Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST

evangeline

Record Breaker
The system seems flawed and in a way that favors the top skaters. So what if they have an off day - just jack up their pcs and they are still in the competition.

But how is this any different than the Presentation mark under 6.0?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Fair enough, janetfan. I promise to not turn this into a 6.0 vs COP debate. Since we're discussing the ladies, I'll shift the rest of my comments there.

cornell08

Final Flight
Lets be serious, people-- this is a pretty weak mens field. However, I like Evan as a person even if I'm not a huge fan of his skating-- he puts 100+% into everything he does and I really respect him for that. However, I really don't recognize that freeskate as Scheherazade...he needs to move out of his comfort zone and wear a program-appropriate costume and really get into the mindset of the story he is trying to portray! I am amazed Carrolls let him off this easy with such a lackluster interpretation. Artistry and skating skills is where Oda and Lambiel shine-- he will need to bring more to the Olympic stage.

Nadia01

Final Flight
However, I really don't recognize that freeskate as Scheherazade...he needs to move out of his comfort zone and wear a program-appropriate costume and really get into the mindset of the story he is trying to portray!

Was Evan supposed to be Scheherazade (the character)? BF recognized the music and asked me when men started skating to that music...

I thought maybe Evan was trying to be Scheherazade's husband (the King), but with the black costume (which looks remarkably like the one from his SP) I couldn't tell what he was trying to do.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
But how is this any different than the Presentation mark under 6.0?

Hello Evangeline - please refer to ImaginaryPogues last post.
Pretty please :biggrin:

I just said/conceded 6.0 is gone and that it had many problems. That does not mean that CoP does not have it's own problems or some of the same one's 6.0 had.

Doris and Joe just made pretty clear points about this and that is what I was addressing. It is not about 6.0 but more about this season's GP marks and scoring.

Have to rake leaves now before SA comes on TV!!!!
Maybe some fresh air and exercise will straighten me out :yes: :laugh:

i love to skate

Medalist
What I'm wondering is whether or not there's any way to work on cultural biases and favoritism during the judges' training - it's important that judges be aware that they may be favoring certain styles/skaters, even if not consciously, so that they'll take their own bias into account when evaluating performances. I realize that's a difficult thing to train yourself to do. But most of us as fans are capable of acknowledging the strengths of skaters we don't like, so I don't see why we should expect any less from the judges, who are, after all, trained and experienced experts.

I think judges are aware of cultural biases - even in everyday life the majority of us know what biases we have and that they exist. It would be almost impossible to train yourself to ignore these factors though. The majority of judges are able to recognize flaws in skaters and (usually) this is reflected in the marks. As Katha said it is never going to be a sport where favoritism or biases do not exist because it is human nature.

cornell08

Final Flight
He really ought to channel Charlie White's Samson. Or at least get the same costume designer to make him a more plausible outfit.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Only watched the top four, spent the entire weekend away from the computer - so I'll make it short: this was even more underwhelming than NHK as a competition. And as far as Evan and his PCS are concerned; I totally agree with Buttercup on all, really all, accounts and find this double standard on this and other boards concerning Evan vs. certain European skaters simply astonishing and utterly, completely annoying.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Can you be more specific? Which European skaters (on this board) do you think we're too harsh while giving Evan the benefit of the doubt?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I assume Plush would be one of them... he's comparable, I think, to Evan in the arm flapping and huge PCS... but I like Evan and I don't like Plush... so that's my guess? Medusa can correct me though ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I assume Plush would be one of them... he's comparable, I think, to Evan in the arm flapping and huge PCS... but I like Evan and I don't like Plush... so that's my guess? Medusa can correct me though ;)

How much pcs and + goe is Joubert receiving for his pelvic thrust? ;)
or his childish and tired running man steps?

Patrick and Evan fans want to know?? :)

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Only watched the top four, spent the entire weekend away from the computer - so I'll make it short: this was even more underwhelming than NHK as a competition. And as far as Evan and his PCS are concerned; I totally agree with Buttercup on all, really all, accounts and find this double standard on this and other boards concerning Evan vs. certain European skaters simply astonishing and utterly, completely annoying.

Yes, but we should keep in mind that the North-American tastes/ cultural bias are usually represented by 2 judges on the panel at best: a Canadian and an American judge.

Figure skating boards are a completely different matter, imo.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joubert's another one I don't get...

I do forgive Evan his faults, I've not seen the LPs so I don't know what people are objecting to, and if it's valid or not, so I've refrained from commenting... I just personally prefer to watch Evan for much teh same reason others prefer Joub or Plush... I find him attractive and I like his programs...(though I haven't LOVED a program since Carmen...:sheesh: )

Medusa

Record Breaker
Can you be more specific? Which European skaters (on this board) do you think we're too harsh while giving Evan the benefit of the doubt?
People justify Evan's high scores with his power, charisma and speed. And how the audience reacts to him. Newsflash: that's what Joubert has too. Evan is neither more musical (my opinion of course), nor more elegant, nor more refined, nor more artistic, his edges aren't significantly better or his general skating skills. The only thing he has over Joubert is that he forces himself through those transition-Nichol-programs. Are those transitions worth the nearly 5 points PCS he got more than Joubert at NHK? Perhaps in bizarro-world.

Where is Jenny Kirk, raging about Lysacek's scores, when someone with phenomenal skating skills, excellent posture and less awkwardness gets 10 points less PCS than Lysacek (Verner 71,10)? I want the outcry! What about Shawn Sawyer, who in his left little finger has more musicality and artistry than a hundred Lysaceks could ever have? He got 12 points less on PCS!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Jenny has a personal connection with Evan that went far more than just fellow countryman ;)

I'm just saying...

Jenny's also in Lake Placid working with Universal Sports (I think that's why she's there), perhaps she just hasn't posted her ranting yet.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Thanks Medusa. As someone who's largely underwhelmed by both, I do think I give Lysacek the edge for the reason you point out - I like that he skates COP (I'm a COP fanboy, as you probably guessed). I do think that's in part the reason why he gets higher scores. Lysacek also landed a 3-3, something Joubert didn't do at NHK (as well as a 3-2-2). Lysacek also had one edge call (a !) to Joubert's 2 (both e). I assume all these things contribute a couple of points to PCS overall. And when we're only talking about a couple points from two different competitions, isn't a bit less meaningful?

I do think Sawyer should've been closer in terms of PCS (mainly because I think Lysacek should've been a bit lower, and Sawyer a bit higher). As for Verner - he was mostly clean, but I think his PCS were about right - he didn't fully commit to the performance and it showed.

i love to skate

Medalist
People justify Evan's high scores with his power, charisma and speed. And how the audience reacts to him. Newsflash: that's what Joubert has too.

I don't see the two of them as having the same characteristics at all. I don't really like either of them that much but I wouldn't say Evan is powerful. Brian is though. Evan has an ability to bring the audience to their feet, sell his programs, and to get the audience committed to his programs. I don't think Joubert has that same quality. I can't remember the last time Brian "brought the house down". If you can direct me to a performance I would gladly watch it and see.

There is a large diversity of nationalities on this board and it is not unsual for people to route for skaters from their home country and against skaters that may be considered a threat to their favourite.

What about Shawn Sawyer, who in his left little finger has more musicality and artistry than a hundred Lysaceks could ever have? He got 12 points less on PCS!

Shawn has musicality but that's about it. He is not even half the skater Evan is - and this coming from someone who is not fond of Evan.

And for the last time will Evan please cut down on the bronzer?! He is starting to become the new Sandhu in terms of makeup! He looks ridiculous with that and the feathers :banging: