Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST

I have to thank NBC/Univ Sports for all the coverage. Totally made up for my trip to Lake Placid falling through.

However! Scott Hamilton was especially irritating in the Men's comps. "Nicely landed!" has replaced his former "HA-HA-HA" every time somebody lands a jump. But what's worse, he kept calling a jump fabulous right after takeoff, only to have the skater splat. If you can't call a takeoff, stop trying, Scott!

Plus, I hated that audience poll of favorite SA men's champions from the past. Way to insult Eldridge, Weiss and Boitano (or was it Orser), not to mention Takahashi and Oda. Apparently Scott got 80% of the vote because of his commentating role. :disapp:

jennylovskt

Medalist
I liked Bradley's LP alot and he makes the classical music work so well .

He destroyed the classical music so well, I should say. I feel that classical music and Bradley cannot mix up. I was impressed by his jumps this time though, and he has the talent for entertaining the audience.

Congratulations to the podium winners! The door bell rang while Evan was skating, I missed half of it. So cannot comment on that for now.:mad: I expect him to win of course. Whoelse could challenge him if Tomas was sick? Is he really that tan or just make-up? It looked so bad. I hate his costume, but I have to admit that for the first time, his costume has emphasized and showed he actually has curve.:biggrin:

janetfan

Match Penalty
He destroyed the classical music so well, I should say. I feel that classical music and Bradley cannot mix up. I was impressed by his jumps this time though, and he has the talent for entertaining the audience.

Congratulations to the podium winners! The door bell rang while Evan was skating, I missed half of it. So cannot comment on that for now.:mad: I expect him to win of course. Whoelse could challenge him if Tomas was sick? Is he really that tan or just make-up? It looked so bad. I hate his costume, but I have to admit that for the first time, his costume has emphasized and showed he actually has curve.:biggrin:

I think Bradley is sort of doing a gentle satire on the music, and how skaters have used it in the past.
I found it utterly charming.

You would prefer Bradley to use a pelvic thrust? ;)

Now Mroz - that boy and Beethoven do NOT go together imo.

He destroyed the classical music so well, I should say.
Yes. Both he and Shawn chopped up Mozart pieces like mincemeat. But Shawn takes Mozart seriously, Ryan made fun of the music. I mean, he was irresistible and I enjoyed his skate, but Shawn is the one who made me exclaim to my husband, "THIS is figure skating! Yea!" :clap: That's a great program. (And it was wonderful to see Shawn's joy after he finished.)

enlight78

Medalist
What Joubert,Plush, and Evan all have is the showmanship gravity that pulls the audience eyes them; that look at me aura; The movements are not musical but they are big. Shawn has a great ;musical program but he has no "gravity"; Theres a difference between being artistic and selling your program and the judges are always going for the sell;(no matter what the quality is)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The music is just the background. It's like a soundtrack for a battle. There to underline the glory of the warrior. Lysacek forces the music, among them pieces belonging to the best mankind has ever written, into the role of his servant, his slave. It's fake, it's dissonant and I simply can't stand it.

then he's pretty dang powerful.... maybe that's why I'm drawn to him :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I like Bradley's program but he skates SO SLOW. His basic skating is almost painful to watch, I'm sorry.

He lacks technique on the jumps too. His Quads are barely rotated and all of his other Triples look burdensome. His 3Axel is the only jump that sometimes looks good. He gets massive height on it and there is something about the forward takeoff to the Axel that makes his wild technique somewhat appealing for that jump.

The spins are not a strong point either.

seniorita

Record Breaker
You would prefer Bradley to use a pelvic thrust? ;)
Oh yes please. :biggrin:

How many times will I read the pelvic thrust joke?And the finger? I laughed the first time, the second, the third also...the hundredth it is not so funny. If all you see in a skater is this, fine..But If plushenko and Joubert got standing ovations and high pcs and so many medals in their career only because of their pelvic thrusts, why doesnt Evan do the same to be an Olympic Champion, it looks so much easy to shake your hips a la Beyonce...
But maybe then he would not bring the house down, he would bring the house --->out.
Voila, a shallow moment...

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
However, I like Evan as a person.

Evan-as-a-person certainly does not help me appreciate him either.

I'm not going to get into why I dislike him as a person (better not start any "rumors" :rolleye:), but even during skating press conferences you can see his snide attitude come through at times.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Oh yes please. :biggrin:

How many times will I read the pelvic thrust joke?And the finger? I laughed the first time, the second, the third also...the hundredth it is not so funny. If all you see in a skater is this, fine..But If plushenko and Joubert got standing ovations in their career only because of their pelvic thrusts, why doesnt Evan do the same to be an Olympic Champion, it looks so much easy to shake your hips a la Beyonce...
But maybe then he would not bring the house down, he would bring the house --->out.
Voila, a shallow moment...

Yes, it would appear not only shallow but not very accurate either. And I would need a computer, possibly two computers to keep tract of the Evan bashing from the friendly frauleins across the pond. ;)

Just don't pick on Tomas, OK? He is probably my favorite guy and he seems to have enough problems without any "shallow moments" being directed his way.:laugh:

When the pelvic thrust and fingers go away then I gues people won't comment and tease about them. And you never saw Bradley's thrust? Did you even read the post to see how it came up? :scratch:

But as somebody said earlier,
Different strokes for different folks.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Yes, it would appear not only shallow but not very accurate either. And I would need a computer, possibly two computers to keep tract of the Evan bashing from the friendly frauleins across the pond. ;)
Your posts are starting to sound contradictory. There were also not more than 3 people from Europe who were clearly criticising Evan in this thread.

The expression "Fräulein" in Germany was originally meant to distinguish married women from unmarried women. These days it's an insult, because it was often used to belittle and ridicule girls, younger women and unmarried older women. It's a condescending and patronising expression, meant to lower the value of women's opinions and intellectual abilities. You used it just like that. It's by the way outdated, if used in public every woman can demand an official apology from the offender.

He takes on these bombastic classical warhorses, some of them among my favourite pieces... he thunders himself through his programs, with no understanding for the music, for the melody, for the rhythm. The music is just the background. It's like a soundtrack for a battle. There to underline the glory of the warrior.

= the formula for winning an Olympic medal. What I don't understand is the competors who would rather be musical and artsy than win an Olympic medal. They can be musical and artsy when they go on their victory tour after the Olympics. :yes: ;)

First things first. Skate to Carmen. :agree:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I would never pick on Tomas cause I enjoy him very very much.
And in general I m not famous for picking on skaters I dislike. When exactly I bashed Evan?
I dont even think he flails that much. At all. All i see is a very well calculation of his arms even in crossovers. Plushenko yes, he flails arms, hair and butt in all directions. But I love it. It is all his, it is his style and you just like it or not. But it all comes natural, doesnt seem like "How did Nicol showed me?I send my one arm right and my other left"
If I want to see frenetic skate(and much more) i pick a plush program, if i want to see a jazzy skater I pick Tomas, if I want to see an actor I pick Amodio or Oda, if I want to see drama i go with Weir or Taka, if i want to see something magical I choose Lambiel. Evan has come too determined this season and I m sure he will be one of the few non headcases in Olys cause he is that good, but I just cant find an originality or his soul in his skate.
At the bottom line who am I to judge, Plush has no choreo.

First things first. Skate to Carmen.

!!!!!

I fell off my couch after this :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I dunno, I think Evan's going to do something similar to what he did at nationals 06... want it too much and make one or two little boneheaded mistakes due to lack of concentration on the step at hand and go down... I pray i'm wrong, but i'm going to be prepared this time lol

I like Bradley's program but he skates SO SLOW. His basic skating is almost painful to watch, I'm sorry.

He lacks technique on the jumps too. His Quads are barely rotated and all of his other Triples look burdensome. His 3Axel is the only jump that sometimes looks good. He gets massive height on it and there is something about the forward takeoff to the Axel that makes his wild technique somewhat appealing for that jump.

The spins are not a strong point either.

Yeah, but... the guy has been hanging around trying to make the A team for s-o-o long. It was a real kick to see him land TWO QUADS!! A TRIPLE AXEL! And an fun and funky program to boot. :rock: