Ladies LP Sun Nov. 15th 2:00 PM-4:00 PM | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP Sun Nov. 15th 2:00 PM-4:00 PM

prettykeys

Medalist
1) LOL as if "another Mao" is supposed to be bad. Mao is still one of the top skating phenoms in the world.

2) YuNa has a mental fixation on the 3flip specifically in her LP, stemming from the TEB incident with the uneven ice (something she could not have controlled.) We will just have to see how she deals with it. :thumbsup:

enlight78

Medalist
Really? I don't think so. She did it well in both of her SPs and looking at the fact that she had it combo every year before this one (and the reason for the switch had nothing to do with the fact that she had a tremendous problem with the jump either) I don't really agree. I think it is a mental problem stemming from the fact that she missed it at TEB. I'm more worried that she messed up on her 3-3 at the beginning. I'd like to know what happened there.

I think she was focus on the triple flip and skating clean so she was tense and distracted

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
I heard that the entrance to the flip has been changed after the TEB. She's probably not used to it yet. And since she was too concerned about the flip, she might have messed up all together.

Yuna is still doing the same entrance; 3 turn. The problem came at the landing. It looked like her foot got caught when she landed.

lakeshore

Match Penalty
Really? I don't think so. She did it well in both of her SPs and looking at the fact that she had it combo every year before this one (and the reason for the switch had nothing to do with the fact that she had a tremendous problem with the jump either) I don't really agree. I think it is a mental problem stemming from the fact that she missed it at TEB. I'm more worried that she messed up on her 3-3 at the beginning. I'd like to know what happened there.

She fell again in the warmup. NBC even did a small piece analyzing it.

kalle

On the Ice
I am really happy for Julia :rock:
It looks like she has a good shot for the Euro gold this year.She looks younger than ever and has good flow over the ice, though, her music choice should be forbidden!!

Rachael did a fantastic job out there and showed good energy today. I like this program very much but I would rather see someone as Nagasu skating to it :p

Yuna is still very good despite the mistakes and deserved to win. The Grand Prix Final will be interesting if the other ladies could live up to their potential namely in the SP.Didn't Joannie score 67-68 with "just" a 3/2 last year?I wonder what score Rachael could get in the SP if she got her 3/3 ratified..

Princesspts

Rinkside
She fell again in the warmup. NBC even did a small piece analyzing it.

I still don't think it has anything to do with an actual problem with the flip. The fall in the warmup could've made her think about during the performance. She also fell on it in an official practice before the SP and then proceeded to nail it in the SP. Like I said, who knows what the problem really is?

lakeshore

Match Penalty
I still don't think it has anything to do with an actual problem with the flip. The fall in the warmup could've made her think about during the performance. She also fell on it in an official practice before the SP and then proceeded to nail it in the SP. Like I said, who knows what the problem really is?

The NBC commentator commented her shoulder position was not quite right during take-off. She's having trouble with 3flip, period. It remains to be seen whether it will get worse.

i love to skate

Medalist
2) YuNa has a mental fixation on the 3flip specifically in her LP, stemming from the TEB incident with the uneven ice (something she could not have controlled.) We will just have to see how she deals with it. :thumbsup:

Uneven ice? Huh?

When she performed on Battle of the Blades and fell on her double axel it was quite shocking. Kurt interviewed Orser on the show as well and when Kurt called Kim the favourite going into the Olympics - you should have seen the cringe on Orser's face. I bet the pressure is getting to her. When you are hyped so much and have been on top for awhile there is no where to go but down. Hopefully she pulls it back together.

Flatt was absoltuely delightful. She sparkled out there!

It is based on skills. And based on skating skills, Kim eclipses Flatt, sorry.

True, but this time out Kim skated like a scared puppy thrown onto the ice. The program components are supposed to be about the overall effect of the program taken as a whole. Did you honestly see anything in this performance that deserved 7.50s and 7.75s in choreography, interpretation and performance?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm just glad NBC finally broadcast this in crisp clear HD. :love:

Currently editing my captured footage...

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Well, guys. Those of you who wanted her to perform worse than usually (for very different reasons), should be glad, because she did more than you wanted, she has 187 point instead of 190 as some posters wanted. :)

What's happened is very normal, I guess, because all the pressure that media put to her ("already won Olympics, the season is over") definitely couldn't help her. And now we discover incredible thing - "she is a human too". That's just funny. She is human and always was.

Today's performance, I hope, will prevent some journalists of making stupid remarks, because as we all know, the competition is not over until the last skater skated. And who knows?

Ironically, before her performance Brian was directly asked if Yuna can be beaten and after thinking about it, he said, that no, she's unbeatable. Ironically, Rachael Flatt (who did very, very good LP) won over Yuna exactly after this question. Because as we all know, and Yuna knows, and Brian, Yuna is not unbeatable. They never said things like that (unlike Tarasova, but that's another question), but when a journalist asks that question so rude, you feel like you will betray your skater if you say that she is beatable, so he answered another thing.

But anyway, even thought this performance wasn't the best, that changes nothing. Yuna Kim is the best skater and nothing can take away from her things that she'd done in the past.

So I hope that you enjoyed her struggling, but heroic performance and that little Korean skater will have her place in your heart. Please, be kind to her. :)

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
True, but this time out Kim skated like a scared puppy thrown onto the ice. The program components are supposed to be about the overall effect of the program taken as a whole. Did you honestly see anything in this performance that deserved 7.50s and 7.75s in choreography, interpretation and performance?
Definitely. All her jumps today, even the landed ones, seemed hesitant, no flow, no height. She looked scared and incredibly nervous.

Princesspts

Rinkside
The NBC commentator commented her shoulder position was not quite right during take-off. She's having trouble with 3flip, period. It remains to be seen whether it will get worse.

I agree she's having trouble with the flip, it just remains to be seen whether it is a technical issue (which you believe it is) and a mental issue (which is my stance). We will have to wait and see how she deals with it later on in the season, no matter which one it actually is.

Anyways, I don't think i've said it. Good job to both Rachel and Julia!!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, guys. Those of you who wanted her to perform worse than usually (for very different reasons), should be glad, because she did more than you wanted, she has 187 point instead of 190 as some posters wanted. :)

You must understand that I didn't WANT her to bomb. But at the same time, the fact that she did have a sub-par FS shows that she is not invincible, and thus things just got a little more interesting...

The two statements I made above may sound like they contradict each other, but it's more like one was a result of the other.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Mathman
True, but this time out Kim skated like a scared puppy thrown onto the ice.
After she makes a mistake, she starts to be nervous. I remember 4CC of the last season, one fall, but she was a bit tense until the end. And this time she made some unusual error, so It's normal that she was a bit scared.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
Yes, did you ever hear her explain why she kicked up her foot, raised her arms, and all but prepared for the 3flip and never executed it?

Nope that's the first I've heard of this explanation. That's quite an odd excuse. Did other skaters have issues with this as well? I've never heard of uneven ice before...

Daniel5555

On the Ice
R.D.
You must understand that I didn't WANT her to bomb. But at the same time, the fact that she did have a sub-par FS shows that she is not invincible, and thus things just got a little more interesting...

The two statements I made above may sound like they contradict each other, but it's more like one was a result of the other.
Hey, I didn't address it to you :) Or anyone specific...
And she didn't bomb really, otherwise she wouldn't win by overall score.

I know that you care more about interest of the competition. But it's really like that, you never know anything for sure and the more someone wins, the more pressure he has. Usually.