Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies LP Sun Nov. 15th 2:00 PM-4:00 PM

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by herro View Post
    Oh no. Well, it sounds like it'd be hard to convince you otherwise, but please. Do me one favor. After the protocols are out, go and look at every single element and the GOEs. Compare them between skaters. And then make your decision.

What is sad is that figure skating has become such a jumping competition. Remember, other elements count.
    You're talking to someone who specifically crept out of the woodworks to say something negative.

Custom Title
    Of course, her bad score is still 25 points ahead of Miki @ NHK, 11 ahead of Suzuki, and 16 ahead of Miki @ Rostelcom.

How many triple did Yuna really land? I thought she did only 2 triples. Am I the only one think her first 3Lutz looked really underrotated?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    You're talking to someone who specifically crept out of the woodworks to say something negative.
    Thanks prettykeys. Gotta learn how to tell that apart like you do!

Down With It
    Yuna wouldn't be perfect all the time- that's a given- but I did not expect her to have this near-meltdown. But her SP score carried her...Flatt beat her in the free!! I wouldn't have thought that in a million years. What a confidence booster that has to be- although Flatt maxed out her potential in that skate imo- her spins didn't seem that great to me- kinda slow.

Custom Title
    3 downgrades must be a record for Yuna?
    And wow! no downgrades for Rachael in both programs. Keep on going Rachael!

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Ok if someone wins after bombing the short and doing the long perfectly it is great job
    but if someone who exelled in the short but blew the long it is a travesty
    whats with the double standerd; it is COP not 6.0; the bombing the short is just and bad as bombing the long when it comes to points

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    Three double axels is alright since one of them is a DOUBLE AXEL TRIPLE. And she normally actually does a beautiful 3-3 in addition. So I wouldn't say its a travesty...just her execution, which was more of a shame, but I know Yuna will regroup.
    I wasn't talking about Yuna-s 2axel-triple toe. I was talking about the fact that everyone, except Rachael, are doing 3 axels. The strategy is "good" if you:

1. can do them exceedingly well, like Yuna
    2. are missing a triple because of faulty technique.

However, Rachael is the only skater to attempt all the jumps from different take offs. We see missing loops, missing lutzes, missing flips. Either the 2a gets zayaked or better create a bonus for skaters like Joannie Rochette and Carolina Kostner who can do all jumps.

Congrats to YuNa, Racheal and Julia. Surprised at YuNa's meltdown so unlike her but it happens. Rachael performed the heck out of her LP, good for her. I was impressed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2 View Post
    No, this isn't a reasonable or logical outcome. In a reasonable figure skating world, Yu Na would not have won. She is overscored to begin with but this is laughable. All those errors were significant and should have cost her the win. What a joke figure skating has become and how sad. You can be sure at least 2/3rds of the people attending could not understand this result and rightly so. It's really not worth watching anymore.
    Kyla, I will reserve judgment about whether Yuna is overscored or not in the SP: however, I do think the commentators owe it to us, the viewers, to explain why Kim's SP scores so well.

This is crucial because if it isn't apparent, people will start thinking that it has to do with favoritism. And for most of the audience, I assume it won't be apparent at all.

Also, I wonder if other skaters' SPs are simply undermarked because the judges are somehow not as generous, though they could justifiably be.

Custom Title
    I think the issue actually is more that she doesn't identify as well with her LP this season. She was extremely nervous for her short program too, but she said that when the music started, the nerves disappeared and she got into the bond girl character. I think that was key for her Scheherazade last season too. I play the piano, and its alot easier to play well when you get lost in the music and are not fully conscious of your surroundings/the situation. I think its harder for her to do this with the Gershwin piece, so she has to find some way to find a deeper connection and lose herself, so to peak.

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by herro View Post
    Oh no. Well, it sounds like it'd be hard to convince you otherwise, but please. Do me one favor. After the protocols are out, go and look at every single element and the GOEs. Compare them between skaters. And then make your decision.

What is sad is that figure skating has become such a jumping competition. Remember, other elements count.
    Oh please, a large number of GOEs are given out pretty much based on reputation. Yuna's spins and spirals are mediocre at best, I mean sure they're fast but her positions are DEFINITELY not the prettiest.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    Ok if someone wins after bombing the short and doing the long perfectly it is great job
    whats with the double standerd; it is COP not 6.0; the bombing the short is just and bad as bombing the long when it comes to points
    Because the free skate is more flexible and you earn more points and make up the difference. It's not the same the other way around. Traditionally, the free skate is the deciding factor.

Ideally, we want to say two good programs on both nights.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by enlight78 View Post
    Good point. The main reason why people get worked up because of someone winning after a not-perfect LP is that the LP is the last thing they see.

Since it's a total points system, the SP and LP are pretty much equally important and you can make up points for one program in the other. It's just more conventional and more "acceptable" for people for someone to skate a poor and come back in the long to win. It's understandable, but the other way is completely acceptable also.

Custom Title
    I don't know, I thought Yu Na deserved to win. Rachael DID win the freeskate, deservedly so, and even with her mistakes I think Yu Na's LP was above that of Julia's, singling two double axels and having some other technical problems. Plus her SP was amazing and gave her a huge lead. If Rachael had gone clean in the short, then maybe you could make the case that she should win, but she fell in the short so in that sense Yu Na should still win. If Yu Na has a melt down like this at the Olympics, I still think the only people who could beat her would be a Miki or Mao at the top of their game. People keep saying Rochette, I don't know much about her, but maybe if she puts a 3-3 in her arsenal then she could beat an off Yu Na too. That being said, I highly doubt Yu Na will meltdown again. I mean, she's YU NA KIM!

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast