Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST

Custom Title
    Can you be more specific? Which European skaters (on this board) do you think we're too harsh while giving Evan the benefit of the doubt?

I assume Plush would be one of them... he's comparable, I think, to Evan in the arm flapping and huge PCS... but I like Evan and I don't like Plush... so that's my guess? Medusa can correct me though

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I assume Plush would be one of them... he's comparable, I think, to Evan in the arm flapping and huge PCS... but I like Evan and I don't like Plush... so that's my guess? Medusa can correct me though
    How much pcs and + goe is Joubert receiving for his pelvic thrust?
    or his childish and tired running man steps?

Patrick and Evan fans want to know??

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Only watched the top four, spent the entire weekend away from the computer - so I'll make it short: this was even more underwhelming than NHK as a competition. And as far as Evan and his PCS are concerned; I totally agree with Buttercup on all, really all, accounts and find this double standard on this and other boards concerning Evan vs. certain European skaters simply astonishing and utterly, completely annoying.
    Yes, but we should keep in mind that the North-American tastes/ cultural bias are usually represented by 2 judges on the panel at best: a Canadian and an American judge.

Figure skating boards are a completely different matter, imo.

Joubert's another one I don't get...

I do forgive Evan his faults, I've not seen the LPs so I don't know what people are objecting to, and if it's valid or not, so I've refrained from commenting... I just personally prefer to watch Evan for much teh same reason others prefer Joub or Plush... I find him attractive and I like his programs...(though I haven't LOVED a program since Carmen...:sheesh: )

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Can you be more specific? Which European skaters (on this board) do you think we're too harsh while giving Evan the benefit of the doubt?
    People justify Evan's high scores with his power, charisma and speed. And how the audience reacts to him. Newsflash: that's what Joubert has too. Evan is neither more musical (my opinion of course), nor more elegant, nor more refined, nor more artistic, his edges aren't significantly better or his general skating skills. The only thing he has over Joubert is that he forces himself through those transition-Nichol-programs. Are those transitions worth the nearly 5 points PCS he got more than Joubert at NHK? Perhaps in bizarro-world.

Where is Jenny Kirk, raging about Lysacek's scores, when someone with phenomenal skating skills, excellent posture and less awkwardness gets 10 points less PCS than Lysacek (Verner 71,10)? I want the outcry! What about Shawn Sawyer, who in his left little finger has more musicality and artistry than a hundred Lysaceks could ever have? He got 12 points less on PCS!

Jenny has a personal connection with Evan that went far more than just fellow countryman

I'm just saying...

Jenny's also in Lake Placid working with Universal Sports (I think that's why she's there), perhaps she just hasn't posted her ranting yet.

Custom Title
    Thanks Medusa. As someone who's largely underwhelmed by both, I do think I give Lysacek the edge for the reason you point out - I like that he skates COP (I'm a COP fanboy, as you probably guessed). I do think that's in part the reason why he gets higher scores. Lysacek also landed a 3-3, something Joubert didn't do at NHK (as well as a 3-2-2). Lysacek also had one edge call (a !) to Joubert's 2 (both e). I assume all these things contribute a couple of points to PCS overall. And when we're only talking about a couple points from two different competitions, isn't a bit less meaningful?

I do think Sawyer should've been closer in terms of PCS (mainly because I think Lysacek should've been a bit lower, and Sawyer a bit higher). As for Verner - he was mostly clean, but I think his PCS were about right - he didn't fully commit to the performance and it showed.

People justify Evan's high scores with his power, charisma and speed. And how the audience reacts to him. Newsflash: that's what Joubert has too.
    I don't see the two of them as having the same characteristics at all. I don't really like either of them that much but I wouldn't say Evan is powerful. Brian is though. Evan has an ability to bring the audience to their feet, sell his programs, and to get the audience committed to his programs. I don't think Joubert has that same quality. I can't remember the last time Brian "brought the house down". If you can direct me to a performance I would gladly watch it and see.

There is a large diversity of nationalities on this board and it is not unsual for people to route for skaters from their home country and against skaters that may be considered a threat to their favourite.

What about Shawn Sawyer, who in his left little finger has more musicality and artistry than a hundred Lysaceks could ever have? He got 12 points less on PCS!
    Shawn has musicality but that's about it. He is not even half the skater Evan is - and this coming from someone who is not fond of Evan.

And for the last time will Evan please cut down on the bronzer?! He is starting to become the new Sandhu in terms of makeup! He looks ridiculous with that and the feathers :banging:

Custom Title

Thanks for the link! Any recent ones??

Custom Title
    No, that's the only one I think fits your criteria.

Before there is too much crying, perhaps go back and see what started all this early this morning (here atleast).

It was a post running down Evan and it felt more than unfair.

What type of reaction do some expect? That Evan and Patrick are always overmarked and Plush and Brian are always scored so fairly?

Sensitive folks should ignore some of this, or take it for what it is. I DO feel bad if it causes anyone to get outraged and suggest remembering we are at a skating board and there are far more important things in life than COMPARING scores from DIFFERENT GP competitions.

Who cares if Brian or Plushy had a lower pcs than Evan at different events?
    Why run down Evan so harshly and then have the nerve to complain if your comments are returned with a little bit of sarcasm, satire, or even level headed disagreement?

Argue, discuss, express yourself - but don't tell me you are outraged when every third post from across the pond is knocking the socks off a skater or another poster.

Fair play is always best as is freedom of speech. And nothing so wrong with fighting fire with fire if it makes some feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    No, that's the only one I think fits your criteria.
    Thanks very much then! I appreciate you digging that up for me

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Who cares if Brian or Plushy had a lower pcs than Evan at different events?
    There is obviously people who do care.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast