Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST

janetfan

Match Penalty
Before there is too much crying, perhaps go back and see what started all this early this morning (here atleast).

It was a post running down Evan and it felt more than unfair.

What type of reaction do some expect? That Evan and Patrick are always overmarked and Plush and Brian are always scored so fairly?

Sensitive folks should ignore some of this, or take it for what it is. I DO feel bad if it causes anyone to get outraged and suggest remembering we are at a skating board and there are far more important things in life than COMPARING scores from DIFFERENT GP competitions.

Who cares if Brian or Plushy had a lower pcs than Evan at different events?
Why run down Evan so harshly and then have the nerve to complain if your comments are returned with a little bit of sarcasm, satire, or even level headed disagreement?

Argue, discuss, express yourself - but don't tell me you are outraged when every third post from across the pond is knocking the socks off a skater or another poster.

Fair play is always best as is freedom of speech. And nothing so wrong with fighting fire with fire if it makes some feel better.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Before there is too much crying, perhaps go back and see what started all this early this morning (here atleast).

It was a post running down Evan and it felt more than unfair.

Unfair!? Joubert has an entire thread running down on him in the main forum, Lysacek just gets a few measly posts here :laugh:

On a more serious note, however, if Joubert and Plush get criticized, I don't see why someone can't do the same for Evan....which appears to be the case here. I don't think anyone's being particularly harsh on Evan or anything at all.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
What does bringing the house down include? The last standing ovations Brian had were last week at NHK.

Perhaps all Sawyer has is his musicality. But to me, that's worth so much. Maybe that's why I like Joubert. He is not really musical, and he knows it and he doesn't pretend to be musical. He can stay on a beat quite well though, that's why he probably choses programs with a simple beat. Denkova / Stavisiki said in an interview, that Brian has problems doing choreography he doesn't understand, to music he doesn't understand. That when he understands the movement, when all makes sense to him - he can easily do it. And I enjoy watching it.

I can barely watch Lysacek on the other hand. He takes on these bombastic classical warhorses, some of them among my favourite pieces. But I never have the feeling that he is on the beat, he thunders himself through his programs, with no understanding for the music, for the melody, for the rhythm. The music is just the background. It's like a soundtrack for a battle. There to underline the glory of the warrior. Lysacek forces the music, among them pieces belonging to the best mankind has ever written, into the role of his servant, his slave. It's fake, it's dissonant and I simply can't stand it.

ks777

Record Breaker
I just watched Ryan Bradley's LP. He really needs to work on his speed. He is just too slow! He needs to bend his knees way more to generate speed. I hope he works on that..

janetfan

Match Penalty
Unfair!? Joubert has an entire thread running down on him in the main forum, Lysacek just gets a few measly posts here :laugh:

On a more serious note, however, if Joubert and Plush get criticized, I don't see why someone can't do the same for Evan....which appears to be the case here. I don't think anyone's being particularly harsh on Evan or anything at all.

I agree - but wonder why when Evan is defended back some claim they are on the verge of a nervous breakdown? Geez, I don't get that at all???

Are we expected to agree with their criticism - anymore than they agree with negative comments on their favorites?

Evan is not even a skater I care much for - but think it is fair to defend him when I see attacks that feel mean spirited and unfair.

i love to skate

Medalist
What does bringing the house down include?

Examples of bringing down the house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQYazYstUeQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yn18wSmEgs

Those two performance give me such goosebumps. Elvis was a master at drawing the audience in and feeding off of them. I have never seen an audience react like that since then. What a fighter.

It's fake, it's dissonant and I simply can't stand it.

And many people can't stand Joubert. Different strokes for different folks!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Watching NBC's rebroadcast in HD right now....who is this french kid?! I love him!
Is it Florent Amodio? Yeah, he's great. Tons of potential but not there yet in terms of consistency. His choreo is by Stanick Jeannette and Alexander Zhulin, I can't remember who did the SP and who did the LP. But it seems like everyone likes his skating and his programs this season. And he's super cute, too.

Florent is the 2008-9 JGPF champion and the 2008-9 French national silver medalist. He's got the inside track for the second French spot in Vancouver, I think, and it'll be fun to see how he develops.

Last edited:
Speaking of Florent, does anybody understand his program? The pieces were nice individually but if there was a connecting them I missed it. LOVE him, though.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Evan's costume is hideous, especially the chest part that is so sheer, you can see his chest. The shoulder pads look awful with those feathers, and whatever else he has sticking out of there.

Medusa

Record Breaker
And many people can't stand Joubert. Different strokes for different folks!
But with Joubert (and Plushenko), the people feel that there dislike is totally justified - and that's how they talk, they think he is nothing but the judge's pet, that politics keep them up there with the other skaters - without politics they wouldn't be contenders etc. Millions and millions of times people repeat hip-thrust (ever seen Latin dance, by the way? Men shake their hips all the time there), finger holding - accuse Joubert of only being up there because he charms "the young girls in the audience" (that was even said by a journalist!).

Nobody ever says "different strokes for different folks" as far as Joubert is concerned - people who like Joubert (or Plushenko) are either completely delusional, hormonal ladies, utterly stupid or paid by the French (Russian) Federation. Or it is the "Evil European Figure Skating Establishment" that keeps them up there, isn't it, janetfan?

But now people are criticising Lysacek, mostly his marks though, and suddenly "different strokes for different folks" rules the day! Next time you all get your knickers in a twist over Joubert's and Plushenko's marks, accusing them of everything short of prostitution, I will simply say "different strokes for different folks", too. And expect that you leave it at that and don't keep trashing them or their marks, like i love to skate expects me to just drop this, because "different strokes for different folks".

janetfan

Match Penalty
Time for some "Live" coverage !!!

Good luck to all the Ladies.

I actually don't mind Evan's new LP. He does much more in second half than most of the guys (his work ethic and conditioning are so strong!) - his jumps get better and his ending, the steps, bring the house down :p

A well constructed program imo.

seniorita

Record Breaker
people who like Joubert (or Plushenko) are either completely delusional, hormonal ladies, utterly stupid or paid by the French (Russian) Federation.

LOL!LOL!And again LOL! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Why nobody paid me???:unsure:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Medusa, reading the Brian Joubert/favouritism thread, I see more people pointing out that the difference was small, that Joubert loses some ground because of the undervaluing of the quad, and most seemed to like his performance at NHK. The big question seemed to be how exactly the judges score, and what contributes in the end (for me anyway). Hardly enough to get into righteous anger over. Especially when you add the fact that most comments here about Lysacek tend to state he was clearly overscored.