Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Pairs LP, Saturday Nov. 14th 3:45 p.m EST

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Ummm, it's called being objective. Just because people have criticisms about their program and performance doesn't mean they don't think S/Z are a great pair. I prefer to look at skating this way and not through rose coloured glasses...
    No, it's no more "objective" than any other opinion.

Custom Title
    Ummm, it's called being objective. Just because people have criticisms about their program and performance doesn't mean they don't think S/Z are a great pair. I prefer to look at skating this way and not through rose coloured glasses...
    The objectivity is called into question because speed is not that subjective an observation. Shen and Zhao clearly, by any objective measure, cannot be described as having "little speed".

Quote Originally Posted by nevergonnadance View Post
    The objectivity is called into question because speed is not that subjective an observation. Shen and Zhao clearly, by any objective measure, cannot be described as having "little speed".
    Really? You don't think they have little speed on their side by side double axels? That's exactly the reason he didn't land it! Even the commentators stated this. In the exits from their lifts - especially the first one - they are practically at a stand still!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkxdNEWZzIQ

Quote Originally Posted by yqs100 View Post
    no matter how good Shen & Zhao perform, those people seem have similar words "little speed" "rusty" "overrated" blah blah...whatever....can they be a bit innovative?,
    I've only seen little speed written on this thread, but in any case once in a while EVERY skater/team suffers from a lack of speed... especially if one or both are sick.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    If you will look at the blurring of the logos on the boards behind S&Z while they go into their first axel, you will see that they are fast. During the second axel, they change direction and skate towards the boards, directly away from the camera. It is impossible to tell from the video how fast they were or were not, just because their direction of travel is parallel to the line of sight of the camera.

If the commentator was working from this video ( most commentators are just using the venue- supplied TV feed-they aren't any more able to tell how fast they are skating during that segment than you and I are.) Judging speed from filmed coverage that focuses on the skater is notoriously unreliable.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-15-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I've only seen little speed written on this thread, but in any case once in a while EVERY skater/team suffers from a lack of speed... especially if one or both are sick.
    No, not every team suffers from a lack of speed once in awhile. It's all relative. S/Z were not at their fastest, possibly because they were tired, but they did not suffer from any "lack of speed" by any objective measure. Slower than their usual is still excellent speed for any pairs team.

Custom Title
    Really? You don't think they have little speed on their side by side double axels? That's exactly the reason he didn't land it! Even the commentators stated this. In the exits from their lifts - especially the first one - they are practically at a stand still!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkxdNEWZzIQ
    They were described as having "little speed" ESPECIALLY element exits and entrances - IOW, little speed overall. Which was not the case.

... as Doris pointed out you can't truly tell with the coverage provided, were you there and by there I mean 'objectively sitting in your seat' or is there a relative term for that too?

... as Doris pointed out you can't truly tell with the coverage provided, were you there and by there I mean 'objectively sitting in your seat' or is there a relative term for that too?

So I guess from this discussion it's apparent that no one can ever say that a skater was a little bit on the slow side ever again

I get where Doris is coming from... Evan has appeared really slow to me this year, but I know from other's comments about having issues photographing him this year that he can't be any slower than in previous years (hardest skater I've tried to photograph, that's for sure). I was merely pointing out in my post before hers that it isn't inconcevable for a skater/team to be slower in ONE competition (OMG! blasphemer!) due to illness or injury

but what do I know it's all objective, there's not relativity.

I was merely pointing out in my post before hers that it isn't inconcevable for a skater/team to be slower in ONE competition (OMG! blasphemer!) due to illness or injury

but what do I know it's all objective, there's not relativity.
    good post!

Custom Title
    Relatively speaking, their LP was slower than their SP. However, their SP was wicked fast, so lets not forget that context.

Now, I have a dilemma! I love S/Z's short program but I love P/T's freeskate! Who to cheer for to win OGM!?

pray for another co-gold medal podium?

Custom Title
    Haha I hope not! Also, can Z/Z please change their FS outfits? Hao Zhang looks like he's wearing a mankini

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    Who to cheer for to win OGM!?
    S/Z who else??!!! No subjectivness here

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7