Jenny On Sasha: Part Deux | Golden Skate

Jenny On Sasha: Part Deux

Hikaru

Final Flight
Jenny's take on Sasha's withdrawal from Skate America.

She sounds a little less judgemental this time..............

http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/2009/11/09/cohens-comeback-stalls/

Nothing new really, although I felt she was containing herself on this piece. I agree that now the "comeback" looks over. Without feedback on the programs one can expect Sasha not to go to Nationals, or go and withdraw after the short program, or maybe do the two programs and win. Still, it's not the same being judge on a national level, and she doesn't quite "know" how she would fair among the strongest international skaters. In the case she actually showed up and won, would she accept going to 4CC as an extra to prepare for Olys? right now I don't see that happening.

Phillip Hersh criticised Jennifer Kirk for not interviewing Sasha when Kirk wrote about Sasha's withdrawal from Eric Bompard.

Hersh's article in reply, on the other hand, merely parroted back whatever Sasha told him to say.

If it were an important enough issue, I would be curious to see some actual investigative journalism. Do we have any independent verification of the extent of Sasha's injury? Do we have any information about whether Sasha got her Lutz and flip back, or whether she is competition ready?

fairly4

Medalist
she forgets to mention Sasha could petition to be on the olympic team, and with the silver medal harping-what chance do you think she will be left off.

Bennett

Record Breaker
If it were an important enough issue, I would be curious to see some actual investigative journalism. Do we have any independent verification of the extent of Sasha's injury? Do we have any information about whether Sasha got her Lutz and flip back, or whether she is competition ready?

I think that Jenny made a reasonable, informed analysis based on the available reports and on her experiencial knowledge as a former skater. I do not think that she needed to verify the extent of Sasha's injury when Sasha cited advice from a surgeon. I do not think that Jenny needed to verify whether Sasha had lutz and flip back when Sasha said that she had trouble praciticing these along with loop due to the injury. I also do not think Jenny needed to research whether or not Sasha is competition ready when we know that she WDed. She did not need to do independent research of any of these unless the main focus of the article had been to question credibility of Sasha's statements, which was not. None of the crucial factors she cites below needs any independent verification, either.
If I were to say that there’s a new skater whose been away from competitive skating for almost four years, has missed her fall competitions because of an injury and is coming to Nationals with two new programs and a history of inconsistency, would you expect this person to be a threat? Probably not.

Last edited:
^ All quite true, for such a trivial matter as who does or does not show uo at a figure skating contest.

My point was to make fun of Hersh for scolding Jennifer about not being a ""real journalist."

prettykeys

Medalist
^ All quite true, for such a trivial matter as who does or does not show uo at a figure skating contest.

My point was to make fun of Hersh for scolding Jennifer about not being a ""real journalist."
:biggrin: Whatever, I like it when there's mudslinging happening between two jerks. :p