Miki Ando may attempt a quad jump at 2009 Grand Prix Final!! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Miki Ando may attempt a quad jump at 2009 Grand Prix Final!!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Didn't she go for it in 2006, with disastrous results?

If anywhere, the GPF might be the best place to try it. If it causes her to bomb, then I bet she will go conservative at the Olys. Anyway, part of me thinks it simply all hype and game-talk.

If she wants to maximize her chances at an OGM it would to be solid (like at 2007 worlds) and put the pressure on Rochette and Kim, who could easily falter under Oly pressure, especially if they must skate after a perfect program.

Yes. She needs to keep demonstrating that she is a threat with clean programs. And as she has yet to have clean event ... I personally do not think she will go for the quad at the GPF. I certainly hope she doesn't try it only because she is under pressure to do so :unsure:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
OK, I'm changing my opinion based on recent events.

Judging from the fact that Morozov took both Miki and Nobunari to rural northern Japan (Iwate) to train in isolation for 2 weeks, I'm sure he's aiming to have both qualify through the "top Japanese skater on the podium" criterion. Unless Miki's in the top 3 going into the FS and has a considerable lead on the 4th-place finisher, I doubt that Miki will attempt it.

schiele

Final Flight
Didn't she go for it in 2006, with disastrous results?

If anywhere, the GPF might be the best place to try it. If it causes her to bomb, then I bet she will go conservative at the Olys. Anyway, part of me thinks it simply all hype and game-talk.

If she wants to maximize her chances at an OGM it would to be solid (like at 2007 worlds) and put the pressure on Rochette and Kim, who could easily falter under Oly pressure, especially if they must skate after a perfect program.

Well she did it at last year's GPF, only to have it downgraded.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf0809/gpf0809_SeniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf
But then again, she had a lot of jumps downgraded throughout that season. :cool:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Morozov talks

In Japanese
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20091126-00000193-yom-spo

It is necessary to have the ability to do difficult jumps. Oda would try his quad and Miki would try her 3-3 and quad at GPF or Nationals."

Zzzzzzz.......

"But to have the ability and to actually do it at a big comp are two different things. After all, Shizuka's (Gold) was not a result of doing her most difficult jump."

Just like nuclear weapons :rolleye:

Last edited:

Rinkside
To be honest, I am not sure whether Miki is able to permofrm quad that would be ratified by the technical panels. Who knows, maybe the quads she was landing when being a junior skater were underrotated too?
But it doesn't matter. Miki should not go for a quadruple jump because she does not need it. She is a wonderful skater without a quad. She won her two the most important medals without a quad - 2007 title, 2009 bronze medal. She won them skating flawlessly and that what she should aim at now too. If she feels bad without triple triple combination, then okay, she can practice it and try it in the competition. But I think that it is time for her to let her quad go. I just feel that by trying it in competition she is destroying her chances for a high placements.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Miki doesn't need the quad....she might not even need the 3-3. I doubt Joannie will do a 3-3 because she's been saying she'll do it all season but hasn't yet. Yu Na will beat her probably even with a clean quad, but Miki has a good shot at 2nd without the 4s, the 3lz-3lo, or the 2a-3t. It's all about the competition. If you forget about Yu Na, who else is she competing against at GPF: Joannie (no 3-3), Akiko (does 2a-3t but often gets downgraded on it, lots of costly edge calls), Alena (no 3-3), Ashley (no 3-3). If Mao and Rachael were at the GPF, then it would be different, but they're not so Miki shouldn't worry about doing a quad. At the same time though, maybe because she knows she has a very good shot at making the podium without her harder combinations and the 4s, then maybe that's why she wants to do it, as one UR 4s should not make or break her if she skates well. I bet she will only try the 4sal if she is trying to climb up after the short...

beep_beep

Medalist
Miki doesn't need the quad....she might not even need the 3-3. I doubt Joannie will do a 3-3 because she's been saying she'll do it all season but hasn't yet. Yu Na will beat her probably even with a clean quad, but Miki has a good shot at 2nd without the 4s, the 3lz-3lo, or the 2a-3t. It's all about the competition. If you forget about Yu Na, who else is she competing against at GPF: Joannie (no 3-3), Akiko (does 2a-3t but often gets downgraded on it, lots of costly edge calls), Alena (no 3-3), Ashley (no 3-3). If Mao and Rachael were at the GPF, then it would be different, but they're not so Miki shouldn't worry about doing a quad. At the same time though, maybe because she knows she has a very good shot at making the podium without her harder combinations and the 4s, then maybe that's why she wants to do it, as one UR 4s should not make or break her if she skates well. I bet she will only try the 4sal if she is trying to climb up after the short...
Not sure the 4S is worth doing... if she gets it right, yes, but if she UR it'll be as good as bad 3S. She could fall, re-injure her shoulder, etc.

At this point, I don't think she should go for it, as said before, she doesn't need it.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
i love miki's big mouth :agree:

Anyways:
Not sure the 4S is worth doing... if she gets it right, yes, but if she UR it'll be as good as bad 3S. She could fall, re-injure her shoulder, etc.

At this point, I don't think she should go for it, as said before, she doesn't need it.

I'm going to repeat myself because it's still relevant. Morozov is clearly set on getting Miki and Nobunari on to the Olympic team through the "highest Japanese skater on the podium at GPF" criterion (why else would he take them to rural Northern Japan to have them train in isolation for the 2 weeks leading up to the event?). Judging from his strategy thus far (both for Miki as well as for Shizuka), it's safe to say that he'll go the safe route.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I wish that she would stop practicing the quad already, I am stunned that she wanted to keep trying it after all the injuries she had with her shoulder . If she going to try it in competition she would have in 2007 at worlds when she was landing beauties in practice. That said I think she does need a 3/3 consisant. You never know what the final flight of ladies will do in Vancouver and if she does not go for one in the short she might not even make the final flight.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
That said I think she does need a 3/3 consisant. You never know what the final flight of ladies will do in Vancouver and if she does not go for one in the short she might not even make the final flight.

Yeah that would be a good idea, and her 3lz-3lo has been looking great in the practice videos.

If you think about it though, Yuna, Rachael, and Carolina are the only real contenders who always attempt 3-3s and consistently get them ratified. And considering that Carolina falls more than anyone, and Rachael might not even be at the Olympics, Miki might not even need to do the 3-3 to make the podium. Mao does not do 3-3s anymore and her 3-2-2 has been looking very UR, Joannie has yet to try her 3-3 in competition, and the same goes for Ashley and Alissa, Mirai changed her 2a-3t to a 2a-2t, Caroline has major issues even with her 3-3 (that's often downgraded), the European ladies love to double their solo triple jumps and fall a lot (accept Leonova, but she still doesn't have a 3-3), and so who else does that leave? Akiko does 2a-3t but it was downgraded in the last comp and her edge calls will probably prevent her from beating Miki. Yukari and Fumie don't do 3-3s and probably won't be at Vancouver anyways

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Yeah that would be a good idea, and her 3lz-3lo has been looking great in the practice videos.

If you think about it though, Yuna, Rachael, and Carolina are the only real contenders who always attempt 3-3s and consistently get them ratified. And considering that Carolina falls more than anyone, and Rachael might not even be at the Olympics, Miki might not even need to do the 3-3 to make the podium. Mao does not do 3-3s anymore and her 3-2-2 has been looking very UR, Joannie has yet to try her 3-3 in competition, and the same goes for Ashley and Alissa, Mirai changed her 2a-3t to a 2a-2t, Caroline has major issues even with her 3-3 (that's often downgraded), the European ladies love to double their solo triple jumps and fall a lot (accept Leonova, but she still doesn't have a 3-3), and so who else does that leave? Akiko does 2a-3t but it was downgraded in the last comp and her edge calls will probably prevent her from beating Miki. Yukari and Fumie don't do 3-3s and probably won't be at Vancouver anyways

My question is will Miki be satisfied with a silver or a bronze medal? Does she have aspirations for gold or not? Even just for the podium, it's going to be tough. I have a feeling that Mao is going be coming back strong for the Olympics and Joannie is going to be pretty tough. In addition, lower ranked skaters like Leonova or Flatt may have a great Olympics which may make it tough for Miki. If she can hit the 3/3 (especially the 3Lz/3Lo, which has a base value of 11 points!) during practice as reports say, she ought to try it in competition. Quad Salchow may be more risky and she doesn't seem to be practicing it. But I really think 3Lz/3Lo is in the realm of possibilities.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I totally get silverlake's point about not many ladies are even trying the 3/3, but if they all do 3/2 including miki, then what puts her above the rest? Her pcs will not hold her up and her levels on spins etc are good but not the highest. If she wants a medal she needs to be above the pack.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, I still think she can win if the chips fall into place. Yup, you heard it here first :cool: