Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Skate America: Predictions

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Hmm. I think there is an actual reason why this has gone off-topic. The whole line-up is not really exciting. In every discipline you can pick out the winner.

Ladies - duh.

Men - I still think that this was specially set up for Lysacek, so that he can win SA for the first time in his career. There is 95% probability that he will win this. The only real rival they had to pick was from the 4th-6th at Worlds, and from those they picked Verner, who is the most likely to bomb.

Dance - I managed to predict every dance podium right so far this season. Which has nothing to do with luck or skill (I know nothing about dance), but with the horrific predictability of every dance event.

Pairs - even if the Shen/Zhao have a mistake here or there, they are not going to lose this competition.
    Totally agree with this especially the Evan part.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Hmm. I think there is an actual reason why this has gone off-topic. The whole line-up is not really exciting. In every discipline you can pick out the winner.

Ladies - duh.

Men - I still think that this was specially set up for Lysacek, so that he can win SA for the first time in his career. There is 95% probability that he will win this. The only real rival they had to pick was from the 4th-6th at Worlds, and from those they picked Verner, who is the most likely to bomb.

Dance - I managed to predict every dance podium right so far this season. Which has nothing to do with luck or skill (I know nothing about dance), but with the horrific predictability of every dance event.

Pairs - even if the Shen/Zhao have a mistake here or there, they are not going to lose this competition.
    Well, if it's that predictable, let's not have the event. Let's just ship the winners their medals Federal Express. None of you have ever been surprised at the result of a competition?

Custom Title
    Personally, I'm a bit past predicting things this season. This season, so far, has been anything but predictable (except dance of course).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Well, if it's that predictable, let's not have the event. Let's just ship the winners their medals Federal Express. None of you have ever been surprised at the result of a competition?

As Medusa loves to say, how patronizing! to the skaters. I'm pretty sure they're not thinking, "Why should I show up if Evan/Yu-Na/Xue & Hongbo/Tanith & Ben are going to win?"

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    As Medusa loves to say, how patronizing! to the skaters. I'm pretty sure they're not thinking, "Why should I show up if Evan/Yu-Na/Xue & Hongbo/Tanith & Ben are going to win?"
    I'm sure the other women skaters ARE thinking they'll have a hard time beating Yu-na ... How can they not be?
    On the otherhand, Evan is beatable. Mroz beat him at nationals and he's not even considered Evan's top competition here. Obviously, Evan has the edge coming in as world champion. But I still think he will have to bring his a-game.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    Personally, I'm a bit past predicting things this season. This season, so far, has been anything but predictable (except dance of course).
    Did you really think that Mao would place 5th at Cup of Russia?

ETA : How about S/S 3rd at TEB, Ladies standings in COC..
    If you really predicted those unlikely results I would be scared a litte bit
    Last edited by Tango_D_R; 11-11-2009 at 11:40 PM.

tango, that's what they meant by it being anything BUT predictable

Tripping on the Podium
    ^
    Oh.. I took it literally
    My bad, thanks for pointing out

On cloud nine and refusing to come down!
    Well it always looks predictable on paper ...

Until competition itself.

So far, I'd say only dance is rather predictable. Ladies has been totally topsy turvy. Pairs has gone to form except at TEB so far. Men's had some shocking results as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    How often do I agree with medusa?
    But I think she was making a fair point. I agree with her predishions and honestly I am more interested to see Skate Canada which for me has a more interesting lineup of skaters.

Custom Title
    Ladies: mmm let me think. lol

Men: It will be a toss up between Lysacek and Verner. Lysacek has problem with fullying rotating some of his jumps, esp. 3A. If he get UR call, there goes the 8 points. Verner usually started strong, but tend to pop on jumps later in the program, or at least double one jump. But Lysacek being the reigning WC and skating at home, he does have an advantage over Verner. Like it or not, fans do influence the judging some what.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I think Evan is the most maligned skater on this Board, and he is a World Champion. He's won over everyone in his career save Plush and Stephane.
    Evan actually beat Stephane by one placement at Cup of China in 2007 where Lambiel sadly had perhaps arguably the worst competition of his entire senior career, post-2002 anyway.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Amd if you know where to look, you can see our very own Blades of Passion doing a triple Lutz on the ground.
    Mathman, do tell!

Custom Title
    Sorry, one more off topic post, but for some reason I care about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Guy View Post
    Sorry for another Yu-Na's diet post.

I've just read an article in Korean (written today) quoting what people around Yu-Na said about her. Koo Dong-Hee, VP of IB Sports (Yu-Na's agency), said, "Yu-Na barely eats dinner for figure skating. She eats cereal a little (for dinner). Because of the time difference, I speak with her on the phone during the night time of Toronto. Whenever I speak with her, she says she is hungry... She never eats more than what's planned. I feel sorry for her."

http://isplus.joins.com/article/arti...ml?aid=1266833

Ugh. I wish someone would advise her to eat vegetables, some sort of protein, fruit, etc, for dinner (or whatever type of dinner food is typical in Korea). High level gymnasts eat these sort of things for dinner, so I'm not just pulling this out of the sky. There is zero reason why an in-shape figure skater training every day would need to starve themselves. In fact, it sounds like a great way to screw up your metabolism, which would make it even more difficult to keep weight off. If I am hungry at night after dinner, I make a small fruit smoothie or something else that's healthy. Why not just eat healthy? I don't understand.

Yu-Na doesn't look malnourished at all, so hopefully, for her sake, these reports are just phony.

Custom Title
    Many ballet dancers eat sparingly (much like Yu-Na) and what often happens is early-onset osteoporosis. Their bones become weak and brittle and are prone to injury.

I believe Yu-Na has chronic back problems, and such a sub-nutritional diet can't be good for her.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast