Ladies LP Sun Nov. 15th 2:00 PM-4:00 PM | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP Sun Nov. 15th 2:00 PM-4:00 PM

kyla2

Final Flight
A Travesty

No, this isn't a reasonable or logical outcome. In a reasonable figure skating world, Yu Na would not have won. She is overscored to begin with but this is laughable. All those errors were significant and should have cost her the win. What a joke figure skating has become and how sad. You can be sure at least 2/3rds of the people attending could not understand this result and rightly so. It's really not worth watching anymore.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
If a skater with a free skate like that wins the Olympics, there has to be something wrong with the judging system.
I could totally see that happening say Yuna scores 76+ in the SP, while the rest score high 50's to low 60's.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
If a skater with a free skate like that wins the Olympics, there has to be something wrong with the judging system.

I think a bigger problem will be to explain that to the general public, especially if Rochette and Flatt deliver.

babyalligator

On the Ice
well, i am certainly glad that yuna is getting the bugs and jitters out now instead of having an olympics meltdown...if anything, I think this performance lowers the pressure on her; she is not infallible. She will make mistakes like any other skater out there and that's ok because she is a human being.

setting aside her jumps, however, i really loved the step sequence this time around...

herro

On the Ice
No, this isn't a reasonable or logical outcome. In a reasonable figure skating world, Yu Na would not have won. She is overscored to begin with but this is laughable. All those errors were significant and should have cost her the win. What a joke figure skating has become and how sad. You can be sure at least 2/3rds of the people attending could not understand this result and rightly so. It's really not worth watching anymore.

Oh no. Well, it sounds like it'd be hard to convince you otherwise, but please. Do me one favor. After the protocols are out, go and look at every single element and the GOEs. Compare them between skaters. And then make your decision.

What is sad is that figure skating has become such a jumping competition. Remember, other elements count.

lakeshore

Match Penalty

Her SP score is also too high. No male skater could score 76 with a 2A. Remember male skaters' component marks are much higher female skaters'.

The COP is a travesty. Another tool to fool people.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Well, one of my questions got answered today, and that was how Yuna deals with pressure situations. But the SP is key...another 76 and I think she has a comfortable enough lead to hold on even with a couple of mistakes.

Which is why I'm giving the judges the stink eye when I watch them get introduce through my feed. The SP requires the ladies to do nearly the same elements. Where in the world are they getting the scores? Yes, Yuna deserved to win the SP but really, the lead need not be that big. Outcomes like this are detrimental to the sport.

cornell08

Final Flight
Three double axels is alright since one of them is a DOUBLE AXEL TRIPLE. And she normally actually does a beautiful 3-3 in addition. So I wouldn't say its a travesty...just her execution, which was more of a shame, but I know Yuna will regroup.

herro

On the Ice
well, i am certainly glad that yuna is getting the bugs and jitters out now instead of having an olympics meltdown...if anything, I think this performance lowers the pressure on her; she is not infallible. She will make mistakes like any other skater out there and that's ok because she is a human being.

setting aside her jumps, however, i really loved the step sequence this time around...

I agree. She is human after all. There was no way she was going to skate perfect performances at every single competition up to the Olympics. But again, because of her overall skating strength, she can still win most competitions even with a couple of mistakes. CoP is a total point system, so it's perfectly possible. Hope she's not too disappointed. There's always the GPF to prove herself again.

Congrats to the other skaters too! :)

prettykeys

Medalist
Oh no. Well, it sounds like it'd be hard to convince you otherwise, but please. Do me one favor. After the protocols are out, go and look at every single element and the GOEs. Compare them between skaters. And then make your decision.

What is sad is that figure skating has become such a jumping competition. Remember, other elements count.
You're talking to someone who specifically crept out of the woodworks to say something negative. ;)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Of course, her bad score is still 25 points ahead of Miki @ NHK, 11 ahead of Suzuki, and 16 ahead of Miki @ Rostelcom.

ks777

Record Breaker
How many triple did Yuna really land? I thought she did only 2 triples. Am I the only one think her first 3Lutz looked really underrotated?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yuna wouldn't be perfect all the time- that's a given- but I did not expect her to have this near-meltdown. But her SP score carried her...Flatt beat her in the free!! I wouldn't have thought that in a million years. What a confidence booster that has to be- although Flatt maxed out her potential in that skate imo- her spins didn't seem that great to me- kinda slow.

magicalwords

On the Ice
3 downgrades must be a record for Yuna?
And wow! no downgrades for Rachael in both programs. Keep on going Rachael!

enlight78

Medalist
Ok if someone wins after bombing the short and doing the long perfectly it is great job
but if someone who exelled in the short but blew the long it is a travesty
whats with the double standerd; it is COP not 6.0; the bombing the short is just and bad as bombing the long when it comes to points

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Three double axels is alright since one of them is a DOUBLE AXEL TRIPLE. And she normally actually does a beautiful 3-3 in addition. So I wouldn't say its a travesty...just her execution, which was more of a shame, but I know Yuna will regroup.

I wasn't talking about Yuna-s 2axel-triple toe. I was talking about the fact that everyone, except Rachael, are doing 3 axels. The strategy is "good" if you:

1. can do them exceedingly well, like Yuna
2. are missing a triple because of faulty technique.

However, Rachael is the only skater to attempt all the jumps from different take offs. We see missing loops, missing lutzes, missing flips. Either the 2a gets zayaked or better create a bonus for skaters like Joannie Rochette and Carolina Kostner who can do all jumps.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to YuNa, Racheal and Julia. Surprised at YuNa's meltdown so unlike her but it happens. Rachael performed the heck out of her LP, good for her. I was impressed.

krenseby

Final Flight

Kyla, I will reserve judgment about whether Yuna is overscored or not in the SP: however, I do think the commentators owe it to us, the viewers, to explain why Kim's SP scores so well.

This is crucial because if it isn't apparent, people will start thinking that it has to do with favoritism. And for most of the audience, I assume it won't be apparent at all.

Also, I wonder if other skaters' SPs are simply undermarked because the judges are somehow not as generous, though they could justifiably be.