Skate America: Predictions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skate America: Predictions

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men:
1. Evan LYSACEK (USA)
2. Tomas VERNER (CZE) (I would love and hope for Tomas to win!:love::rock:)
3. Brandon MROZ (USA)

Ladies:
1. KIM Yu Na (KOR) (could potentially win by 45-50 points over everyone else at this event.)
2. Rachael FLATT (USA)
3. Susanna POYKIO (FIN)

Pairs:
1. SHEN Xue/ ZHAO Hongbo (CHN)
2. ZHANG Dan/ ZHANG Hao (CHN)
3. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR/ Stanislav MOROZOV (UKR)

Ice Dance:
1. Tanith BELBIN/ Benjamin AGOSTO (USA)
2. Jana KHOKHLOVA/ Sergei NOVITSKI (RUS)
3. Anna CAPPELLINI/ Luca LANOTTE (ITA)

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
It's WELL KNOWN to them. Why don't you at least google it first before claiming that it isn't true?

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2009/10/21/2009102100218.html
Thanks for the link. I love it when people can back up what they claim.

Well, after reading the article, I am quite sure that she will retire after Vancouver - because, honestly, who wants to continue with such a miserable diet after having won the biggest prices this sport has to offer?

And there is no way, by the way, that this is healthy. Of course doctors are supervising it, but that doesn't mean it's healthy, doctors supervise lots of stupid things.

I never thought that athletes have such extreme diets. Now it explains a lot - how Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson looked like normal girls in a matter of months after the Olympics. Or even how Sasha Cohen suddenly developed curves.

This is also the best way to keep puberty from happening. I don't know how long Kim has been on this diet, but if her former Korean coach is talking about it, I guess not just since last year. It explains a lot.

sjwh08

Rinkside
A former coach who taught her when she's like 10 years old knows what's Yuna's current calories intake? :laugh:

sjwh08

Rinkside
Anyway, on this SA's prediction thread, we've spent 2 pages talking about Yuna's nutrition.
Funny and sad at same time..... ;)

figurejennah

On the Ice
Oh is this SA prediction thread? I forgot. I thought this is 'YuNa diet' thread.

:rofl:

Well, after reading the article, I am quite sure that she will retire after Vancouver - because, honestly, who wants to continue with such a miserable diet after having won the biggest prices this sport has to offer?

And there is no way, by the way, that this is healthy. Of course doctors are supervising it, but that doesn't mean it's healthy, doctors supervise lots of stupid things.

This is also the best way to keep puberty from happening. I don't know how long Kim has been on this diet, but if her former Korean coach is talking about it, I guess not just since last year. It explains a lot.

Well, but figure skating is not the only sport that requires extreme diet. Ballet, for example, also requires extreme dieting and weight control. (And Ballet is also extremely physically challenging). Yes, Ballet is not a sport, but since people call figure skating, "ballet on ice," I suppose we can compare these two. Also, think about gymnastics...

It seems that people all of sudden accuse yuna of having some kind of "eating disorder," with her "unhealthy" diet. Hmmm.... However, it is inevitable that skaters control their weight to maintain their jumps. Even plushenko during his interview at COR said he lost "10 kgs"-- 22 pounds to come back to the competition. Mao, too, keeps her weight under control. I saw an interview of her while she was having lunch with a female reporter, and she said she strictly follows a well balanced low calory meal plan.

Besides, I don't think Orser or Wilson would let Yuna be unhealthy... they are magnificent caring professionals who would never let that happen to this brilliant young lady. Not to mention how healthy she looks these days
compared to her earlier days ...

Lark ascending

http://img173.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-29906/loc334/55525_ACT_YNK_WC07LP_5_122_334lo.jpg

Gershwin

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/media/ALeqM5jgOaveYNHeftKL1Mfa2krKAbKBTg?size=l

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Also, it seems that people all of sudden accuse yuna of having some kind of "eating disorder," with her "unhealthy" diet.
Nobody said anything about an eating disorder. Unhealthy diet doesn't equal eating disorder. Loads of people, the majority of people, do unhealthy stuff - but only a few rare things qualify as a disorder.

I wasn't questioning Kim specifically, but that kind of extreme dieting, for what reason it may seem to be needed, in general.

newvie

Rinkside

Shin Hye-sook was Yuna's coach when she was in elementary school. I guess she's intaking more calories now than back then (not much more, though). Just a guess - I have no proof ;)

Also, I think there are some body types that require less basic calories... esp asians. They are naturally small/thin and tend to eat less.. My observation. I have no scientific proof for this, either :biggrin:

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Shin Hye-sook was Yuna's coach when she was in elementary school. I guess she's intaking more calories now than back then (not much more, though). Just a guess - I have no proof ;)

Also, I think there are some body types that require less basic calories... esp asians. They are naturally small/thin and tend to eat less.. My observation. I have no scientific proof for this, either :biggrin:

hmm, should I ask her mom at SA? lol

french quarter

Rinkside
Thanks for the back up. By the way, I doubt it is WELL KNOWN because when I asked them on the Korean forum, even they didn't know about this.

I don't want to spend my time on this anymore, but I learned that in a forum a few months ago before the above article was written, which was written this October. Even I, who started watching and reading figure skating stuff just last March, knew that. Her calorie intake and diet thing had been posted on blogs and forums.

BTW, you can ask her mom at SA because she must have a correct answer.

Last edited:

figurejennah

On the Ice
Nobody said anything about an eating disorder. Unhealthy diet doesn't equal eating disorder. Loads of people, the majority of people, do unhealthy stuff - but only a few rare things qualify as a disorder.

I wasn't questioning Kim specifically, but that kind of extreme dieting, for what reason it may seem to be needed, in general.

I guess I should have quoted others, too. :) All of sudden, people were saying "oh yuna please eat," or "that is so unhealthy." To me it sounded like people would consider her diet plan to be extremely problematic. I just wanted to say that most of the other skaters I believe stay on very strict diet as well. Yes, it is kinda sad because both yuna and mao are extremely skinny... and yuna loves eating bread, and mao loves meat... but they do look beautiful on the ice...

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Ladies:
1. KIM Yu Na (KOR) (could potentially win by 45-50 points over everyone else at this event.)

The best prediction yet :biggrin: At this point if Yuna doesn't win by setting another world record does it amount to a disappointing event for her?

prettykeys

Medalist
Sorry guys, I'm changing my predictions now that Sasha pulled out and has a replacement.

1) Emily Hughes
2) YuNa Kim
3) Alexe Gilles

prettykeys

Medalist
teeheeheehee. ;)

OK, I take back my statement about YuNa eat-eat. It is possible she does not need to. It's also true as many others have pointed out, that she looks very vibrant, healthy, and happy.

That is a cute way of putting it. :biggrin:

I am going to be completely honest. It is quite possible that YuNa is actually getting just the right amount of calories. Her diet actually looks very well-balanced, and many Koreans would enjoy a diet like that. I thought she would be on a protein-based diet, but she is eating rice and soup. TRUST me this is more tasty than it sounds! Koreans eat rice and soup almost daily. Red fruits, legumes, protein-rich vegetables and fish--quite healthful, actually. I only feel a little sorry that she isn't eating her beloved bread/cakes. :laugh:

Without extra calories and "junk" in the diet, her body can actually become a lot more efficient without its resources being taxed. To be honest, the only things questionable to me are the tofu and soymilk.

RDA guidelines for "caloric intake recommendations" are complete garbage and based on what "average healthy populations eat". It does not dictate what is ideal, or necessary.

A 40-30-30 (carb/protein/fat) diet based first on protein requirements is actually considered a good diet with moderate rate of body fat loss in some academic circles. YuNa is getting more than this. Considering she's around 43kg, and that this diet recommends from 1-1.5g of protein per kg, let's say she's getting 50g of protein a day. 50g x 4kcal = 200 kcal from protein. Then 200 kcal from fat (hmm she's probably not eating enough fat, I guess she's getting more carbs from the rice and fruits.) About 270kcal from carbs. That adds up to 670 kcal/day on the 4-3-3. YuNa is getting almost twice that. She could use a little bit more fat in her diet. But she does look healthy, if a little on the skinny side.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I thought she would be on a protein-based diet, but she is eating rice and soup. TRUST me this is more tasty than it sounds! Koreans eat rice and soup almost daily.
I lived with a Chinese family for a few weeks - I know how rice and soup taste for breakfast. After some time you can get used to it quite easily, though I am a sucker for German bread, with curd cheese and jam.

That 1200 calories / day are healthy for a young active woman is complete bollocks. I can refer you to numerous studies that prove that.

We shouldn't start talking about "disorders" every time we read something like that - but I don't see any reason to glorify something that looks like an extremely strict diet, that produces a negative energy balance everyday.