Pairs LP, Saturday Nov. 14th 3:45 p.m EST | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP, Saturday Nov. 14th 3:45 p.m EST

amateur

Final Flight
I'd hardly say that S & Z had to skate earlier than anticipated.. D/B did get more than half of their program in, and then with the pause for the WD decision, and V/M's extra mini warmup, the schedule should have barely been off at all.

I noticed their 3twist was uncharacteristically low - are they struggling with that, now that he's "getting up there" in age, or was it more just a fluke on a bit of an off-day?

Hikaru

Final Flight
maybe it was a fluke... of the two competitions, I've seen their twist as high as in 2003, yesterday's was very high imo

gold12345

Medalist
I don't understand the Shen/Zhao overscore. These competitions aren't lifetime achievement awards here. You can properly award them the win without giving them 127 points for a skate that had multiple errors.

I noticed their 3twist was uncharacteristically low - are they struggling with that, now that he's "getting up there" in age, or was it more just a fluke on a bit of an off-day?

It's rather late in the program, when they are more tired.

Their 3twist in the short is bigger because it's at the beginning of the program.

Last edited:

amateur

Final Flight
Paraphrasing the Scott Russel of CBC interview with Duhamel and Buntin: apparently she did twist her foot on a botched throw take-off during the warm-up... possibly re-aggravating an older injury. It was completely numb to her and she wasn't even going to start the program, but gave it a try.. also had considered stopping halfway through, before that throw.
She claims she knows how to deal with this injury, has a history with it... and they both show steely resolve to continue on course with ther training... Says her head is OK

herios

Medalist
Duhamel may have hurt herself during the warm up. She was moving her leg oddly before.

we just saw an interview with them on skatebuzz. You are correct, Meagan had her foot stack in the ice in the warm up on the throw attempt and she reinjured herself, and she basically skated on a numb foot?
That was a dumb decision in my opinion, she could have hurt herself really badly. i knew she is a trooper, but she took an insane decision even to start

herios

Medalist
Paraphrasing the Scott Russel of CBC interview with Duhamel and Buntin: apparently she did twist her foot on a botched throw take-off during the warm-up... possibly re-aggravating an older injury. It was completely numb to her and she wasn't even going to start the program, but gave it a try.. also had considered stopping halfway through, before that throw.
She claims she knows how to deal with this injury, has a history with it... and they both show steely resolve to continue on course with ther training... Says her head is OK

You are a faster typer than me;)

i love to skate

Medalist
Talking on CBC - when S/Z went to their first World Championships Dube and Davison were only 8 and 10 years old! :laugh: Quite the lengthy career...

amateur

Final Flight
Were S/Z "overscored"?? I'm not caring enough about mere points to consider it. I guess there really were multiple mistakes, but as far as I'm concerned, you can give that program 150+ when clean and well-skated. The best thing I've seen in years. (I will perhaps calm down from this fanatical enthusiasm later though, and maybe look at the protocols to form a real analysis ;-) )

i love to skate

Medalist
Were S/Z "overscored"?? I'm not caring enough about mere points to consider it. I guess there really were multiple mistakes, but as far as I'm concerned, you can give that program 150+ when clean and well-skated. The best thing I've seen in years. (I will perhaps calm down from this fanatical enthusiasm later though, and maybe look at the protocols to form a real analysis ;-) )

IMO, they were definetly overscored. They have little speed....especially coming out of their jumps and the exits of their lifts. Their twist wasn't as good today and their spins are still below average. In their PCS, they received three 9s and the score was higher than S/S at last years Worlds :rolleye: please

They are a great pair, don't get me wrong but they did not deserve this score.

beep_beep

Medalist
I don't understand the Shen/Zhao overscore. These competitions aren't lifetime achievement awards here. You can properly award them the win without giving them 127 points for a skate that had multiple errors.

It's not like they are the only ones to get massive scores on faulty programs beacuse they were overall much better than the rest of the competition. Look at S/S at 2008 worlds. (who are, BTW, changing their FS, thank god)

amateur

Final Flight
IMO, they were definetly overscored. They have little speed....especially coming out of their jumps and the exits of their lifts. Their twist wasn't as good today and their spins are still below average. In their PCS, they received three 9s and the score was higher than S/S at last years Worlds :rolleye: please

They are a great pair, don't get me wrong but they did not deserve this score.

The protocols are up already? I'm happy to hear they got some 9's in PCS - I would not hesitate, particularly for choreo (...ok ok even if I'm not a qualified judge)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Three nines, two of them in P/E? Really? I love Shen/Zhao and if they deserve to win at the Olympics, I'll be glad for them, but that's too much.

yqs100

On the Ice
Thanks Shen/Zhao bring back what Pairs really need to show........

The jet lag affected them a bit...but thats ok......im sure they will be better and better:love:

hongligl

Final Flight
Hongbo was sick, stomach problem and vomit, and he slept only 3 hours last night. That was why there was a little bit of energy problem. But he managed to have gone through the program. Still very good for the night but not as good as they've trained.