Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 67

Thread: Miki Ando may attempt a quad jump at 2009 Grand Prix Final!!

  1. #31
    Custom Title MikiAndoFan#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    I guess this is an attempt to put pressure on Yuna at the GPF and possibly at Vancouver.
    Miki only does the 4S to satisfy herself, not to put pressure on anybody. She has her 4S in a special place in her heart.

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Yuna, Yuna, Yuna

    This sounds like some Federation mind games to me.

    Since "Triple Axle Girl" seems to have taken herself out the equation somebody wants to wave the flag for "Quad Girl."

    Good luck.
    Exactly.

  3. #33
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3
    Miki herself has made no mention of quad after NHK Trophy.
    It's Morozov who just said,"she needs an opportunity to try a quad (before Olympics), though I'm not sure if she's gonna try it at GPF."

  4. #34
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominique View Post
    Miki herself has made no mention of quad after NHK Trophy.
    It's Morozov who just said,"she needs an opportunity to try a quad (before Olympics), though I'm not sure if she's gonna try it at GPF."
    I like Miki and everything I have read about her shows that she is not just a great skater but also a very nice young lady. It is easy to root for Miki and I am happy when she does well at competitons.

    I just thought this talk about bringing her quad back - has it been nine years since she landed it in competition - sounded a little odd.

    If she tries it - I hope she lands it. But I hope she and others don't become obsessed with it. It just makes me think of Mao and how the 3A'a seeed to have effected her skating.
    Go Miki and Go Mao - two wonderful skaters

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    I agree, janetfan. As much as I'd love to see Miki (or anyone, frankly) land the quad, I don't want the quad to become to Miki what the triple axel is to Mao. Miki's not my favourite skater (not by a longshot), but I could see that just wrecking her chance for an Olympic medal.

  6. #36
    Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    615
    I really enjoy Miki's performances and love Miki as an individual. I agree with everyone here that she's very sincere and honest. I would love to see Miki successfully excecute a quad (esp. in Olympic season), but I think the stakes are too high. Like someone mentioned before, Miki is injury-prone, and an injury now would just break her heart and ruin her chances to win OGM.

    Actually, I'm rather torn. I haven't seen any videos of her practicing the quad, so I can't say anything for sure. If, however, she's landing those quads with consistency and not suffering for it (no injuries, no pains), I hope she brings it to the GPF and the Olympic Games. I also hope she has no emotional baggage concerning the Olympics. I heard from a Japanese friend that Miki was treated like Mao by the Japanese media (Mao prior to this season, that is) until she ended up 14th (15th?) in the Olympics. After that, Miki lost all shine for the media and public. She was criticized (a lot) and "dumped." My friend used the word "disowned." I was shocked because Miki is a top skater with stellar jumps and personality. I just can't see why anyone would do that. My friend, who's also into figure skating, also said that one of the reasons Miki avoids the quad is exactly that -- the pain she felt after she was "disowned," the fear that it could happen again (she fell on her quad then). Maybe she shouldn't attempt the quad. We've all seen amazing skaters break apart. It might be emotionally overwhelming for her.

    But I'd just LOVE to see her do that quad and regain her confidence (even after her two GP wins, she was unhappy because her performances couldn't "compete at the world level"). I don't know. I just want to see her happy.
    Last edited by dlgpffps; 11-15-2009 at 01:11 AM.

  7. #37
    Custom Title DragonPhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    I really enjoy Miki's performances and love Miki as an individual. I agree with everyone here that she's very sincere and honest. I would love to see Miki successfully excecute a quad (esp. in Olympic season), but I think the stakes are too high. Like someone mentioned before, Miki is injury-prone, and an injury now would just break her heart and ruin her chances to win OGM.

    Actually, I'm rather torn. I haven't seen any videos of her practicing the quad, so I can't say anything for sure. If, however, she's landing those quads with consistency and not suffering for it (no injuries, no pains), I hope she brings it to the GPF and the Olympic Games. I also hope she has no emotional baggage concerning the Olympics. I heard from a Japanese friend that Miki was treated like Mao by Japanese media (Mao prior to this season, that is) until she ended up 14th (15th?) in the Olympics. After that, Miki lost all shine for the Japanese media. She was criticized (a lot) and "dumped." My friend used the word "disowned." I was shocked because Miki is a top skater with stellar jumps and personality. I just can't see why anyone would do that. My friend, who's also into figure skating, also said that one of reasons Miki avoids the quad is exactly that -- the pain she felt after she was "disowned," the fear that it could happen again. Maybe she shouldn't attempt the quad. We've all seen amazing skaters break apart. It might be emotionally overwhelming for her.

    But I'd just LOVE to see her do that quad and regain her confidence (even after her two GP wins, she was unhappy because her performances couldn't "compete at the world level"). I don't know. I just want to see her happy.

    My feelings are the same

    And about the quad, I'm same too, torn. It's fantastic if she lands it.
    But as you said, the stakes may be too high.
    The key is a clean, no injuries, program, that she's happy with.

  8. #38
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,640
    hmm.. I don't know if this is a good idea or not ... Personally, I'd love to see her land one of course. But her scores in her GP events make me think she shouldn't be thinking so much about challenging Yuna Kim for gold as making sure some come-from-behind skater like Wagner or Akiko doesn't knock her off the Olympic podium altogether.

  9. #39
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,543
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    ...the quad to become to Miki what the triple axel is to Mao. Miki's not my favourite skater (not by a longshot), but I could see that just wrecking her chance for an Olympic medal.
    Didn't she go for it in 2006, with disastrous results?

    If anywhere, the GPF might be the best place to try it. If it causes her to bomb, then I bet she will go conservative at the Olys. Anyway, part of me thinks it simply all hype and game-talk.

    If she wants to maximize her chances at an OGM it would to be solid (like at 2007 worlds) and put the pressure on Rochette and Kim, who could easily falter under Oly pressure, especially if they must skate after a perfect program.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    370
    Hey, if she wants to do it, let her do it. But other than that, I feel nothing special when I think about Miki doing a quad. She's done it before and it's something that she says every season but never actually happens in competition.

    Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk because it's not like the quad will be the element that will allow her to beat Kim or Rochette. But hey, if she can land it consistently, why not, right?

  11. #41
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,640
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Didn't she go for it in 2006, with disastrous results?

    If anywhere, the GPF might be the best place to try it. If it causes her to bomb, then I bet she will go conservative at the Olys. Anyway, part of me thinks it simply all hype and game-talk.

    If she wants to maximize her chances at an OGM it would to be solid (like at 2007 worlds) and put the pressure on Rochette and Kim, who could easily falter under Oly pressure, especially if they must skate after a perfect program.
    Yes. She needs to keep demonstrating that she is a threat with clean programs. And as she has yet to have clean event ... I personally do not think she will go for the quad at the GPF. I certainly hope she doesn't try it only because she is under pressure to do so

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    454
    OK, I'm changing my opinion based on recent events.

    Judging from the fact that Morozov took both Miki and Nobunari to rural northern Japan (Iwate) to train in isolation for 2 weeks, I'm sure he's aiming to have both qualify through the "top Japanese skater on the podium" criterion. Unless Miki's in the top 3 going into the FS and has a considerable lead on the 4th-place finisher, I doubt that Miki will attempt it.

  13. #43
    Lambiel is the best!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    450
    Wow, Miki may attempt a quad?!

    zzz


    Good luck to her nonetheless.

  14. #44
    Dreaming and dancing Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Watching the sunset
    Posts
    2,793
    You know what? she could attempt it at the Olympic Ex!

  15. #45
    End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Didn't she go for it in 2006, with disastrous results?

    If anywhere, the GPF might be the best place to try it. If it causes her to bomb, then I bet she will go conservative at the Olys. Anyway, part of me thinks it simply all hype and game-talk.

    If she wants to maximize her chances at an OGM it would to be solid (like at 2007 worlds) and put the pressure on Rochette and Kim, who could easily falter under Oly pressure, especially if they must skate after a perfect program.
    Well she did it at last year's GPF, only to have it downgraded.
    [url]http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf0809/gpf0809_SeniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf[/url]
    But then again, she had a lot of jumps downgraded throughout that season.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •