Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST

janetfan

Match Penalty
love the wanted poster :agree:

I think the "wanted" poster is very cool :rock:
but geez, come to think of it, this Plushy fellow has no more color than a polar bear ;)
I think Tomas and Plushy should both take a trip to SoCal and spend a day on the beach with Evan. He just looks so healthy and natural compared to both of them :rofl: :p :yes: :biggrin: :laugh:

Warning; this post is not so serious :)

Last edited:
Leave those 2 white boys to Euros ;). I believe Evgeni will make an appearance at Euros. Also in Euros is my boy, Michal. Don't forget that, and of course, we will have another look at Brian.

Come to think of it, I'm now wondering about 4CC more than the US Nats.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
yes, i'm young... Thank you for noticing, but age for women seems to be negative as a youth and as an elder... What is that about? It's just a number... I'd rather be known for my intellectual/personality (can't think of the word i want to use! How ironic) maturity.

Is the word....Special!!!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

evangeline

Record Breaker
If I had to judge a skater by their music selections, Evan would be at the top.
Maybe Evan just has superior taste in music as he generally skates to aknowledged and beloved masterpieces. If not the most musical of skaters, he does manage to find a way to bring the grandeur of his music to the forefront as in performance after performance his intensity, fueled and led by the majestic scores always brings the crowd to their feet. His style is not for eveyone - but in his own way he is every bit the showman that Joubert and Plushy are.

I think it is shallow to knock Evan so hard for a perceived lack of "musicality" when it is so obvious Joubert and Plushy seem incapable of anything close to superior interpretation the way we see from Jeremy.

I found your post very interesting, because the reason you like Evan is the reason that I don't like him as much as other skaters, though I admire his consistency and his work ethic. Based on exhibitions and other like skates, to me, Evan is a whole lot better off skating to other types of music instead of skating the same old program to different warhorses. He seems a lot more comfortable, and dare I say even expressive when skating to his non-warhorsey exhibition music. Instead he chooses the same sort of classical warhorses season after season, and he slaps his same old choreography on it instead of taking the beautiful music and making it his own. After all, when you hear Rhapsody in Blue--is the first thing you think of really 'Evan Lysacek'? To me, it's Ilia Kulik.

To be honest, I don't think Evan's choice of music means he has superior taste in music at all (I remember him saying that he's never heard of Tosca a couple of seasons ago!). To me, skating to tired old warhorses season after season with minimal differences in choreography just shows a lack of creativity and a desire to stay firmly boxed in one's 'safe zone,' even if said safe zone does not even really fit so well. To you, Evan may bring intenstiy, passion, etc to his programs but to me, I think the famous and beautiful music does half the job for him already....

I don't think it's shallow to knock Evan for his lack of musicality...Joubert and Plush get the same criticism anyways. It's not like anyone here has EVER said Joubert and Plush handle musical interpretation the way skaters like Jeremy Abbott or Jeffrey Buttle do.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Actually, I can't say I really thrill to Jeremy Abbott that much. Saw him live at Liberty, and can definitely take him or leave him. In the style that he skates, Patrick Chan was better. Ryan B OTOH rocked the house.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I found your post very interesting, because the reason you like Evan is the reason that I don't like him as much as other skaters, though I admire his consistency and his work ethic. Based on exhibitions and other like skates, to me, Evan is a whole lot better off skating to other types of music instead of skating the same old program to different warhorses. He seems a lot more comfortable, and dare I say even expressive when skating to his non-warhorsey exhibition music. Instead he chooses the same sort of classical warhorses season after season, and he slaps his same old choreography on it instead of taking the beautiful music and making it his own. After all, when you hear Rhapsody in Blue--is the first thing you think of really 'Evan Lysacek'? To me, it's Ilia Kulik.

To be honest, I don't think Evan's choice of music means he has superior taste in music at all (I remember him saying that he's never heard of Tosca a couple of seasons ago!). To me, skating to tired old warhorses season after season with minimal differences in choreography just shows a lack of creativity and a desire to stay firmly boxed in one's 'safe zone,' even if said safe zone does not even really fit so well. To you, Evan may bring intenstiy, passion, etc to his programs but to me, I think the famous and beautiful music does half the job for him already....

I don't think it's shallow to knock Evan for his lack of musicality...Joubert and Plush get the same criticism anyways. It's not like anyone here has EVER said Joubert and Plush handle musical interpretation the way skaters like Jeremy Abbott or Jeffrey Buttle do.

Evangeline, I love this post you just made ......but..........
I was NOT being serious, OK. I was particularly giving Evan big credit for the things you just pointed out. I have no idea about Evan's taste in music and felt like having a little fun. Looking at Evan's costumes and ridiculous "George Hamilton" tan make me wonder about Evan's taste about much more than just music. :yes: :laugh:

I think it is OK to try and have some fun and humor (even failed humor) can be better at times for all of us.

Medusa began the post I replied to by stating "Joubert is NOT a musical skater."
I thought I would try to parody some of her words and several other posters.

I find that people who claim that "Evan's skating drives them to despair," while others talk as if they actually know him offers rich ground for parody and satire. I am surprised that you, a native English speaker did not get it.

So I agree with you - because you just said EXACTLY what I was making fun of. :)

I will try harder next time. I will even translate to Greek so seniorta will have a chance to laugh or get upset with me for the right reasons. :yes: :)

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
Evan Never Snide

I have to completely agree, I cannot stand Evan as a skater or as a person, he just comes off as such a jerk, whenever I see his interviews.

Don't understand where you get this impression. Evan is never snide. He is always a gentleman - very courteous and well spoken. I have met him numerous times. He thinks before he speaks and in my opinon since I have known him for years, he's a classy guy.. At the Chicago media summit Ralph Lauren party, he was there with his parents and gave a wonderful speech.

janetfan

Match Penalty
It's not only the language barrier :laugh:, now if you say Evan looks natural and healthy that's crystal clear irony :laugh:, but I would not have put it past you to have strong sentiments regarding Art-music and Pop-music. ;)

On the other hand, I would love to see you translate into Greek and some other languages if possible :biggrin:

I remember reading Weir's comments last Spring. He was talking about working with Wislon for the first time (although I think he made it all up to fool the judges because his choreo looks the same to me :p).

Weir did say, "I was told I need to end with a big crescendo and to show more energetic footwork LIKE EVAN DOES."

I think what Weir said is true - but I don't see Evan's IN getting any better at the end, but the music does get louder and he gets more frantic so it fools the public and the judges. Call it the curse of CoP steps! :yes:

I worked my way through music school playing Pop/Rock music and I like all types of music, even some American country/bluegrass ( I :love: "Alison Krause and Union Station" - maybe because Alison is a German-American girl. ;)

If I ever meet her I will offer her a chocolate bar but will not call her the "f" word ;)

The only music I am not too fond of is certain types of Euro techno music and most American techno and hip-hop music. Maybe because I am just older - and I get it if that music was not written for my ears. :yes: :laugh:

I have a dog named Martha - after Paul McCartney's song "Martha My Dear" which Paul happened to compose for his own dog. Beatles trivia ja, ja :cool:

Anyway, I still doubt if a certain Greek lady gets even something as obvious as the '"healthy and natural" comments about Evan and the pale Euro boyz. :eek:

Last edited:
I don't care for criticisms of skaters' personalities. As far as I'm concerned, their job is what they put out on the ice. Anything else is pretty irrelevant... if not sheer gossip. Small incidents can get blown up and distorted in the repetition and analysis -- in the process somebody's character can get assassinated and they never have a chance to defend themselves.

I'm not wild about Evan's skating but I have absolutely nothing against him personally. If anything I admire his work ethic and determination immensely.

Praising skaters' virtues is certainly more pleasant. It's also irrelevant, but does no harm.

(Well, on second thought, exaggerated praise is not particularly beneficial to the soul. And then, I don't know if it happens in skating, but celebrities have PR machines to make it look like they're saving the world -- I find it hard to take any of it seriously. If they were really that selfless they wouldn't have PR machines.)

Perhaps it's best to focus on the skating. A novel idea! :biggrin:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't care for criticisms of skaters' personalities. As far as I'm concerned, their job is what they put out on the ice. Anything else is pretty irrelevant... if not sheer gossip. Small incidents can get blown up and distorted in the repetition and analysis -- in the process somebody's character can get assassinated and they never have a chance to defend themselves.

I'm not wild about Evan's skating but I have absolutely nothing against him personally. If anything I admire his work ethic and determination immensely.

Praising skaters' virtues is certainly more pleasant. It's also irrelevant, but does no harm.

(Well, on second thought, exaggerated praise is not particularly beneficial to the soul. And then, I don't know if it happens in skating, but celebrities have PR machines to make it look like they're saving the world -- I find it hard to take any of it seriously. If they were really that selfless they wouldn't have PR machines.)

Perhaps it's best to focus on the skating. A novel idea! :biggrin:

Good post Spun. But do you really think mankind, let alone skating fans, have evolved enough to accept your revolutionary idea "to focus on the skating" ;) :)

I hope you will not get "banned" for such wild talk ;) :biggrin: :laugh:

ae9177

On the Ice
Don't understand where you get this impression. Evan is never snide. He is always a gentleman - very courteous and well spoken. I have met him numerous times. He thinks before he speaks and in my opinon since I have known him for years, he's a classy guy.. At the Chicago media summit Ralph Lauren party, he was there with his parents and gave a wonderful speech.

Thank you! I met Evan several times in person and I have exactly the same impression as you do. :rock: Just ignore those obviously biased posts from a few haters. :biggrin:

Here's a little pray that miracle could happen at SC and Tomas can still make it to the GPF. :bow:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I will try harder next time. I will even translate to Greek so seniorta will have a chance to laugh or get upset with me for the right reasons. :yes: :)
Oh pleeeeeeaaaseee, dont underestimate my intelligence.;):pAnd since Gs I have enriched my vocabulary a lot!:cool:The only reason I didnt get the humor is because in your post there were plenty of things that usually you bring up in other threads too when you speak seriously. There were not as many exaggerating stuff in your speech so I would think it was sarcasm all over.
I agree Joubert..he is a very good looking guy. :yes: :rock:
Plushenko on the other hand seems to try very hard to come up with good music ... to listen to Marton's agonizingly dull, repetitive Tango scores. :boohoo:

I am glad Plushy has returned though. He is afterall the Olympic champion and one of the greatest jumpers in the history of the sport. He also seems to be a nice person too and we should not judge him by his silly mullet :cool:

If I had to judge a skater by their music selections, Evan would be at the top.
His style is not for eveyone - but in his own way he is every bit the showman that Joubert and Plushy are.

BTW, I like Tomas even if he looks so ungodly pale
Stuff like that have been said many times and they might be real afterall. Marton's mess of a Tango, or Joubert looks , or Plush mullet or Evan -showman are pretty much true anyway, what was the sarcasm about them?;)
I m not native and I certainly dont have B's and Med's fluency(but i take notes:biggrin:) but I can get most things here, it is not like I needed the Britannica to read your post :p

Anyway, I still doubt if a certain Greek lady gets even something as obvious as the '"healthy and natural" comments about Evan and the pale Euro boyz. :eek:

oh with that I laughed, it was a joke.:laugh:

deedeelocks

Rinkside
Dobry vecer Deedeelocks,

I liked the pics - dekuji ! :)

Are you familiar with Stará Boleslav or Brandys nad Labem??

Dobry vecer :D

I'm not really familiar with this town, there are many places in CZE I haven't been to and still wanna visit. It looks nice on google though :D

janetfan

Match Penalty
Oh pleeeeeeaaaseee, dont underestimate my intelligence.;):[/I]. There were not as many exaggerating stuff in your speech so I would think it was sarcasm all over.

:

I meant that I may have overestimated your humor, not your intelligence. ;)

And fine if you don't like it or get it. :)

It is a simple trick to take lines out of context - but then you miss the point.:yes:
Maybe I missed the point too - but a few laughed and that is good enough for me. :cool:

But no chocolate bar for you fraulein :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Dobry vecer :D

I'm not really familiar with this town, there are many places in CZE I haven't been to and still wanna visit. It looks nice on google though :D

I lived there for three months back in the early 90's. I taught English and played in the town band while I was there. I love the towns and the people and have fond memories of them.

The first words of Czech I learned were "pivo, prosim, Gambrinus." :yes: