Skate America: Predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate America: Predictions

steyn

On the Ice
As for Yu-Na, it would be more interesting to predict her score or how many mistakes she will make.

My prediction: Below 200 and two mistakes (one mistake each) because I am always a pessimist.

french quarter

Rinkside
As for Yu-Na, it would be more interesting to predict her score or how many mistakes she will make.

My prediction: Below 200 and two mistakes (one mistake each) because I am always a pessimist.

Her score will be somewhere between 203 ~ 218.

jennylovskt

Medalist
In Men, this seems to be designed for Lysacek to win. It doesn't have the strong Japanese contenders who were the barriers for him the last a few years. Verner is definitely capable of beating Lysacek, but historically, he has never done it. So I will go with the most of the people here:

1. Lysacek
2. Verner
3. Mroz

merrybari

Final Flight
In Men, this seems to be designed for Lysacek to win. It doesn't have the strong Japanese contenders who were the barriers for him the last a few years. Verner is definitely capable of beating Lysacek, but historically, he has never done it. So I will go with the most of the people here:

1. Lysacek
2. Verner
3. Mroz

IIRC - Verner came in ahead of Evan at the 2007 Worlds as the one time he has. That said, I think Evan's time has come.

Tango_D_R

Rinkside
I actually want her to save some energy for gpf and olympics.

so I'm fine with somewhere between 190-200.

other top ladies have to skate their *** off to score in that range.
but for Yuna it's saving energy.. haha..:biggrin:

and as for Sasha, you guys have to consider the fact that today's COP is not the same one from the Sasha days. e < frightening isn't it...

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Is there anybody who thinks that Kim won't win this? Or shall I make it more realistic and ask who think she will win by fewer than 15 points?

Looking at recent pictures and videos of Yu-Na, I will say if that girl doesn't EAT something soon, she could get too sick to skate. :eek:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I heard she doesn't eat more than 1,200 kcal a day during a season.

I think that as long as Yu-na is getting nutritional advice (and I hear she does things like it certain fruits/ lots of fish etc) 1200 day is okay, its what some women use when they are on a diet. Less than that would be more scary.

french quarter

Rinkside
I think that as long as Yu-na is getting nutritional advice (and I hear she does things like it certain fruits/ lots of fish etc) 1200 day is okay, its what some women use when they are on a diet. Less than that would be more scary.

I like slim girls.:rolleye:

kandidy

Final Flight
Noooo!!! Eat, YuNa, eat!

I used to hear that Yuna does not eat snack at all during competition season.

I thought she looked less skinny and her proportion started to be a woman in this past 2 years. Look at her body during 2006-2008, I

still remember the satorare guy who was banded from this board used to call her popeye's sweetheart.

She turned into refine beautiful lady in this season.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Ladies:

1. Ummmm. oh, I know. Kim!
2. Cohen (She WILL show up. She WILL put it together. I DO believe in fairies, I DO I DO.)
3. Flatt ... but really there are plenty of ladies who could also medal .. Fumie, Julia, even Alexe. this is a tough one.

Men:
1. Lycasek:love:
2. Verner
3. Bradley. (There has be SOME moment when he holds it together. Why not this time? And he DOES have a quad...)

ilunga1965

Rinkside
Noooo!!! Eat, YuNa, eat!

Don't worry, she's O.K.

I also heard that she's very cautious not to gain weight during the season, which affects the quality of her jumping. But she loves bread and ice-cream, and appeared as an model of bakery shop here, in Koea.

Actually some Yuna fans worried about her height instead...Her father is over 6 feet and very very slim while her mother is short. In one interview his father mentioned Yuna was very good at controlling her eating and her mind even when she was a kid.

Rhyme

Rinkside
Men
1. Tomas
2. Evan
3. Ryan

Ladies
1. YU-NA!!
2. Rachael
3. Elene

Pairs
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Zhang/Zhang

Dance
1. Belbin/Agosto

Buttercup

Record Breaker
1200 kcal is NOT okay for an elite athlete who spends hours in training every day burning off energy. I sincerely hope this report is not true. And I must say that Yu-Na seems pretty well-adjusted and has such a good team around her, so I can't imagine they're being irresponsible about this.

chloepoco

Medalist
I heard she doesn't eat more than 1,200 kcal a day during a season.

I certainly hope this is not true. An athlete of her caliber, who trains as hard as she does, needs way more than 1,200 calories a day!

My niece last year decided to go on a diet, and restricted herself to just over 1,000 calories a day. The result? At 5'4", she ended up at 76 lbs! It was a shock when she came home from college for the summer. After seeing a registered dietitian for about five months now, she's about 100 lbs, still way under her ideal weight.

sjwh08

Rinkside
The fact that we don't see her becoming super skinny in a short period of time means that she's eating enough to get through her training and practice and we should not worry about anything.

It is true that she said she's watching her weight especially during the competition season. I could notice her face becoming rounder during off-seasons especially when she's staying in Korea :laugh:, meaning that she eats more during off-season. Off-seasons must be when she does most of the intense training and practice, so I'm not worried.

By the way, I notice that she's still slim but her thighs are bulkier this season. Must have done some squats.:yes::yes:

Last edited: