Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 122

Thread: Whither Johnny?

  1. #1
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,190

    Whither Johnny?

    I suppose we should not make too much of one competition, but does it seem like the Johnny Weir era is over?

    Once, Johnny could be counted on, win or lose, to bring something unique to his programs. Where has his mojo gone?
    Last edited by Mathman; 10-24-2009 at 03:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    Um, it's with TAT and Platov who choreographed Otonal and the Swan.

    There was a giant cosmic mixup among the skate gods.

    Mao is supposed to be with Galina. Johnny is supposed to be in Russia with TAT.
    :banging:

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    129
    Programs are good.

  4. #4
    Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I suppose we should not make too much of one competition, but does it seem like the Johnny Weir era is over?

    Once, Johnny could be counted on, win or lose, to bring something unique to his programs. Where has his mojo gone?
    Do you really need to be SO melodramatic?

    Yes, his skating's been boring for a while.

  5. #5
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Do you really need to be SO melodramatic?
    I just like to work in the word "mojo" whenever possible. (Now if I just knew what it meant, exactly).

    I think the main problem is this. Artistic expression is always based on sound fundamental technique. Johnny used to have an amazing triple Lutz and, IMHO, the best triple Axel in the business. Now he is struggling with jump technique, and this prevents him from displaying his great-hearted soul. (I mean his great-souled heart.)

  6. #6
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I just like to work in the word "mojo" whenever possible. (Now if I just knew what it meant, exactly).
    ooo bad flashbacks of Terry Gannon talking about mojo with Dick Button coming on.... oh the horror!

  7. #7
    Rink Rat i love to skate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I suppose we should not make too much of one competition, but does it seem like the Johnny Weir era is over?

    Once, Johnny could be counted on, win or lose, to bring something unique to his programs. Where has his mojo gone?
    Was there ever really a Johnny Weir era? If there was I think it was over a couple years ago. Like Plushenko, his programs look very similar to his 2006 programs. Johnny has obviously lost a lot - if not all - confidence in himself and perhaps he needs to consider a coaching change - to someone who emphasizes jump technique. He gives up in the air now on a lot of his jumps.

  8. #8
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,661
    I don't know... didn't his era end in 2008 when Evan was given the title over Johnny in the LP? As much as I prefer Evan over Johnny's skating (and most of the time personality lol) Johnny should have won the LP by a large margin... not tying the score...

    I think that was when his era ended, if he had one... the USFSA sent a statement with that one. They'd moved on.

    However, johnny needs to realize that his fans do not work like the USFSA. He does not need to make excuses or apologies to them, they will love him and his work no matter what... which is clearly evident, and I hope he sees that.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I suppose we should not make too much of one competition, but does it seem like the Johnny Weir era is over?

    Once, Johnny could be counted on, win or lose, to bring something unique to his programs. Where has his mojo gone?
    I would say, "Yes!" It ended more or less at 2006 Olympics. He is losing more and more year after year. Not only him, but his fans are struggling to hold on.

  10. #10
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Do you really need to be SO melodramatic?

    Yes, his skating's been boring for a while.
    A few years Johnny was strong technically and seemed very original for the sometimes stodgy world of figure skating.

    I was interested in seeing the "new Johnny" we heard so much about. He looks far from his best right now, but with the exception of some of the steps which I thought were good, he looked like the same old Johnny.

    At the moment Plushy looks the same too. Plushy looks just like the skater who won the OGM. Unfortunately Johnny is looking like the same skater who came up short in most of his biggest competitions.

    Still early, and I think he has a chance to do well if he can raise his performance level a couple of notches. But looking ahead to 2014 I might rather see Rippon and Mroz get beaten by Plushy than seeing Johnny fall short again.

    Let's see how he looks at his next event before deciding his mojo has left him.

  11. #11
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,661
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Not only him, but his fans are struggling to hold on.
    I would argue then they weren't really fans to begin with... fans stand by their favorites through the best and the worst... fair weather "fans" are fans of shiney gold things and the idea of winning, they're not fans of the person/thing itself.

    it may be hard for fans to stay positive, but they don't leave their favorite behind... nor do they kick him when he's down.

  12. #12
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I would argue then they weren't really fans to begin with... fans stand by their favorites through the best and the worst... fair weather "fans" are fans of shiney gold things and the idea of winning, they're not fans of the person/thing itself.

    it may be hard for fans to stay positive, but they don't leave their favorite behind... nor do they kick him when he's down.
    ITA and thanks for reminding me what makes a true fan.

  13. #13
    Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,989
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    A few years Johnny was strong technically and seemed very original for the sometimes stodgy world of figure skating.

    I was interested in seeing the "new Johnny" we heard so much about. He looks far from his best right now, but with the exception of some of the steps which I thought were good, he looked like the same old Johnny.

    At the moment Plushy looks the same too. Plushy looks just like the skater who won the OGM. Unfortunately Johnny is looking like the same skater who came up short in most of his biggest competitions.

    Still early, and I think he has a chance to do well if he can raise his performance level a couple of notches. But looking ahead to 2014 I might rather see Rippon and Mroz get beaten by Plushy than seeing Johnny fall short again.

    Let's see how he looks at his next event before deciding his mojo has left him.
    Since you quoted me. It was Mathman who was talking about mojo, not me. I'm not writing Johnny off, I'm almost sure he'll soon fix those jumps he missed in CoR. He might place well in other events, why not. I was saying his skating looked boring to me. And, unlike you, I wasn't interested in seeing the "new Johnny", because I knew his programs would end up boring. Because they were choreographed by boring (to me) Wilson.

  14. #14
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I would argue then they weren't really fans to begin with... fans stand by their favorites through the best and the worst... fair weather "fans" are fans of shiney gold things and the idea of winning, they're not fans of the person/thing itself.

    it may be hard for fans to stay positive, but they don't leave their favorite behind... nor do they kick him when he's down.
    Don't you think that's a bit narrow-minded?

    My Johnny-love has certainly cooled down during the last years. And I don't think I am alone in this. I am a fan of the skater, not of the person behind the skater (since you never really know about those anyway). And if the skater changes, and I really think he did and not in a positive way, I think I am allowed to defan myself. That doesn't make me a bad person or disloyal. I still wish him all the best and am very happy if he does well, and am sad for him, if he doesn't do well (like today).

  15. #15
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Don't you think that's a bit narrow-minded?
    I'm narrowminded, so why wouldn't I have a narrowminded view of the world?

    and there's a difference between being disillusioned with someone's skating because they've changed styles... and just because they lost the top spot on the podium, which is what I was getting at.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •