Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudkicker09 View Post
    What?
    SWEIN = So What Else Is New?

CCTV5 is showing men
    http://cctv-live-cctv1.wm.llnwd.net/...ive_cctv5?.wma
    pop it into the media player

I have to thank NBC/Univ Sports for all the coverage. Totally made up for my trip to Lake Placid falling through.

However! Scott Hamilton was especially irritating in the Men's comps. "Nicely landed!" has replaced his former "HA-HA-HA" every time somebody lands a jump. But what's worse, he kept calling a jump fabulous right after takeoff, only to have the skater splat. If you can't call a takeoff, stop trying, Scott!

Plus, I hated that audience poll of favorite SA men's champions from the past. Way to insult Eldridge, Weiss and Boitano (or was it Orser), not to mention Takahashi and Oda. Apparently Scott got 80% of the vote because of his commentating role.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I liked Bradley's LP alot and he makes the classical music work so well .
    He destroyed the classical music so well, I should say. I feel that classical music and Bradley cannot mix up. I was impressed by his jumps this time though, and he has the talent for entertaining the audience.

Congratulations to the podium winners! The door bell rang while Evan was skating, I missed half of it. So cannot comment on that for now. I expect him to win of course. Whoelse could challenge him if Tomas was sick? Is he really that tan or just make-up? It looked so bad. I hate his costume, but I have to admit that for the first time, his costume has emphasized and showed he actually has curve.

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    He destroyed the classical music so well, I should say. I feel that classical music and Bradley cannot mix up. I was impressed by his jumps this time though, and he has the talent for entertaining the audience.

Congratulations to the podium winners! The door bell rang while Evan was skating, I missed half of it. So cannot comment on that for now. I expect him to win of course. Whoelse could challenge him if Tomas was sick? Is he really that tan or just make-up? It looked so bad. I hate his costume, but I have to admit that for the first time, his costume has emphasized and showed he actually has curve.
    I think Bradley is sort of doing a gentle satire on the music, and how skaters have used it in the past.
    I found it utterly charming.

You would prefer Bradley to use a pelvic thrust?

Now Mroz - that boy and Beethoven do NOT go together imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    He destroyed the classical music so well, I should say.
    Yes. Both he and Shawn chopped up Mozart pieces like mincemeat. But Shawn takes Mozart seriously, Ryan made fun of the music. I mean, he was irresistible and I enjoyed his skate, but Shawn is the one who made me exclaim to my husband, "THIS is figure skating! Yea!" That's a great program. (And it was wonderful to see Shawn's joy after he finished.)

Custom Title
    Exactly. He did that so well. Though I wasn't, and am not his fan of any of his modern programs.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    What Joubert,Plush, and Evan all have is the showmanship gravity that pulls the audience eyes them; that look at me aura; The movements are not musical but they are big. Shawn has a great ;musical program but he has no "gravity"; Theres a difference between being artistic and selling your program and the judges are always going for the sell;(no matter what the quality is)
    Last edited by enlight78; 11-15-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    The music is just the background. It's like a soundtrack for a battle. There to underline the glory of the warrior. Lysacek forces the music, among them pieces belonging to the best mankind has ever written, into the role of his servant, his slave. It's fake, it's dissonant and I simply can't stand it.
    then he's pretty dang powerful.... maybe that's why I'm drawn to him

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I like Bradley's program but he skates SO SLOW. His basic skating is almost painful to watch, I'm sorry.

He lacks technique on the jumps too. His Quads are barely rotated and all of his other Triples look burdensome. His 3Axel is the only jump that sometimes looks good. He gets massive height on it and there is something about the forward takeoff to the Axel that makes his wild technique somewhat appealing for that jump.

The spins are not a strong point either.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Oh yes please.

How many times will I read the pelvic thrust joke?And the finger? I laughed the first time, the second, the third also...the hundredth it is not so funny. If all you see in a skater is this, fine..But If plushenko and Joubert got standing ovations and high pcs and so many medals in their career only because of their pelvic thrusts, why doesnt Evan do the same to be an Olympic Champion, it looks so much easy to shake your hips a la Beyonce...
    But maybe then he would not bring the house down, he would bring the house --->out.
    Voila, a shallow moment...

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    However, I like Evan as a person.
    Evan-as-a-person certainly does not help me appreciate him either.

I'm not going to get into why I dislike him as a person (better not start any "rumors" ), but even during skating press conferences you can see his snide attitude come through at times.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Oh yes please.

How many times will I read the pelvic thrust joke?And the finger? I laughed the first time, the second, the third also...the hundredth it is not so funny. If all you see in a skater is this, fine..But If plushenko and Joubert got standing ovations in their career only because of their pelvic thrusts, why doesnt Evan do the same to be an Olympic Champion, it looks so much easy to shake your hips a la Beyonce...
    But maybe then he would not bring the house down, he would bring the house --->out.
    Voila, a shallow moment...
    Yes, it would appear not only shallow but not very accurate either. And I would need a computer, possibly two computers to keep tract of the Evan bashing from the friendly frauleins across the pond.

Just don't pick on Tomas, OK? He is probably my favorite guy and he seems to have enough problems without any "shallow moments" being directed his way.

When the pelvic thrust and fingers go away then I gues people won't comment and tease about them. And you never saw Bradley's thrust? Did you even read the post to see how it came up?

But as somebody said earlier,
    Different strokes for different folks.

Yes, it would appear not only shallow but not very accurate either. And I would need a computer, possibly two computers to keep tract of the Evan bashing from the friendly frauleins across the pond.
    Your posts are starting to sound contradictory. There were also not more than 3 people from Europe who were clearly criticising Evan in this thread.

The expression "Fräulein" in Germany was originally meant to distinguish married women from unmarried women. These days it's an insult, because it was often used to belittle and ridicule girls, younger women and unmarried older women. It's a condescending and patronising expression, meant to lower the value of women's opinions and intellectual abilities. You used it just like that. It's by the way outdated, if used in public every woman can demand an official apology from the offender.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    He takes on these bombastic classical warhorses, some of them among my favourite pieces... he thunders himself through his programs, with no understanding for the music, for the melody, for the rhythm. The music is just the background. It's like a soundtrack for a battle. There to underline the glory of the warrior.
    = the formula for winning an Olympic medal. What I don't understand is the competors who would rather be musical and artsy than win an Olympic medal. They can be musical and artsy when they go on their victory tour after the Olympics.

First things first. Skate to Carmen.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast