Head of JSF "convinced that Asada is fine" | Golden Skate

Head of JSF "convinced that Asada is fine"

Bennett

Record Breaker
The head of JSF, a former Olympian and speed skater, met Mao. Mao was positive and knew what she should address so that the head of JSF felt that way.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20091108-00000016-spnavi-spo
I also read elsewhere that they may send Mao to 4CC so that she could get more experience before the Olympics.

ETA
"Mao herself does not think it as bad as others make a fuss. She analyzes what goes wrong (about her skating). She is very positive and I am convinced that she is fine." Ms. Hashimoto talked to her about the frame of mind going to the Olympics and Mao asked questions about foods and conditioning. http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=spo_30&k=2009110800075

Last edited:

kandidy

Final Flight
I thought they r gonna send the athlete who could not go to olympic to 4 cc.
Anyway, glad that JFS thinks Mao is fine and support her.

Bennett

Record Breaker
As expected, a former speed skater, Ms. Hashimoto, and Mao had only general discussions.

Mao rarely fails to be positive. She never complains or says anything miserable, which by itself admirable, and I do feel glad that she does not appear to be depressed.

But the problem here is that they had no discussions about more substantial, strategic issues, which Ms. Hashimoto as a former speed skater is not capable of. I wish they had brought FS experts, such as Shizuka and Machiko Yamada etc, whom Mao trust, as well as the coach TAT to attend this conference.

I wonder how reasonable the three 3As programs TAT and FS experts in JSF really think. Nobody seems to be taking responsibility but Mao herself who is determined to "always" have a "100% success rate." But she has not been a consistent skater for years. It is not that a determined mind and positive spirit can solve everything.

Regarding the "positive" attitude as well, dealing with pressures at competitions is another story. Mao was saying positive things even when going into COR. I hear that she has a sport psychologist. But I still wonder if she is really getting enough support to deal with pressures and anxiety, spending most of the time coachless.

Yet, a good thing is that Ms. Hashimoto's talk may help address the depressed mood in the media reports. I hope that this talk was helpful at least in such a way.

The most diplomatic way to go may be that they leave it there as it is and then provide more substantial advice and support privately when needed.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hmm. She very well may be, but I'd still take the emphasis off of the 3As- do a 3-3 in the short, and only 1 3A in the long along with 2 3-3's (wasn't that what won her the WC a couple years ago?). She can do that.

If Kim proves to be vulnerable next week that's DEFINITELY the way to go.

prettykeys

Medalist
Mao rarely fails to be positive. She never complains or says anything miserable, which by itself admirable, and I do feel glad that she does not appear to be depressed.
I agree with this description of Mao; do you think such a girl would tell Hashimoto of her difficulties? I think Mao would be hesitant to.

I say this because well, as critical I can be ;), I am also not the complaining or whining type...and not telling anyone sometimes made things worse. e.g. people couldn't offer to help me; or (in the case of my mother regarding my brother :scowl:) they'd take advantage of my "easy-going" manner and put more chores on my shoulders. That sort of thing. *bitter*

Mao may be having difficulties she cannot admit to, or want to talk about, in a determined way to take it all upon herself to fix. I wonder...

SusieH

On the Ice
If Kim proves to be vulnerable next week that's DEFINITELY the way to go.

I hope not, not only because I'm her fan, but also because the women's field is already as dismal as it can be.

So, that brings us back to the current topic. :) Mao-chan, please come back strong! SOS! We need you! :clap:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I agree with this description of Mao; do you think such a girl would tell Hashimoto of her difficulties? I think Mao would be hesitant to.

I say this because well, as critical I can be ;), I am also not the complaining or whining type...and not telling anyone sometimes made things worse. e.g. people couldn't offer to help me; or (in the case of my mother regarding my brother :scowl:) they'd take advantage of my "easy-going" manner and put more chores on my shoulders. That sort of thing. *bitter*

Mao may be having difficulties she cannot admit to, or want to talk about, in a determined way to take it all upon herself to fix. I wonder...

I read her sister Mai's account before. According to Mai, Mao does not complain or whine even to her family.

Although Mao always appears mellow, innocent, and happy in interviews, her competition showings also seem to sugggest that she may be delicate inside. While some people may verbalize their innermost feelings (e.g., Miki), Mao may be introverted.

Yet, Mao seems such a strong young woman to choose to work by herself back home (she just has an assistant coach), rather than staying in Russia to work with her coach fulltime.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Although Mao always appears mellow, innocent, and happy in interviews, her competition showings also seem to sugggest that she may be delicate inside. While some people may verbalize their innermost feelings (e.g., Miki), Mao may be introverted.

Yet, Mao seems such a strong young woman to choose to work by herself back home (she just has an assistant coach), rather than staying in Russia to work with her coach fulltime.

Yes, she is very admirable in her strong character, she always seems to strong and confident until she takes the ice for the competition and then sometimes it looks like she would rather bury herself in Terosova's fur coat. The japanese medis dosen't help, as well all know.

hurrah

Medalist
I think there have been many times in the past when the Japanese media overhyped an athlete's career, but it seems to me that Mao has not gotten unreasonable/skewed press for her recent problems, except maybe from Jack Gallagher who works for Japan Times, an English newspaper that is distributed mostly in Japan.

I also think that Hashimoto Seiko, who has participated in the Olympics seven times, five times as a speed skater and twice as a track cyclist before becoming a Diet member (House of Councillors), a position she has now held for three terms, is very capable of giving advice to Mao.

What a stalwart soul Mao is. This is just one more reason I like her and want her to do her very best. In the best of all possible worlds, it would be so great if she and YuNa could finish one-two, or two-one--I'd be happy with either order.

But I have to say, her statements to her Federation disturb me. Today they showed Brian Joubert on NHK and talked about his preparation for the Olympics. He's having Denkova and Staviskiy coach him (I didn't get in what; maybe choreographic flow?), and Lucinda Ruh coach him in spins. Remember that at one point he worked with Browning on footwork. Why isn't Asada getting the benefit of the expertise that's out there? Her own willpower just won't be enough. Remember Kwan in 2002? Some people said (on this very site) that if she'd only still had Carroll watching her jumps like a hawk in practice, she might have been more technically sure on the big night in SLC.

prettykeys

Medalist
If I were a parent (say, Mao's mother), I would let her do things her way and just try to support her any way I could. Suggestions are nice to offer, but at this point, I think the best thing Mao fans and supporters can do is wait and watch.

I think the worst thing anyone could do is give an athlete the sense that they are not in control. This includes pressure. :( If it turns out that what Mao is choosing hasn't been the best for her, she can change. Ultimately, it should be for her to decide, and for everyone else to respect her decisions.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I also think that Hashimoto Seiko, who has participated in the Olympics seven times, five times as a speed skater and twice as a track cyclist before becoming a Diet member (House of Councillors), a position she has now held for three terms, is very capable of giving advice to Mao.

I just read elsewhere that Ms. hashimoto not only had one meeting with Mao, but also exchanged email addresses and cell phone numbers with Mao, Miki, and Yukari who were practicing at the same rink which she visited. She says that she would like to be an emotional support source for Mao.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20091109-00000005-sanspo-spo
If her involvement is really going to be continuous, rather than a one-shot meeting, despite her busy schedule, it indeed may be of great help for Mao.

Last edited:

*Sniper*

On the Ice
So I get the impression that they will be sending Mao to the Olympics no matter what, seeing as they want her to compete in 4CC in case she needs more prep.

Yeah, it would be a shock if she wasn't picked, even if she screws up at J.Nationals.

mireillebellau

Spectator
As expected, a former speed skater, Ms. Hashimoto, and Mao had only general discussions.

Hey Bennet, ITA about how you described Asada. However, I am a bit more worried than I'm glad about her positive attitude. I believe one should go through ups and downs of feelings to be truly matured. Asada seems to be a naturally happy skater and it makes her joyful to watch, but doesn't mean she should always be happy, you know. Sometimes I wish she was more honest with her feelings. (you could tell by the look of her face before competition at TEB/COR that she was so not happy at the moment) I hope she realizes that nobody is forcing her to be happy.

Back in 2005, there were many threads in Kwan's forum about Asada and Kim's attitude/personality on ice. Many ppl said Kim looked miserable and unhappy whereas Asada seemed to be enjoying every bit of the music. The first thing that Brian Orser and David Wilson did for Kim when Kim settled in Toronto was to make her laugh. I remember in one interview Orser said that he let Kim express her feelings even during the practice- when Kim was frustrated during the practice, Orser said that he let her cry on the ice. I think just pouring down her frustrations and stress on the ice helped Kim pull herself together and learn to enjoy skating.

I see Asada as a cocoon (and she is not so young anymore:yes:), ready to turn into a beautiful butterfly anytime. But for her to do that she has to recognize the changes within herself- cry, weep, become frustrated, be angry or do whatever but smiling and saying everything is ok! she cannot neglect all those negative emotions forever. Because there is no such thing as "perfect happiness" that lasts forever.
Oh well. I wish her the best luck at japanese national and desperately hope to see her at Olympics.

janetfan

Match Penalty
If the head of the JSF thinks Mao is doing fine then I hope to never hear her say that Mao is doing badly.

Can you imagine how far she would have to fall to hear such words? ;)

Please, we are seeing a great example of how to mis-manage a skater's career.

I think the message to Mao should have been more like," If you don't get yourself a very good full-time coach there will be no favors shown to you at Natls. Come in 4th and you stay home.

I think such a message would have given Mao alot to consider. :yes:

antmanb

Record Breaker
If the head of the JSF thinks Mao is doing fine then I hope to never hear her say that Mao is doing badly.

Can you imagine how far she would have to fall to hear such words? ;)

Please, we are seeing a great example of how to mis-manage a skater's career.

I think the message to Mao should have been more like," If you don't get yourself a very good full-time coach there will be no favors shown to you at Natls. Come in 4th and you stay home.

I think such a message would have given Mao alot to consider. :yes:

:rolleye: Well i'm just thankful that the JSF appears to be nothing like Piseev who would do something like you suggest!

Ultimately everyone has an opinion on what should happen (me included ;)) but no-one bar Mao, TAT and people at the JSF actually know what is going on with Mao, her training and any reasons for her disappointing GP series.

Why would the JSF add more perssure and kick her when she's down, when she has been such a force in the past. Dropping athletes when they don't do what you tell them to, or meet your unrealistic expectations is something Piseev has been very good at, simultaneously ruining Russia's figure skating programme in the process.

Nurture your athletes and help them through the hard times, don't kick them when they're down.

Ant

janetfan

Match Penalty
:rolleye: Well i'm just thankful that the JSF appears to be nothing like Piseev who would do something like you suggest!

Ultimately everyone has an opinion on what should happen (me included ;)) but no-one bar Mao, TAT and people at the JSF actually know what is going on with Mao, her training and any reasons for her disappointing GP series.

Why would the JSF add more perssure and kick her when she's down, when she has been such a force in the past. Dropping athletes when they don't do what you tell them to, or meet your unrealistic expectations is something Piseev has been very good at, simultaneously ruining Russia's figure skating programme in the process.

Nurture your athletes and help them through the hard times, don't kick them when they're down.

Ant

Good points - but I wonder if suggesting to an athlete that they will not be shown favoritism is either so harsh not to mention realistic. and totally FAIR.

And what about Akiko and Yukari? Are you suggesting it is fine to sacrifice one of them to keep Mao cheerful? Talk about ruining someone.........

iceminx

On the Ice
re

I'm anxious to see how Mao skates at Nationals. I want her on that Olympic podium with Yuna!:yes: