Ladies SP Saturday Nov 14th 7:00 p.m. EST: | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP Saturday Nov 14th 7:00 p.m. EST:

R.D.

Record Breaker
She is clearly the best of the night but for real, she does not need a whooping 76.28 to win. It's ridiculous. They're all doing the same elements, with the exception of the 3-3.

Just FedEx her the gold already...let everyone else battle it out for the remaining spots.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Actually I made this original comment about URbefore the scores came up. Are you referring to Kim's pretentious behaviour or mine? I am confused.

(S)he's calling anyone who disagrees with the judging pretentious (yes, even those that think that Yu-Na should have won by a mile but not by a WR)

thumbyskates

Rinkside
No they are judging rotation. Judges are the ones who decided, GOE wise whether the jump is UR or not. They make the choice individually and mark according to what they think is right. Before, the caller would decide and the judges would ALL HAVE to mark accordingly to what the tech called. Judges now don't see the UR mark until protocols are out.

The caller is still the one who decides whether the jump is a triple or double for base value. The judges can think in their own minds whether it was under rotated or not, but they are not given the official call. Their GOEs reflect the execution of the jump and unless it's an obvious cheat, the GOE is not affected.

I know. I am a judge.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Just FedEx her the gold already...let everyone else battle it out for the remaining spots.

Thankfully, the competition for second and third is quite tight (both here and at the Olympics) and should make for a worthwhile competition.

jan

On the Ice
The caller is still the one who decides whether the jump is a triple or double for base value. The judges can think in their own minds whether it was under rotated or not, but they are not given the official call. Their GOEs reflect the execution of the jump and unless it's an obvious cheat, the GOE is not affected.

I know. I am a judge.

You are correct!!

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Judging by what I just saw I take it that Emily Hughes is not going to make the Olympic team. Personally, I never saw the what all of the hype was about anyways. I feel that the only reason she was 'hyped' is because she is Sarah Hughes' little sister, and all through Torino they media kept asking if lightning would strike twice.

But I am sorry to see that Alex did not do as well, I was hoping that she was going to really present her case to be considered a serious contender for the olympic team. At this rate it is going to be Rachel and or either Carolina Zhang or Miri Nagasu.

jan

On the Ice
(S)he's calling anyone who disagrees with the judging pretentious (yes, even those that think that Yu-Na should have won by a mile but not by a WR)

I was just making a technical comment regarding her jump combo. she is my favorite skater.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice

I know. I am a judge.

I know that as well but the judges' individual opinions on UR are respected moreso since the changes, hence GOEs will vary as opposed to the straight -3s.

herro

On the Ice
I think it depends on the camera angle.... Anyway, I hate she pretentious behavior everytime the new WR comes up... Stop doing that...

Hello? Pretentious? Wait, you ARE talking about Yeon-A right? Are you kidding? So many people say that she is so humble and I agree with them! When I see her reactions to her scores, she seems nothing but genuinely happy and humble. When she shakes her head, it's her shaking her head at disbelief at the high score she got, not pretentious behavior. I hope you know what that word even means.

I apologize if you're not talking about Yeon-A, but if you are, I think you need to go back and think about it again.

Sorry I'm being harsh, but that comment kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

amateur

Final Flight
Judging by what I just saw I take it that Emily Hughes is not going to make the Olympic team. Personally, I never saw the what all of the hype was about anyways. I feel that the only reason she was 'hyped' is because she is Sarah Hughes' little sister, and all through Torino they media kept asking if lightning would strike twice.

Well of course you can't escape the Hughes' name recognition... but to be fair to Emily, she did have some good accomplishments of her own - did she not medal at Junior Worlds? and a very respectable topp 10 in the Olympics. So she created some of her own "hype", if you want to call it that, simply by being a good competitor, whatever her limitations. Of course the media would play things up too much though with the "lightning striking twice" stuff... but that is simply what the media does... best to ignore it.

beep_beep

Medalist