more), her diet isn't "extreme" (it's restricted.) Clearly, she isn't zapped for energy when she competes or otherwise.

On the other hand, why do you think people who regularly overeat are often more tired than not?

Caloric counting is outdated and overly simplistic (the converse is also true--caloric counting is one of the weakest methods to build a diet for the purpose of losing weight.)