Emily Hughes Media Frenzy? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes Media Frenzy?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Because i've read your posts and you've posted that you like her skating

There. That's the key phrase.

I guess it's simply semantics at this point but I go by the assumption that liking Emily and liking Emily's skating don't necessarily have to be the same thing. Ok, fine, I'll stop. ;)

I didn't think it was a big secret - you've lept to her defence on many ocassions

As for this, well...don't ya think SOMEONE had to do it? :rofl:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I checked out 2009 NE Regionals Ladies LP on IceNet. It was a weak field. Emily came in second to a gal that had one Fall. Emily did a super 3Sal but then botched in a combo. Her landings on all her jumps are bleh. Gorgeous Layback!! But her overall look is lacking imo.

Technique and Musicality go together like a Horse and Carriage.
But how many skaters can manage that? I would say it's just for the Men.

Emily underrotated both the 3Z and the 3F in her FS, and yes, her jump landings are generally wonky. Her FS is totally lacking in choreography and transitions: she crossstrokes (in a hunched-over posture) from one end of the rink to the other, jumps, then crosstrokes back. Her red dress is pretty, but doesn't have much connection to GWTW.

nylynnr

On the Ice
There's that big scene in the GWTW book and movie, about Scarlett O'Hara facing down the portion of Atlanta society that disapproves of her clad in an "inappropriate" red dress. She's basically saying I'm here, I did the best I knew how, now deal with me.

Green is a rather hard color to wear. Maybe Emily is identifying with this scene? I don't know, but it's a possibility. Anyway, I agree it's a very nice dress.

janetfan

Match Penalty
There's that big scene in the GWTW book and movie, about Scarlett O'Hara facing down the portion of Atlanta society that disapproves of her clad in an "inappropriate" red dress. She's basically saying I'm here, I did the best I knew how, now deal with me.

Green is a rather hard color to wear. Maybe Emily is identifying with this scene? I don't know, but it's a possibility. Anyway, I agree it's a very nice dress.

Hmmm, haven't seen this classic film for a couple of years now - but my recollection is that Rhett left a very uncomfortable looking Scarlett - and it was Melanie who came to Scarlett's rescue with a warm greeting and a hug.

She said, "Hey everybody, say hello to our dear Scarlett"

but probably thought "what a bimbo" :laugh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmmm, haven't seen this classic film for a couple of years now - but my recollection is that Rhett left a very uncomfortable looking Scarlett - and it was Melanie who came to Scarlett's rescue with a warm greeting and a hug.

She said, "Hey everybody, say hello to our dear Scarlett"

but probably thought "what a bimbo" :laugh:

Umm, no. Melanie died after suffering a late-term miscarriage. THEN Rhett left Scarlett.

Tharau

Spectator
As posted on Emily's forum, here's a brand-new New York Times article about her:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/sports/olympics/13skating.html?_r=1

I don't care what anyone says -- to be called in at the last minute to replace a famous skater twice, before major, major events, that IS quite a story.:thumbsup: Even better if she does well. I hope she will, or at least good enough to position her for a real trial at Nationals.

Sk8tr321

Rinkside
I don't care what anyone says -- to be called in at the last minute to replace a famous skater twice, before major, major events, that IS quite a story.:thumbsup:

A very interesting story indeed. Last time made sense since she was next in line.

As for the SA competition, my money is on Rachael Flatt to get the high score for a US skater. She is pretty consistent and has been skating 155-172 this year. We need her representing the US in Vancouver. Alexa Gilles has been in the 150s and could do well.

Of course Yu Na Kim would need to have a really bad day to loose at SA the way she has been skating this year 207, 210+

antmanb

Record Breaker
There. That's the key phrase.

I guess it's simply semantics at this point but I go by the assumption that liking Emily and liking Emily's skating don't necessarily have to be the same thing. Ok, fine, I'll stop. ;)

Maybe it's naive of me to assume that anyone posting they like anyone they don't actually know must be referring to their skating/singing/acting/physical attributes since it's impossible to like someone personally if you don't know them.

Emily is one of the few skaters that you don't have any constructive criticism for, and lord knows you have ploenty for the rest ;)

Ant

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Emily when she's in reasonable shape has an enthusiasm that reaches over the boards, grabs you by the cheeks, pulls up the corners of your mouth, and makes you smile. It makes it feels like you know her, and like her. It has nothing to do with her abilities on the blade.

In fact, I remember her vividly (if not wholly accurately, at my age ;) ), skating in a little dark red velvet looking costume, at US Nationals in LA in 2002 in Juniors. She finished last. She deserved to finish last. I don't remember her landing a single jump. Maybe one, but I don't think so. Nonetheless she went for every single one of them with attack and enthusiasm, behaving as if she were glad to be there.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Umm, no. Melanie died after suffering a late-term miscarriage. THEN Rhett left Scarlett.

True, but you have the the wrong scene.
The scene we were talking about happens after Scarlett is caught in a sentimental but mostly innocent moment reminiscing with Ashley (not the skater :)) by India Wilkes.

Later that night Scarlett wants to stay home but Rhett forces her to attend a party hosted by Melanie. He picks out a very inappropriate dress for her, (even Caro wouldn't wear such a dress ;) ) drags her to the party and then leaves her.

Last edited:
Emily and why the red dress? It maybe for the color and name: Scarlet. It could also be a defiant gesture that she is not going to be the norm. Enter Bette Davis and Jezebel. It's really irrelevant. The skating matters.

However, the CoP calls for "Interpretation" in the PC scores. The CoP, however doesn't go far enough to explain what should be interpreted.. Is it the character of the story which in this case is the Plantation - not Scarlet. or the character of the skater's sensibility? If it's the latter, the skater must bring the audience into his/her feelings. The character of the music is there. Let's see it.

Of course when there is no written text of a story, the skater must show his sensibility to the music. This is extremely difficult for a young skater to do.

Think of Tschaikowsky's Violin Concerto. No story, but what an artist can do with that music! Do we see it in competitions? Rarely but Torvahl and Dean's interpretation of Bolero says it can be done.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Maybe it's naive of me to assume that anyone posting they like anyone they don't actually know must be referring to their skating/singing/acting/physical attributes since it's impossible to like someone personally if you don't know them.

Most people seem to look at it like that, but I dunno...I guess I'm different.

Emily is one of the few skaters that you don't have any constructive criticism for

:rofl: you must have missed this part of my post

She looks like she enjoys what she is doing without being OTT (*cough*Leonova). I wouldn't call myself a fan of hers though. However, slow pieces don't suit her at all IMO and she's been doing those lately :indiff: ... meh

no one gets by unscathed. ;)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Most people seem to look at it like that, but I dunno...I guess I'm different.

:rofl: you must have missed this part of my post

no one gets by unscathed. ;)

:rofl:

I think i must have missed that bit!

Ant

Thanks for posting this nice article.

I do hope US Skating fans are managing to survive this "onslaught" of Emily propaganda ;)

I don't think anyone is attacking Emily. Her Regionals LP says where she is at presently. The question remains willl her SA tell us something differently?

NYTimes always talks about NY skaters when they are popular. Not to the extent of the Yankees but a little and of no signficance figure skaters.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't think anyone is attacking Emily. Her Regionals LP says where she is at presently. The question remains willl her SA tell us something differently?

NYTimes always talks about NY skaters when they are popular. Not to the extent of the Yankees but a little and of no signficance figure skaters.

I was just responding to the topic header. :yes:

But here is a question about her. Let's say if Emily is not particularly impressive at SA this weekend - do you think she has enough training time between now and Natls to be a factor?

Last edited: