Miki Ando may attempt a quad jump at 2009 Grand Prix Final!! | Golden Skate

Miki Ando may attempt a quad jump at 2009 Grand Prix Final!!

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I just read that it was reported by a Japanese sport newspaper that there is a possibility that Miki Ando will attempt a quad jump in the Grand Prix Final!! :bow: It looks like she might try a quad-Salchow!! I guess this is an attempt to put pressure on Yuna at the GPF and possibly at Vancouver. Wow, this is either bold or reckless. I love to see her make one, though. That would be something. By the way, I like her new Egyptian LP... I especially like those neat figure gestures that she's been doing. Definitely sets her apart from other skaters.

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Ok... I just got really nervous. It would be amazing to see her do a 4S, but I don't want her to get hurt. But I wish her all the best and I hope she can land it!

Goooooooo Miki!

:yes:

This keeps coming up but never quite materializes. I would rather see her skate clean without the quad than fall with it.

Although of course IF she could pull it off... wow! It would be wonderful if she could step up and challenge Yu Na for gold.

I realize this is a totally mixed message. Sorry!

roma

On the Ice
Well, I'm really hoping I'd see Miki's quad again. If she does attempt it I hope she lands it. It'll certainly make GPF exciting for me.

And I love her new costume, too. :D Blue suits her really well.

Bennett

Record Breaker
You know, we have kept hearing this for many years. She did attempt it a couple of time, but it has never been materialized.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Not again!! At this point, she needs to get her 3Lz+3Lo back, or make a 3Lz+3T combination (which will have been a better choice). Miki can do all kinds of triples, so I don't even know why they didn't bother changing her combo during the off season, just like Yuna, especially with all the < she got on her 3Lo.

One thing I notice is Miki been to GPF 4 times, but she never won it or even managed to get a medal. So she should skate smart and try to get it and GPF will be the first and last time she has to compete with Yuna & Joannie before the Olmypics. I don't think non of them will be competing at 4CC, being so close to Olympics. She needs to put judges on notice with clean performance.

yunaddiction

Rinkside
I guess this is an attempt to put pressure on Yuna at the GPF and possibly at Vancouver.

If this is the case, she could ruin herself only, not Yuna.
Yuna doesn't care about 3axel, quad_something bla bla bla...because she always makes a focus on the performance of her own.
I've never seen a case she was affected by other skater's performance.;)

I think figure skating is a fighting with him/herself. Not with other skater.
If Miki tries a quad because she want to upgrade herself, it is good.
And 'Make it first and talk it later' would be much better.:)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
This keeps coming up but never quite materializes. I would rather see her skate clean without the quad than fall with it.

Although of course IF she could pull it off... wow! It would be wonderful if she could step up and challenge Yu Na for gold.

I realize this is a totally mixed message. Sorry!

I'm totally with you on this one... What does she have to loose by attempting it? Nothing. We rarely see clean programs anyway...

Now, here's something for my CoP number cruntchers...if Miki throws the quad and lands it fully rotated, what is that worth in terms of points? Also if she does the quad - gets full rotation but slips off the edge what does she get and if its a beautiful jump with an UR call - what is the point difference? Please advise... and Yay Miki!!:rock:

Of course - I'm sure this is simply the Japanese media hype machine cranking up on their best chance at the OGM but so what? The Olympics are months away and I like to speculate!:p

Medusa

Record Breaker
Thing is - she landed an underrotated 4S at the GPF in the LP last year. The landing was tight, but overall clean. Of course, with the double penalty back then it was worth practically nothing at all.
4S< < 4.50 -1.60 -1 -2 -2 -1 -1 -2 -2 -2 -2 - - - 2.90

If she can land it often enough in practise, I think she should just go for it in the program. If she gets downgraded, she at least gets points for a 3S without extra loss of points. And it counts as an extra jump, not as a 3S - so she still could repeat two Triples.

sjwh08

Rinkside
If she gets downgraded, she at least gets points for a 3S without extra loss of points. And it counts as an extra jump, not as a 3S - so she still could repeat two Triples.

I believe that is not true. Mao's 2nd 2A got zero point because her first 3A-3T was downgraded to 2A.

If that is true, why won't all the skaters include 4X, do 3X, and then reap the extra point?

Kypma

Final Flight
I believe that is not true. Mao's 2nd 2A got zero point because her first 3A-3T was downgraded to 2A.

If that is true, why won't all the skaters include 4X, do 3X, and then reap the extra point?

Mao's second 2A got no points in the short program in Russia because it was a repeated jump -- the double Axel cannot be repeated in the short in seniors, and so her would-have-been 3A-2T which turned out to be a 2A took the place of the Axel jump, leaving her with no combo. Jumps cannot be repeated in the short unless it is a 3T-3T combination, if I'm not mistaken.

-Kypma

Medusa

Record Breaker
No, she never made it anywhere near a 3A. The protocol said
1 2A<+COMBO < 0.80 -0.50 -3 -3 -3 -3 -3 -3 -3 -3 -3
2 3F 5.50 0.20 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0
3 LSp4 2.70 0.40 1 1 1 0 2 1 0 1 0
4 SpSq3 3.10 0.60 1 2 1 1 0 2 2 2 1
5 2A* * 0.00 0.00 - - - - - - - - -
It was counted as an underrotated 2A.

If the rule was different, it would be incredibly cruel. Imagine someone underrotating, but landing a 4T at the beginning. He later includes two 3-3 with 3T as the second jump each. If the 4T< would be counted as a 3T, the competitor's score would suffer immensely, not only would he lose the points of the 4T, but also points for a fully completed 3-3 (often somewhere around or above 10 points).

Bennett

Record Breaker
I do not take this seriously partly because Morosov talks quite aggressively and then often tells the skater to play safe. That's how he plays the game.

Miki tends to be quite honest and bare her emotions and desires to the media. I understand that she has wished to succeed in this jump again for many years.

But I have had an impression that the other parts of her performance tend to go worse when she tries a quad possibly because it requires so much focus and energy. Anyway, this is what's called the same old story.:yes:

I remember the 2004 Worlds in Dortmund. Word got out that the comparatively new competitor will execute a quad as she had done at Japanes Nationals. As I remember but not correctly, she did attempt it and failed. Sasha, Shizuka and Michelle were safe.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The Quad is a waste of time. They aren't going to give her credit for it.

She should be practicing her combinations. 3Lutz-3Loop and 2Axel-3Toe are the key.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I suspect that the rationale behind this (that is, if true) is that it's her last chance to test-run it before the Olympics.

Remember that the 3 spots on the Japanese team will be allocated to: (1) the highest-placing lady on the podium at the GPF; (2) the national champion; and (3) a skater on the national podium with favorable results throughout the season.

If she doesn't make the podium at the GPF, it's not that big of a deal, since she'll most likely make the team under (3) given her 2 GP wins, or even (2) if she skates well. If she doesn't make the podium at nationals, however, things get a bit trickier.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Miki is injury prone and has ups and downs emotionally. There is no telling what happens next. It's so much wiser to grab the chance when available. Her ratified quad many years ago would have been downgraded at the current standard, which will make her quad attempt a gamble with an even more slim chance than Mao's three-3A quest that people are questioning.

Last edited: