Skate America: Predictions | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Skate America: Predictions

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Thanks to the Nadia (I hope it's OK if I post her translation) from yunaforum.com here is more complete translation of that quote from the article:

IBSports: [...] Yuna almost never eats dinner. She eats some cereal. We talk in the evening her time a lot due to the time difference, and she usually says she's hungry. One time I joked "Funny Jjampong" (It's not funny in English, but it's a teasing remark in Korean.) She then said, "I want to eat jjangpong." (jjangpong = spicy noodle dish) But she never eats anything not on her menu. I feel sorry for her at times.

Actually that guy always talks like that (it's not the first time I read "I feel sorry for her" from him), so maybe he is exaggerating, but there may be a reason for her not to eat dinner. She is not that kind of person who will do something unreasonable and I don't think that she is that hard on herself for nothing. She is in a good state of health, her weight is OK and if it goes this way there has to be some reason for that. I think she is one of the strongest skaters right now judging how she looks after her performance. So I think she gets enough food for sure, but maybe her timetable is a bit different or something.

Really nothing bad happens, if there would be some kind of problem, we would notice it. But right now her performances are incredibly good and she looks very happy. From the pictures that I have seen of her, when she is eating something, she eats all kind of food and not a little bit.

So I really think we are worrying about nothing here. Actually, I myself don't have a dinner due to my schedule and nothing happened with me, I just eat more at breakfast and later...

Medusa

Record Breaker
I do have real predictions of course...

Pairs

1. Xue SHEN / Hongbo ZHAO (CHN)
2. Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG (CHN)
3. Keauna MCLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER (USA)
4. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Stanislav MOROZOV (UKR)
5. Meagan DUHAMEL / Craig BUNTIN (CAN)

Men

1. Evan LYSACEK (USA)
2. Tomas VERNER (CZE)
3. Brandon MROZ (USA)
4. Shawn SAWYER (CAN)
5. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN)

Ladies

1. Yu-Na KIM (KOR)
2. Rachael FLATT (USA)
3. Fumie SUGURI (JPN)
4. Alexe GILLES (USA)
5. Susanna PÖYKIÖ (FIN)

Ice dancing

1. Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO (USA)
2. Jana KHOKHLOVA / Sergei NOVITSKI (RUS)
3. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE (ITA)
4. Alexandra ZARETSKI / Roman ZARETSKI (ISR)
5. Kimberly NAVARRO / Brent BOMMENTRE (USA)

bekalc

Record Breaker
I know a lot of people who have their big meal for lunch and something light for dinner.

gourry

Final Flight
I know a lot of people who have their big meal for lunch and something light for dinner.

My Mexican friend told me they do so in Mexico.:yes:

I wonder if Yuna likes Special K...:p(my favorite!! and Raisin Bran-my least favorite...)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
And if you know where to look, you can see our very own Blades of Passion doing a triple Lutz on the ground. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mathman, do tell! :rock:

Actually a Triple Flip. Triple Lutz off-ice is just...awkward. There's no momentum. You can at least sort-of practice the Flip off-ice, though, because of the 3-turn going in. :biggrin:

Hmm, yeah, I should make some videos for the viewing pleasure of the board. I'll see if I can grab a video camera this weekend.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
yu na is awesome! i'm really interested to see who will get third here though (assuming yu na wins by a landslide and rachael gets the silver). i'd say it's a toss up between fumie, alexe, emily (though i haven't seen her skate recently), elene, and maybe susanna although i know little about her skating.

what's the deal with elene though? she's such a great jumper and does 3-3s in most of her competitions but always seems to place low regardless. she has so much potential

Tango_D_R

Rinkside
And if you look a bit further, you' ll bump into this guy, who "skates" Mao's, Miki's, Yu-Na's and Daisuke's programs in his own backyard:

http://www.youtube.com/user/yToTk#p/u

I hope that guy was filming all of those ONLY in his own backyard.. with nobody around.. for his own sake. :laugh:

Had it been my mother witnessing this scene in her backyard, she would totally beat the crap out of that guy with a broomstick and call the police.

Seriously though.. those jumps are unbelievable! :clap:
But please, no spirals.. no spins.. :biggrin:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
OMG, that made me laugh so hard.

Lacking technique on the jumps but his flexibility and balance on the Spiral is actually quite good! Really!

LMAO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
With a 2nd at SA does she have any shot at the Final? I thought she had to win...and that won't happen barring a mid-comp WD by yuna

Trewyn

Medalist
Everyone really thinks Yu Na is unbeatable by Rachael? I'm not sure... I sure hope so; because I'm not ashamed to say I much rather have Ashley in the final than Rachael. Plus; I'm in love with Yu Na's triple-triple which is a thing of beauty.

True, but I'm interested in the whole podium. Rachael has one more opportunity to make the Final here. She's going to be out for blood. :rock:
I did say a silver would give Rachael consideration for the Final. I did not say she would be in the Final.

There is a lot of iffing to do here. Here's what we know:

Miki is IN the Final at 30

Mao and Yukari are at 20 , not certain yet.

Leonova and Wagner at 24, possible

YuNa is at 15

Suzuki is at 15

Joannie is at 11

Czisny is at 9

Flatt is at 9

Zhang is at 9

My IF would be
Ando
YuNa
Suzuki
Leonova
Wagner and ???

Rachael to be considered as well as Czisny and Zhang if they get Silver and will be tied and also eliminate Mao and Yukari. If they get bronz they will tie with Mao and Yukari and It will be the greatest tie-breaker of all time.

Anyone see it different, let me know. I'm not perfect.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Everyone really thinks Yu Na is unbeatable by Rachael? I'm not sure... I sure hope so; because I'm not ashamed to say I much rather have Ashley in the final than Rachael. Plus; I'm in love with Yu Na's triple-triple which is a thing of beauty.

Rachael can't beat Yu-na. But Yu-na can certainly beat herself, and Rachael can take advantage.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Joesitz, that sounds right. However, I feel the competition is going to be a lot more stiff for caroline and alissa at SC, there are going to be a lot of good skaters there and Caroline is not a judges favorite and Alissa will need to keep it together. And that is for either one of them to win silver, as we can assume Joannie will win gold. Rachael on the other hand doesn't have much competition in SA (besdies Yu Na). It would be a big upset if Fumie or Emily or Alexe or even someone else beat her out for the silver. She's so good under pressure that I don't see this happening, plus I don't think anyone else besides Yu Na has planned 3-3s in their programs except her (and possibly Elene, but she always seem to have trouble in the LP). I think if Rachael wins silver then she will most likely go to GPF