Ladies SP Saturday Nov 14th 7:00 p.m. EST: | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP Saturday Nov 14th 7:00 p.m. EST:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Given how she has performed internationally, during the last few opportunities she has been given, there is no way that she is going to make the Olympic team.

I think you're right, but the reason I'm not going to say it's impossible is because I didn't think Czisny stood a chance last year, and look what happened? She WON the thing!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Great music! I can actually imagine Kozuka and Abbott skating to it. :love:

All good versions they lined but for skaters I would prefer the original because of the orchestral accompampaniment. Much more color and contrast for a skater and audience to relate to.

herro

On the Ice
I think this comment says it all...

:p:p:p

lol sorry I got a little dramatic - I tend to do that a lot. :)

But I mean, being Asian that kind of stuff is misunderstood a lot, you know? A lot of Asians like to be humble at their achievements and I'm sure some people would take that as being arrogant or even pretentious. I mean, if she started to make number 1 motions in the air with her fingers and jumping up and down only, I would think she's an arrogant girl, but I like that she shakes her head in disbelief at her own abilities.

On another note, I found Rachael's program pretty delightful. I had little faith in her artistry before, but for some reason, during her step sequence tonight I was drawn in. It was cute, but also very captivating. Good job girl!

prettykeys

Medalist
It's telling that lakeshore was hoping for YuNa to "bomb" and wants to cheer on a middle-of-the-pack skater like Mira Leung.

Some people have inferiority complexes and hate greatness...

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
lol sorry I got a little dramatic - I tend to do that a lot. :)

But I mean, being Asian that kind of stuff is misunderstood a lot, you know? A lot of Asians like to be humble at their achievements and I'm sure some people would take that as being arrogant or even pretentious. I mean, if she started to make number 1 motions in the air with her fingers and jumping up and down only, I would think she's an arrogant girl, but I like that she shakes her head in disbelief at her own abilities.
LOL

Yeah, it's okay. Just telling you not to get too worked up--sometimes you have to realize when you're not dealing with a reasonable person.

SusieH

On the Ice
i feel sorry for yu-na; at first she only had to worry about beating mao; Now her biggest rival is her WR world record and after breaking it three times in a row everyone is watching her; i was so nervous and i could feel her tension and nervousness; like she now feels the pressure to break everytime; its huge; no one skates clean everytime. She is gonna be a mess at the gp final . I hope not ; like my sassy yuna

I don't think she considers her biggest rival her world record. Orser looks like a level-headed coach. He won't let her do that.

I love her skating and I'm very happy to see her perform well, but I must say this breaking world record thing has become kind of ridiculous. OK, judges, I got it that you all love her, but don't let her break WR everytime! It makes me nervous watching her.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think Rachel's 3t was rotated before she fell so maybe that is why her tech scores were better than folks think they should have been. And she really did sell the program. I do think that maybe Julia should be in second in the SP. Close though.

Yuna did under rotate a bit. I wonder why she gets away with it and Mirai gets zinged. Also her layback is not that good. The rest of the program is great and I don't think she PCS are out of line.

I think Fumie should take up speedskating and I miss her scratch spin.

I don't get the fuss over Alexe. She skates like a junior.

R.D.

Record Breaker
And it more often than not just backfires on them by causing even more resentment....

How true that is. I wish ALL uber-fans (of any skater, not just Yuna) would read this and think again before jumping all over someone who doesn't share their view...

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't think she considers her biggest rival her world record. Orser looks like a level-headed coach. He won't let her do that.

I love her skating and I'm very happy to see her perform well, but I must say this breaking world record thing has become kind of ridiculous. OK, judges, I got it that you all love her, but don't let her break WR everytime! It makes me nervous watching her.

I can see your point - but a more honest opinion is that Yuna did not belong int his group of girls tonight. She is way to good for them and better than the score differencial.

herro

On the Ice

Lol, I miss Fumie's scratch spins too! They really did a good job of getting a "wow" reaction out of the audience right at the end of the program. She's skating pretty well, but she needs to become a bit more of a CoP-robot. :laugh:

Alexe is a bit juniorish, but I think she has the potential if you look at some of her more successful programs. Her jumps are clean when they're done properly. She has pretty good technique. I'd say she may very well become the next big thing for US ladies skating in a couple of years.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yuna did under rotate a bit. I wonder why she gets away with it and Mirai gets zinged.

Yu-Na is world champion and clearly the class of the entire ladies' field, it's not surprising that she gets the benefit of the doubt by the technical caller. Also, to me, Mirai's UR-ing is MUCH more obvious than Yu-Na's by a long, long mile....

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think Rachel's 3t was rotated before she fell so maybe that is why her tech scores were better than folks think they should have been. And she really did sell the program. I do think that maybe Julia should be in second in the SP. Close though.

Yuna did under rotate a bit. I wonder why she gets away with it and Mirai gets zinged. Also her layback is not that good. The rest of the program is great and I don't think she PCS are out of line.

I dont get the fuss over Rachael. I liked Julia and Fumie better tonight.

prettykeys

Medalist
Personally I don't think scores are that big of a deal. So when you break your own WR by half a point or whatever, it's really not worth getting worked up about. :laugh:

herro

On the Ice
And it more often than not just backfires on them by causing even more resentment....

Well, I understand where you're coming from, but part of the problem is that there are so many uber-Yuna fans around that it's hard to tell apart who's making a normal observation from someone who's crazy about Yuna and wishes everyone else bad luck. I mean I feel like the minute someone starts to defend Yuna strongly, everyone thinks he's one of "those" people.

On the other hand, I actually loved Julia's program. It's amazing that she's actually gotten a consistent SP going. Her LP's less reliable though...

Enthusiast

On the Ice
SerpentineSteps, it's okay to love underdogs, but let's watch everyone with a clear head dahhling... It's really funny, when S/S led over M/T and D/D in the SP @ TEB, you were upset and making ridiculous comments about pairs being too predictable, skating should be less predictable, blah blah blah... But S/S bombed the LP, and,well... you can finish the end of that sentence

ETA: Rachael Flatt did not deserve that score. Her flutz has appeared again, expectedly.

Last edited:

skfan

Final Flight
i still like alexe 2nd best behind yeonah at this event. i don't care about the jumps. but darn if her hopes for one of the oly spots didn't just vaporize like her nerves.

very happy for julie sebestyen and fumie suguri and their strong skates. first time seeing tugba and i like her a lot--if her long is also choreographed by kurt all the better.