Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Men's LP Saturday Nov 14th 9:00 p.m EST

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    I would object to someone I didn't know calling me "dear"... It can come across quite condescending.
    Heh. I call my friends "dear" and "boyo." It's not meant to be condescending. Anyway, I do think janetfan meant it in a way to indicate familiarity, not superiority. That's how I took it.

lol I think janetfan just meant it in the "German woman" way. I wouldn't have known it would be offensive, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    and Ryan's a cutie-patootie!
    I forget exactly what Scott said about Ryan's program - something like -
    "this program brings us a shameless joy that can only be found in figure skating and no other sport."

Sorry if my quote is not quite right but I thoughht Scott's actual description was perfect

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    IMO the level of touchiness on this board is getting ridiculous. How about not taking offense when none was intended, and giving each other the benefit of the doubt?

I can't count the number of times I've been called miss, dear, darling, honey, sugar, a diminutive form of my name that I never use myself, forms of my married name that I never use, and so on. Sure, there are times when it's mildly objectionable. But usually it's a case of generational or cultural differences, poor memory, or obliviousness. Sometimes it even has a certain regional charm. I really don't see any point in getting all worked up about it - especially here. Can't we talk about figure skating in peace? Or go to the Cafe or Political forum.

Of course, this is JMO.

So let me get this straight. "Fraulein" is what we American soldiers are supposed to call a woman in Germany when we are offering her a chocolate bar to "get on her good side?"

Not, "hey, babe?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    Sounds like a joke from one of these barely funny corny-joke-books

Where and when did this happen? And I suppose you drank them anyway, yes?
    ja - I drank them and the bartender and I had a nice laugh about it. He said, "oh, you want "James Bond" martini, which he made for me and did not charge me for.

This was in 1993 in Karlsruhe.

For non German speakers - "drei" prounounced like our "dry" is the German word for "three." Thus a "dry martini" ordered in parts of Germany may get you three vermouths.....
    Last edited by janetfan; 11-15-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    So let me get this straight. "Fraulein" is what we American soldiers are supposed to call a woman in Germany when we are offering her a chocolate bar to "get on her good side?"

Not, "hey, babe?"
    It depends what type of woman we are talking about

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    Wikipedia lists "Mademoiselle". Is that offensive?

People don't even call me "little lady". They just ask for my ID card...
    Forget the ID card. You I would check for weapons

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I forget exactly what Scott said about Ryan's program - something like -
    "this program brings us a shameless joy that can only be found in figure skating and no other sport."
    I think it's great that Scott enjoys Ryan's program... If Kurt and Scott are both enjoying what he has to bring I think that says a lot for his showmanship...

but I'm biased

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Heh. I call my friends "dear" and "boyo." It's not meant to be condescending. Anyway, I do think janetfan meant it in a way to indicate familiarity, not superiority. That's how I took it.
    I don't mind if someone I know well and have a longstanding relationship calls me dear. That's why I said "someone I don't know".

Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    Ryan even skated in Kati Witts good bye tour by recommendation of Brian Boitano, so he really has a lot of fans among the alltime greats
    Now I must make a confession of one of my most guilt ridden and closely guarded figure skating secrets

In 1984 I rooted for Katerina and NOT Roz Sumners. Once I saw Kat I just coudn't be against such a beautiful young girl

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Forget the ID card. You I would check for weapons
    Are you serious? I can't believe I have to put up with your insinuation that I'm violent or criminal. You have no business talking at me like that, and a lot of nerve. If you didn't believe I'd be offended, you're off your rockers and should rethink that possibility.

Kiiiiidding. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Evan-as-a-person certainly does not help me appreciate him either.

I'm not going to get into why I dislike him as a person (better not start any "rumors" ), but even during skating press conferences you can see his snide attitude come through at times.
    I have to completely agree, I cannot stand Evan as a skater or as a person, he just comes off as such a jerk, whenever I see his interviews.

Also I cannot stand his LP costume, the sheer chest, the shoulder pads with what appears to be lace and feathers? Yuck.
    Last edited by cloudkicker09; 11-15-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    Are you serious? I can't believe I have to put up with your insinuation that I'm violent or criminal. You have no business talking at me like that, and a lot of nerve. If you didn't believe I'd be offended, you're off your rockers and should rethink that possibility.

Kiiiiidding. :-)

I think you are very DANGEROUS

Quote Originally Posted by cloudkicker09 View Post
    I have to completly agree, I cannot Evan as a skater or as a person, he jsut comes off as such a jerk whenever I see his interviews or public apperances.

Also I cannot stand his LP costume, the sheer chest, the shoulder pads with what appears to be lace and feathers? Yuck.
    I am not sure if I understand you? Are you saying you don't like Evan, or still making up your mind about him

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast