Which skater's live performance would you like to see the most? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which skater's live performance would you like to see the most?

evangeline

Record Breaker
Stephane Lambiel's Flamenco LP at 2007 Worlds or 2008 Euros.

Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze's Lady Caliph SP at 2002 Olympics.

Alexei Yagudin's Revolutionary Etude SP at 2001 Worlds.

Michelle Kwan's Rachmaninoff SP at 1998 US Nationals.

Mishkutenok/Dmitriev's Rachmaninoff LP at 1994 Olympics.

Alexander Abt's Rachmaninoff LP at 2002 Euros.

(I think I sense a pattern here....)

I have to see one Kwan and one Kurt. For me, this choice is easy: Michelle's Black Swan from (I think) 2001--probably at Worlds, and I'd love to have been at the studio the day Kurt Browning filmed "Singin' in the Rain" for his TV special. So my two top faves are taken care of.

Then the list grows long and unmanageable. It includes pretty much everything lcd mentions, including Shelley and Starbuck, Janet Lynn, and Robin Cousins. I'd add John Curry and Toller Cranston--let's say the long program at the '76 Olympics--and Paul Wylie's long program at the '92 Olympics. I'll regretfully weed out any number of pairs and ice dance couples (oh, the pain) and represent these disciplines with a pro routine: Gordeyeva and Kulik skating Casi un Bolero for Stars on Ice.

And I'd love to see Mao Asada skate. Even if I see her on an off day, I'll still cheer loudly. I think she's one of the great ones, even if she's in eclipse right now.

Last edited:

dinakt

Rinkside
oh... Anything Yagudin, Browning, G/G, B/S. And Rodnina/ Zaitzev, Curry and Cranston :biggrin: Klimova/ Ponomarenko. I might never stop...
At last worlds I was mightily impressed by Verner live; he projected cat- like jumps and mega- charisma and gave an impression that only his mind, or lack of conditioning, are holding him back from winning non- stop.

At last worlds I was mightily impressed by Verner live; he projected cat- like jumps and mega- charisma and gave an impression that only his mind, or lack of conditioning, are holding him back from winning non- stop.
Ooh, that sounds nice. He's one of the ones I'm most excited about seeing at SA - even more now thanks to your description.

schiele

Final Flight
Ooh, that sounds nice. He's one of the ones I'm most excited about seeing at SA - even more now thanks to your description.
Saw him live at TEB, I was so excited to see him. He was actually quite slow and I was very suprised. But as to the charisma on the ice and performance, he totally rocks! :rock::rock:

deedeelocks

Rinkside
Saw him live at TEB, I was so excited to see him. He was actually quite slow and I was very suprised. But as to the charisma on the ice and performance, he totally rocks! :rock::rock:
He can go faster than he skated at TEB (I saw in Oberstdorf). Even I thought it was slow :laugh: :)

life684

Final Flight
Wow, very much like this list! :agree::agree: You know what, I would love to see all of Anissina/ Peizart's free programmes from 99 to 02. That Circus programme of Yags was 1999 I think, the first year he switched to Tarasova. I'd also like to add Plushenko 2003 Qualifying round with Carmen..

Thanks for the information...

Yagudin Sp from 1998-99 season .

How could I have left Yuka Sato off my list? She's one of my favorite skaters of all time, and I imagine that live she's even more amazing.

Someone who is supposedly very impressive live, even just in the warm-up, is Gordeyeva, because she covers the ice so quickly and skates so softly. I mentioned her on my "must-see" list earlier, but not in this regard.

(By live, I presume we all mean close up, not nosebleed seats like the ones I sat in for virtually my only in-person skating experience, where I could look down on the part of everyone's hair and their arms going in and out. In miniature.)

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
The strangest thing is, sometimes, I become a fan watching some of the skaters on my tv/ computer screen. After having been bored to death by them, live.:laugh:

Contemporary skaters I haven't already seen: Patrick, Stephane, Mao.

Earlier skaters: Yagudin (esp. MITM), Ito, Chen Lu, Curry, and Janet Lynn. And how could I leave Uncle Dick off the list? Two OGMs, five WGM, seven USGM (in seniors alone) - he made the top 100 sports feats of all times in a book my hubby grew up with! I'd like to see his '52 OGM skate with the first ever triple loop and an amazing flying sit spin.